Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-27-09, 08:40 PM   #13
Kaguya

Default Re: Fallout 3: Operation Anchorage is out now!

I'm downloading the add-on now, but not sure if I'm all that enamoured with Marketplace. Is there an easy way for me to backup the add-on like I can a game in Steam?
EVGA GeForce GTX 470 x2 SLI
OCZ Vertex 2 EX & Corsair P256
LG GH22NS50 22X DVD-RW SATA
Antec TruePower Quattro 1000w SLI PSU
Acer HN274H 1920x1080 3D Ready LCD
Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
Antec 900 Ultimate Gamer Case
Kaguya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-09, 08:48 PM   #14
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

what is the policy on re-download? what if you get the add-on and 2 years later you decide to reinstall it? or your hdd fails?
Old 01-27-09, 08:51 PM   #15
Kaguya

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
what is the policy on re-download? what if you get the add-on and 2 years later you decide to reinstall it? or your hdd fails?
I wonder the same. So far I'm not all that impressed with Marketplace. I don't like how Microsoft thinks it's best to keep everything a total secret from the user. I'm having difficulty finding out where the file downloaded and even where it installed. The game found it no problem, but I don't like all this guessing.
Old 01-27-09, 09:57 PM   #16
Kaguya

Some info for people who want to a) Backup the add-on and/or b) Play without being logged into GFW Live:

Quote:
It works for me now. Windows XP and Steam.

So, first you need to download the file from Games for windows LIVE file that is at around 594MB. Once you do that, I found my files at C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR LOG-ON NAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\XLive\DLC\425307d6\00000002\d96e635 e19d298dac6820680085d45c5d36b9130\Content

I just copied those files to X:\Steam\steamapps\common\fallout 3\Data

Then I started Fallout 3 from Steam. After I loaded the save I wanted to play - I started the LIVE while still being in-game. Half a second after I was connected to LIVE I got the radio signal in-game.

You need to be able to see hidden files and folders to find the files, btw. Open any random folder, like My Documents. Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> Scroll down until you find Show Hidden Files and Folders.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that when you launch it from Steam, on the first little box that appears, that allows you to play; Choose Data Files, and activate the one called Anchorage.esm in addition to the Fallout3.esm. Then launch the game.

Hope this help some of you guys, I really do. Stupid way of distributing expansion packs. It took me about 4 hours to figure this out, lol. I even searched for the files with the win xp search function without finding them.
Old 01-27-09, 10:08 PM   #17
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Yeah, for a "backup" all you need to do is copy the three files indicated... those three files work like a mod and you don't even need GFW.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-09, 12:10 AM   #18
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Really?

LOL Just like the Oblivion mods. I just backed up the mod files, which was handy as I lost a couple of the exes. ::
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-09, 12:24 AM   #19
Mike89
Dude, where's my brain?

I can't get this to work or I don't know what the hell I'm doing. I bought it. It was $12.50, not $10 (had to buy 1000 points, no option to buy just 800). I thought I had installed it but don't see how to access it in the game. When I click on Downloads in the game, I still see the Anchorage download there. There is an option to view it. I click that and game minimizes and the Live webpage loads and shows the game downloaded but not installed. I click the little install thing and it then instantly says installed. I go back to the game and still can't access it. I go to the download option again and the same things shows. I go back to the site again and it again doesn't show it as installed. I do the same install thing again and still the same.

So where are the files actually downloaded to (from the Live Marketplace) in the Steam Fallout 3 folder? I didn't see anything there. I did see them in the documents and settings folder as mentioned on a previous post (but in that folder was the folder "Content" and then 4 other files outside of the "Content" folder) but nothing in any of the Steam Fallout 3 game folders.

I even tried doing it manually by putting those 3 files from the "content" folder into the Fallout3 Data folder and checked both boxes in the Play setting from Steam. Don't know what the hell.

Do you have to be at a certain point in the game? I started a new game and just escaped from Vault 101 into the wastelands.
I7 3770 @ 4.4 gig (Noctua NH-U14S Heatsink), ASRock Z77 Extreme6, 16 Gigs (2x8) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 680 Signature 2, Acer P236H 23" (1920x1080), X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro, 2 WD 640 gig SATA HDDs, WD 750 gig HDD (eSata), WD 1TB Black HDD, Sandisk 32 GB ReadyCache SSD, 2 SATA DVD Burners, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Corsair TX750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows 7 Pro x64
Mike89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-09, 01:19 AM   #20
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

GFW puts it in a folder called "xlive" in your appdata folder. You need the two .bsa files and the .esm file from there, copy and paste to your data folder for FO3. Then check the anchorage.esm file when you load FO3, which it sounds like you already did.

Once in the game, if it appears under downloads, you're all set. The way to start the quest is to roam around outside for a while and then pick up a new radio broadcast. It will pop up like the old Oblivion add-ons did, only this time it makes much more sense.

If it is never popping up, I'm not sure what to tell you.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Old 01-28-09, 01:23 AM   #21
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Tell him you're sorry Velvet.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-09, 02:18 AM   #22
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

I'm sorry.

Old 01-28-09, 06:28 AM   #23
Ancient76
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Eurogamer review - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/fa...chorage-review

5/10!

Quote:
It's in this section that you're introduced to Operation Anchorage's best addition, enemies wearing a slinky Chinese brand of stealth armour - whether they're the crack Chinese commandos called the Crimson Dragoon that run at you with swords, or the snipers that hide in the least convenient corners possible and try to make your life a misery. They're presented and introduced a lot like the lady assassins in the original Half-Life, and undoubtedly add an extra slice of tension and surprise to the accustomed Fallout gunplay template....
What a joke
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Core 2 Duo E8400 4.2GHz / Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu
Asus P5Q Pro
Kingston DDR2 / 2x2GB
MSI 5850 Twin Frozr II
ASUS 22" VW220T
Seagate Barracuda 320GB SATA II
Corsair HX620W
Sharkoon Rebel 9
Ancient76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-09, 08:17 AM   #24
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
I haven't finished Fallout 3 yet but AFAIK the game locks the player into a room in the end (or something like that ). Does this DLC even work in that case?

Those shots look pretty good. I prefer the new setting somehow, much better than the brown
No, You must do the DLC prior to going into the final strech of the game.