Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-28-09, 08:27 AM   #25
|MaguS|

Default Re: Fallout 3: Operation Anchorage is out now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Ah I see, thanks.
Is it available at any time in the game or do you need to have a certain level? Just to start it, not to survive it
It should be available right away after installing. The game will prompt you about it...
Old 01-28-09, 08:59 AM   #26
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

$10 eh? I'll wait until it's free.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-09, 09:52 AM   #27
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
$10 eh? I'll wait until it's free.
actually 12.50 since you have to buy 1000 points, you can't just get 800 points.

btw is the genius that thought up these points, why not just use normal currency?
Old 01-28-09, 10:36 AM   #28
Mike89
Dude, where's my brain?

Quote:
It should be available right away after installing.
Well I guess that's the way it's supposed to work but it's not working that way for me. I've been cruising around for quite some time and still don't see any prompting. The Live forum is full of people having the same issue. For some it pops up quick, for some it doesn't seem to pop up at all. Dunno what the "trigger" is to get it to go, if you have to be in a certain location or at a certain point in the game or what. I'll keep playing to see "where" that moment is when it gets triggered.

So far, I'm not too crazy about this Windows Live and Market Place deal at all. Way too cumbersome for me. To get this add on to begin with, I had to go to the Windows Live website (not from Windows Live while the game). Windows Live while in the game makes no mention about an addon or anything remotely related to the game itself other than letting you connect with friends, how many bonus points you have and worthless crap like that. There is not even a section in Windows Live while in the game for information like that to even be in. Then when I went to this website, I had to do a lot of searching around to even get to the place to buy and get the download. Then it tells me I need a Windows Live Hotfix (why wasn't Windows Live each time I log on in a game telling me this). I then had to navigate to get this Hotfix, had to reboot and go back to the website to start the process all over again. Then I had to download it twice. One time the download was around 389 megs. Started game, see no addon in "Downloads", it takes me back to the website, then when I get to the download again, this time it's around 589 megs. This whole process hasn't been user friendly at all. And then when I finally get it, it doesn't seem to be working. If this Windows Live has to be in place, it should do everything from within the game itself, like popping up messages notifying about available patches or DLC and then take you to get it, install it and then take you back to the game. I wouldn't even have known about any patch or DLC if it wasn't for forums. Windows Live should be informing the person who has the Windows Live game installed when in the game about this stuff (or what the hell is it even there for). Right now I see this new trend of trying to get all the game makers on this Windows Live thing as worthless and a big waste of time.

I'm still trying to figure out what this whole Windows Live thing actually is and why it came to be. I guess someone (Microsoft) is trying to create a paradise of all game players connecting to a central location, holding hands and singing we are the world as we are playing our games. The old saying, "follow the money", I suspect that's what it's really about. Jeez, just give me the damn game, let me have control of what I want to do within it, show me where to get what I need for the game, let me do it myself, and I'll be quite good to go.
I7 3770 @ 4.4 gig (Noctua NH-U14S Heatsink), ASRock Z77 Extreme6, 16 Gigs (2x8) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 680 Signature 2, Acer P236H 23" (1920x1080), X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro, 2 WD 640 gig SATA HDDs, WD 750 gig HDD (eSata), WD 1TB Black HDD, Sandisk 32 GB ReadyCache SSD, 2 SATA DVD Burners, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Corsair TX750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows 7 Pro x64
Mike89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-09, 10:46 AM   #29
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
actually 12.50 since you have to buy 1000 points, you can't just get 800 points.

btw is the genius that thought up these points, why not just use normal currency?
Ha, if only it were that simple huh?
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-09, 04:38 PM   #30
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

I didn't have any problems... I signed into the marketplace, clicked buy, downloaded, started the game. It took like 30 seconds, other than download time.

As for the eurogamer review and the pack itself, it depends on what you're looking for. As I stated before, this is a Quake-esque action add-on and not like the rest of Fallout much at all. If you go in knowing that you should be fine.

It took me 4 hours to complete, going by my saved game's timestamps, and it gave me some awesome new gear for the rest of my gaming time. I am fully satisfied with the pack and look forward to The Pitt.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-09, 04:47 PM   #31
J-Mag
Weapon of MassConsumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
Isn't it obvious? You even allude to the reason with the $12.50 vs $10 scenario.
J-Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-09, 04:48 PM   #32
J-Mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
It took me 4 hours to complete, going by my saved game's timestamps, and it gave me some awesome new gear for the rest of my gaming time. I am fully satisfied with the pack and look forward to The Pitt.
You can keep the gear and use it in the main fallout3 world even though it's a simulation within the game?

Old 01-28-09, 04:48 PM   #33
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

You can use the leftover points on a future purchase though, like the next two Fallout packs... I would rather use real money too and have often complained about the silly MS Bucks scenario, but I wouldn't let it keep you from playing the awesome Fallout content coming out.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Old 01-28-09, 05:04 PM   #34
J-Mag

Quote:
You can use the leftover points on a future purchase though, like the next two Fallout packs...
One does not have to exercise the option merely because he has it. This is the same reason why gift cards and rebates make additional profit above and beyond the margin on the product purchased.

Quote:
I would rather use real money too and have often complained about the silly MS Bucks scenario, but I wouldn't let it keep you from playing the awesome Fallout content coming out.
I agree, but what's good for the consumer is rarely good for the corporation.
Old 01-28-09, 08:56 PM   #35
Kaguya

Quote:
You can use the leftover points on a future purchase though, like the next two Fallout packs... I would rather use real money too and have often complained about the silly MS Bucks scenario, but I wouldn't let it keep you from playing the awesome Fallout content coming out.
It's a pretty good scam on their part to use points since that extra $2.50 x n (n=number of consumers buying 1000 points for an 800 point add-on) is a pretty significant amount of free money that they can collect interest on while we wait until we can actually purchase something with those remaining 200 points
EVGA GeForce GTX 470 x2 SLI
OCZ Vertex 2 EX & Corsair P256
LG GH22NS50 22X DVD-RW SATA
Antec TruePower Quattro 1000w SLI PSU
Acer HN274H 1920x1080 3D Ready LCD
Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
Antec 900 Ultimate Gamer Case
Kaguya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-09, 09:10 PM   #36
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mag View Post
You can keep the gear and use it in the main fallout3 world even though it's a simulation within the game?
Sorry I missed this... There are some items that only exist in the sim, like winter gear, but most items you can get outside the sim. Telling you how is kind of a spoiler, but you can probably imagine how if you think about it.