Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-04-09, 04:13 AM   #37
Rakeesh
 
Rakeesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sonoran Desert
Posts: 6,873
Default Re: European Union at it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Come on guys, this is what happens when Microsoft tie IE into the OS so tight and other of their software. Firefox doesn't tie itself into the OS, no sofware like this should.

Ever wonder why Office requeries service packs to be installed before you can even install it, I mean it's a damn piece of software tied into the core of the OS. Apple do this as well(Apple dont have a Monopoly like Microsoft do or huge share), you need a X version of leopard to even run their software such as iLife.

OpenOffice 3 will run on XP/Vista without service packs(even windows 2000 with Sp2), see the point?
...

No.

This has nothing to do with how "tied into the OS" the software is. With each service pack there comes additional features and functionality added to the windows API that newer versions of their software might require to function with. There is always more than one way for a programmer to make a given piece of software perform a given task.

Microsoft probably used features new to these service packs in their newer versions of office. They could have used another "more compatible" route for sure when they wrote the software that doesn't require a newer API backend. But instead, for whatever reason, they decided that they'd rather have the user update their version of windows than write the newer software using legacy code.

Is that the right or wrong way to do it? Really depends on who you ask, but ultimately there is no right or wrong way. Some ways, however, obviously offend some people (such as yourself) for no apparent reason.
__________________
Want to listen to audio without your computer going to sleep? Try this.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-09, 04:35 AM   #38
Runningman
Registered User
 
Runningman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 925
Default Re: European Union at it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Yer, I guess we'll will have to use software and OS's that dont suck.
and when was the last time europe created their own OS let alone one that doesnt "suck"?, oh ya, thats right, never.
Runningman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-09, 05:45 AM   #39
Shamrock
Royalty gone awry
 
Shamrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,612
Default Re: European Union at it again

never? Where do you think Linux came from? Linus Torvalds is from Finland, and most distros of linux are from Germany.
__________________
They're after me Lucky Charms!

AMD Phenom II 955BE
16GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1333Mhz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850
Logitech Z-5300 5.1 THX surround sound
HANNS-G 28" LCD
ZBoard Merc Gaming Keyboard
CoolerMaster HAF-932 Full Tower Case
Windows 7 Pro x64
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-09, 08:36 AM   #40
EciDemon
Registered User
 
EciDemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,423
Send a message via ICQ to EciDemon
Default Re: European Union at it again

This is dumb, it was a bit different back when we had ie 3 or what not and netscape.
I think those Eu bozos learned from the best
EciDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-09, 09:10 AM   #41
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: The 'burbs, IL USA
Posts: 12,502
Default Re: European Union at it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
never? Where do you think Linux came from? Linus Torvalds is from Finland, and most distros of linux are from Germany.
We're talking about operating systems that don't suck.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-09, 12:52 PM   #42
Sean_W
Registered User
 
Sean_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,423
Default Re: European Union at it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningman View Post
and when was the last time europe created their own OS let alone one that doesnt "suck"?, oh ya, thats right, never.
Oh ofcourse I know you people here are mostly from the U.S and dont mostly have a passports or think the world revolves around your country. Yes Linus comes from Finland, most of the worlds servers are run on Linux.

Instead of talking anti Europe, how about you get your head out your arse and see Microsoft for who they really are. The U.S government broke Microsoft up because of it's anti competitive nature, you do business in other parts of the world, you do it by their rules. You people think they are attacking them because they are anti American, for money?, sorry but get your head out your arse and see the real reasons.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-09, 01:02 PM   #43
Sean_W
Registered User
 
Sean_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,423
Default Re: European Union at it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK View Post
...

No.

This has nothing to do with how "tied into the OS" the software is. With each service pack there comes additional features and functionality added to the windows API that newer versions of their software might require to function with. There is always more than one way for a programmer to make a given piece of software perform a given task.

Microsoft probably used features new to these service packs in their newer versions of office. They could have used another "more compatible" route for sure when they wrote the software that doesn't require a newer API backend. But instead, for whatever reason, they decided that they'd rather have the user update their version of windows than write the newer software using legacy code.

Is that the right or wrong way to do it? Really depends on who you ask, but ultimately there is no right or wrong way. Some ways, however, obviously offend some people (such as yourself) for no apparent reason.
I really dont think so, the "more compatitble" is a read herring, software shouldn't require this. It's funny, you look at other OS's like Linux and they dont do such things and ARE compatible and their software is ALOT more cross platform compatible.

