Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-14-03, 05:51 AM   #13
Worf

I now have installed Win98 again. And Nero 5 (was bundled with the Writer). I did simulate a view writes, and there was no problem so far. I guess this means that it won't be easy to return the board. Or won't help. So back to Linux.

Are there any nforce2 related things happening in the kernels? are patches available that might fix something? Any acpi news on nforce2? ...
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-03, 05:24 AM   #14
Worf

Kernel 2.4.22 is out, but still no change to my problem
All i can do now is create the iso file in linux and burn it in Windows. That sucks!
Old 08-30-03, 11:26 PM   #15
kgroombr
Using Linux Since 1995

Get the 2.4.23-pre2. I forgot that I had patched my kernel with two updates, both of which are in the 2.4.23-pre2 kernel.

I had about a dozen different kernel source trees (desparate to fix my lockup problem, I tried everything) and I named them as they named the kernel (ie 2.4.22-rc2, 2.4.22-bk21, etc). Applying the patches didn't change the name of the kernel, so I forgot about doing that.

The two patches were acpi and apic updates. Again, both are included in the 2.4.23-pre2 kernel.

Remember to tell the kernel "noapic nolapic", as well as disabling APIC in the BIOS, and compiling the kernel with local apic and io apic removed.

The day after I found the fix, I flew out for an emergency job and I didn't get back until yesterday. I ran the computer all day, doing everything I possibly could to get it to lock up.

The only lockup I did have was loading Mandrake 9.2 RC2. The Mandrake load kernel has either APIC compiled in, and/or doesn't have the nolapic patch on it. Submitted it as a bug. Hopefully it gets resolved.
kgroombr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-03, 04:32 AM   #16
Worf

Ok - i now have tested with 2.4.23-pre2 (and -pre3)

I also got a chance to test on a Abit and a Epox board with nforce2, and with a other burner from a friend. And additionally to my kernels, i tested with Mandrake and Knoppix.

Result:

All nforce2 boards lead to that timeout with system hang when using my burner (Yamaha CRW3200E) , No matter which kernel or which setting. (only exeption: it's burning fine with udma disabled - oh, and it's working in Windows, too)

On all other boards i tried (my old via kt133, and my old celeron and p2 boards) the burner works flawlessly, also it's possible to put the burner into a ide-usb2 case and burn at all speeds (1-24x)

My friends burner workes fine on all nforce boards i tried.

Conclusion:

I am the lucky owner of a combination that simply doesn't work.