Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-01-09, 11:12 PM   #349
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero
Default Re: Oblivion PC Initial Gameplay / Performance Impressions

Oblivion was really terrible in a lot of ways... Fallout 3 is a much better effort. Unless the next Elder Scrolls takes some of Fallout 3's ideas and advancements, I would rather they not do it. Another Oblivion... meh.

And that's coming from someone who loved and defended the game.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-09, 11:53 PM   #350
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

You threw it out Bearclaw? WTF?

I started playing it again, but I got distracted by Fallout 3 again.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-09, 11:59 PM   #351
Bokishi
NV THIS

Oblivion is good with loads of mods
EVGA GTX 680
X-Fi Titanium HD
Intel 40GB SSD (SRT Cache)
Hitachi 1TB Boot HDD
7TB Storage HDDs
Coolermaster 750w
Bokishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-09, 01:24 AM   #352
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
Oblivion was really terrible in a lot of ways... Fallout 3 is a much better effort. Unless the next Elder Scrolls takes some of Fallout 3's ideas and advancements, I would rather they not do it. Another Oblivion... meh.

agree
Old 02-02-09, 02:19 AM   #353
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw View Post
I always liked this game, but never finished it. I threw it out eventually.
Actually, I believe you sold it to me.

And I pray they do TES:V, and I hope it is very similar to Oblivion, only with some rather vast improvements.

I, of course, want the game to push the envolope in regards to visuals- this shall include the use of PhysX/Havok.

I also would like more dynamic AI.

I would love there to be smoothing loading as you move about the world. I don't experience stutter because of poor framerate, I experience stutter because the game is always loading the next area. If you're on foot, this isn't noticable, but on a horse it is terrible.

I'd like to have larger and more "epic" feeling battles. It was a cute attempt in Oblivion, but none of the battles felt very EPIC. Especially the last one in front of Bruma. I was left feeling a little disappointed. I want tons of character, enemies and allies alike, I want castles being seiged, I want to be running about the castle trying to help my allies fight off the enemies. I want the siege of the castles to not be so scripted. I'd like it to be very random, much like the "director" in L4D. I want to run across the castle wall, weaving in and out of the archers, and not know whether or not a flaming boulder from a catapault will hit the wall where or near where I'm at. Nothing so major it'll drastically alter the story, of course- but some thing that adds spice and replay value to the game.

I want competition in the game. In Oblivion, your character obviously improves... but what about the other adventurers? What about the other people trying to climb the ranks in teh Great Arena?

I could go on and on, but I'm tired, it's late, this should be sufficient.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-09, 02:15 PM   #354
B0ne
Booyah

The next TES needs to be super complex in terms of story, not like 3 pre-determined endings to every quest; but instead branching events caused by the player/NPCs that effect small variables that change the overall outcome. Would be super hard to do but possible if they fully used quad cores.

Need more voice actors as well.
B0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-09, 03:53 PM   #355
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by B0ne View Post
The next TES needs to be super complex in terms of story, not like 3 pre-determined endings to every quest; but instead branching events caused by the player/NPCs that effect small variables that change the overall outcome. Would be super hard to do but possible if they fully used quad cores.

Need more voice actors as well.
QFT and +1.

EVERYTHING about the next TES needs to be more... dynamic. Not sure if "dynamic" is the right word for what I'm after though... can't think of a better one.
Old 02-02-09, 04:55 PM   #356
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Bethesda is great at creating worlds, like Rockstar, but they suck at creating great dialogue and stories. Fallout 3 was a HUGE step forward for them, and while it still pales in comparison to the older games or something like GTA4, it was a large step forward they can't come back from.

If TES5 has a new, unique world that is up to their standards, and Fallout 3-esque quests, and even better dialogue, it could be a 10 out of 10.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-09, 07:38 PM   #357
B0ne
Booyah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
QFT and +1.

EVERYTHING about the next TES needs to be more... dynamic. Not sure if "dynamic" is the right word for what I'm after though... can't think of a better one.
Dynamic is pretty much the defining word for what the next TES needs to be like; for instance say my character murders someone on Oblivion, the person dies an life goes on. But in TESV you murder someone and there family should be aware of it and perhaps a few game weeks later, a member of the family has suited up on a quest to avenge their family member.

Pretty rough idea, but you get the picture.
B0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-09, 07:45 PM   #358
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by B0ne View Post
Dynamic is pretty much the defining word for what the next TES needs to be like; for instance say my character murders someone on Oblivion, the person dies an life goes on. But in TESV you murder someone and there family should be aware of it and perhaps a few game weeks later, a member of the family has suited up on a quest to avenge their family member.

Pretty rough idea, but you get the picture.
No, that is *precisely* what I'm referring to. Less "generic" and "bland", and obvioulsy scripted, events.

There have been multiple times when, during combat, I'd accidently strike down a friend. There should be evident "social" repercussions for that.

Far more dynamic interactivity is what is necessary, IMO. A little more "random event generation" thrown in, just like what L4D has only a bit more "extreme", and I'd be satisfied.

Heck, if the graphics remained 100% the same as Oblivion only smoother loading from area to area, and they added everything else we've beed discussing, I'd be happy.