If Microsoft was to port their Office to Linux it should require minimal important stuff, you wouldn't and shouldn't need the very latest distro for it to work proper.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-09, 01:25 PM   #44
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicagoland, once a year in Poland
Posts: 24,366
Default Re: European Union at it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by einstein_314 View Post
Hey question, does the EU make Apple release a version of OSX with no media player (ie itunes and quicktime)? I don't think they do....
no they don't Apple is not being harassed yet.
__________________
Windows 8 the next big failure, right after Windows ME
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-09, 01:29 PM   #45
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicagoland, once a year in Poland
Posts: 24,366
Default Re: European Union at it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
never? Where do you think Linux came from? Linus Torvalds is from Finland, and most distros of linux are from Germany.
linux is still light years away from mass acceptance and use. you even mentioned one of the biggest issues with linux.

There are two many distros, how many different distros are there? couple hundred? maybe more, then how many versions of each distro?
__________________
Windows 8 the next big failure, right after Windows ME
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-09, 01:48 PM   #46
Sean_W
Registered User
 
Sean_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,423
Default Re: European Union at it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
linux is still light years away from mass acceptance and use. you even mentioned one of the biggest issues with linux.

There are two many distros, how many different distros are there? couple hundred? maybe more, then how many versions of each distro?
Thats got nothing to do with it, it's actually a good thing with Linux, but hold on a minute, Microsoft did the same thing with Vista.

BTW, few distros have big companies behind them, about 99% of them are made by people like you and me. Linux is being sold on netbooks, laptops, Eeepc's and one of the reason why it's not mass market is because , well this thread says it all, Microsoft and it's anti competitive ways.

Linux on the desktop has grown, Microsoft's share has fallen, no bad for a OS that doesn't advertise anything like Microsoft or Apple do.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-09, 01:59 PM   #47
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicagoland, once a year in Poland
Posts: 24,366
Default Re: European Union at it again

you really are a blind linux user

there was 6 version of vista, same OS released in 99.999% sililar feature set.

and you are comparing that you ammount of linux distros?
http://distrowatch.com/stats.php?section=popularity

that is only amount of different versions (distros) of linux, not counting how many different versions there are for each distro.

btw, people really love that linux on netbook, that is why returns are 4 times higher.

Quote:
You mention the return rates being high. Has that been the case with the Wind as well?
We have done a lot of studies on the return rates and havenít really talked about it much until now. Our internal research has shown that the return of netbooks is higher than regular notebooks, but the main cause of that is Linux. People would love to pay $299 or $399 but they donít know what they get until they open the box. They start playing around with Linux and start realizing that itís not what they are used to. They donít want to spend time to learn it so they bring it back to the store. The return rate is at least four times higher for Linux netbooks than Windows XP netbooks.
http://blog.laptopmag.com/msi-wind-c...ls-coming-soon
__________________
Windows 8 the next big failure, right after Windows ME
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-09, 02:14 PM   #48
Sean_W
Registered User
 
Sean_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,423
Default Re: European Union at it again

Yes because those people are used to Windows and you didn't read my point about most of them distros are not even bothered about mass market production, alot of them are made by one a hand full of people.

People didn't return the hardware because of Linux, they did because they are used to Windows and Yes even Windows gets returned.

Yes there are about 6 versions of Linux distros that people know You get people all the time asking what version of Windows is best for me. It's funny, alot of companies do alot of different versions of their products, there are lots of Rock bands so your point is not really valid.

So really according to you we should have a couple of every product, only grow 3 types of Apple, really narrow minded way of thinking.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Video: Opening Session ' HPC Advisory Council European Workshop News Archived News Items 0 06-17-12 06:10 AM
New Union - Post-Apocalyptic RPG Shooter set in Russia dikinher Gaming Central 5 06-08-12 11:01 AM
Rumour: Ex-STALKER devs form Union Studio, developing Fallout/Rage inspired shooter News Archived News Items 0 06-01-12 01:10 PM
Interview: PRACE Scientific Conference at ISC'12 to Showcase European HPC News Archived News Items 0 06-01-12 06:30 AM
European regulators offer Google chance to settle antitrust violations News Archived News Items 0 05-21-12 11:10 AM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2014, nV News.