Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 7

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-05-09, 11:49 PM   #1
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicagoland, once a year in Poland
Posts: 24,366
Default Microsoft: We Need for 6 Windows 7 SKUs

Yesterday, we learned that Microsoft would be shipping Windows 7 in six different versions -- but it won’t be as confusing as the different versions of Vista, explains Windows general manager Mike Ybarra.

ZoomWhile there will be six known versions of Windows 7 coming at launch, Microsoft assures that most of us will only have to deal with two. “With Windows 7 there will be two primary editions: Windows 7 Home Premium, and Windows 7 Professional. We think those two SKUs will meet most customers needs,” said Ybarra.

Of course, some may argue that so many different SKUs just cause consumer confusion -- which is a warranted complaint on some levels -- but Microsoft’s operating system is so ubiquitous that it has to serve everyone and at different levels. Apple’s single version of Mac OS X is great simplicity, but the reach of Apple’s computers can’t compare to Windows.

Ybarra explained, “Within a customer base of over one billion, there are a lot of important customer niches, or segments, and we want to make sure we have an appropriate product for everybody.”

So the rainbow of versions are here to stay, but at least Microsoft appears to have incorporated some common sense between the different versions.

“The first change in Windows 7 was to make sure that editions of Windows 7 are a superset of one another. That is to say, as customers upgrade from one version to the next, they keep all features and functionality from the previous edition,” said Ybarra. “As an example, some business customers using Windows Vista Business wanted the Media Center functionality that is in Windows Vista Home Premium but didn’t receive it in Business edition. Customers won’t have to face that trade-off with Windows 7. With Windows 7 there is a more natural progression from one edition to the next.”

As we learned yesterday, all different versions of Windows 7 will ship on the same disc image. Those wanting to upgrade to a higher-tiered version simply need to purchase a new product key to “unlock” the additional features.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/win...ness,6963.html

i like that idea, only reason why i bought Ultimate because it combined Home Premium with Business.
__________________
Windows 8 the next big failure, right after Windows ME
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09, 06:36 AM   #2
Bearclaw
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Microsoft: We Need for 6 Windows 7 SKUs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
Yesterday, we learned that Microsoft would be shipping Windows 7 in six different versions -- but it won’t be as confusing as the different versions of Vista, explains Windows general manager Mike Ybarra.

ZoomWhile there will be six known versions of Windows 7 coming at launch, Microsoft assures that most of us will only have to deal with two. “With Windows 7 there will be two primary editions: Windows 7 Home Premium, and Windows 7 Professional. We think those two SKUs will meet most customers needs,” said Ybarra.

Of course, some may argue that so many different SKUs just cause consumer confusion -- which is a warranted complaint on some levels -- but Microsoft’s operating system is so ubiquitous that it has to serve everyone and at different levels. Apple’s single version of Mac OS X is great simplicity, but the reach of Apple’s computers can’t compare to Windows.

Ybarra explained, “Within a customer base of over one billion, there are a lot of important customer niches, or segments, and we want to make sure we have an appropriate product for everybody.”

So the rainbow of versions are here to stay, but at least Microsoft appears to have incorporated some common sense between the different versions.

“The first change in Windows 7 was to make sure that editions of Windows 7 are a superset of one another. That is to say, as customers upgrade from one version to the next, they keep all features and functionality from the previous edition,” said Ybarra. “As an example, some business customers using Windows Vista Business wanted the Media Center functionality that is in Windows Vista Home Premium but didn’t receive it in Business edition. Customers won’t have to face that trade-off with Windows 7. With Windows 7 there is a more natural progression from one edition to the next.”

As we learned yesterday, all different versions of Windows 7 will ship on the same disc image. Those wanting to upgrade to a higher-tiered version simply need to purchase a new product key to “unlock” the additional features.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/win...ness,6963.html

i like that idea, only reason why i bought Ultimate because it combined Home Premium with Business.
QFT. I like how they changed that around a bit. Looks like W7 Pro for me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09, 08:40 AM   #3
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,948
Default Re: Microsoft: We Need for 6 Windows 7 SKUs

WTF haven't they learned anything?? Vista had all these SKUs and was the least popular OS ever (http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...s_os_ever.html). Considering the large failure of Vista why would you do anything even remotely the same???

Greed makes people f'n stupid.

Just sell ONE version, Ultimate and that should run $150.
__________________
i7-2600k @ 4.6Ghz, Zotac GTX 680 (1310/7000), 16GB DDR3 1600, 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 RAID 0, Windows 7 x64, CPU and GPU custom watercooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09, 08:44 AM   #4
Bearclaw
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Microsoft: We Need for 6 Windows 7 SKUs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
WTF haven't they learned anything?? Vista had all these SKUs and was the least popular OS ever (http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...s_os_ever.html). Considering the large failure of Vista why would you do anything even remotely the same???

Greed makes people f'n stupid.

Just sell ONE version, Ultimate and that should run $150.
That's one of the things Apple did right. ONE version, and it costs about 130.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09, 08:50 AM   #5
mullet
 
mullet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,067
Default Re: Microsoft: We Need for 6 Windows 7 SKUs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw View Post
That's one of the things Apple did right. ONE version, and it costs about 130.
Agreed.
__________________
• LIAN-LI PC-A70B • ASUS MAXIMUS V FORMULA (0701) • i7-3770k + NOCTUA|NH-D14 • Intel 520 240GB SSD • G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 1600 •
• EVGA GeForce GTX 680 • PCP&C 750 Quad • ASUS BD-ROM • DELL U2711 H-IPS + DELL 2209WA e-IPS• Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1 • Logitech Z5500 5.1 •
mullet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09, 08:53 AM   #6
Bearclaw
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Microsoft: We Need for 6 Windows 7 SKUs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullet View Post
Agreed.
In all honesty, they can't deny that it isn't about the money. Sure, every company needs to make money to continue to operate but there prices for licenses are ridiculous.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09, 09:38 AM   #7
ViN86
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,486
Default Re: Microsoft: We Need for 6 Windows 7 SKUs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
WTF haven't they learned anything?? Vista had all these SKUs and was the least popular OS ever (http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...s_os_ever.html). Considering the large failure of Vista why would you do anything even remotely the same???

Greed makes people f'n stupid.

Just sell ONE version, Ultimate and that should run $150.
first off, Vista was the least popular OS because of the FUD campaign launched by Apple. also, Vista wasnt a failure. there were 100M copies sold as of January 08.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9055739

Vista works perfectly for me, and i get the same framerates and performance in Windows 7 that i do in Vista.

that being said, no OS is worth a $400 pricetag.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09, 09:43 AM   #8
Bearclaw
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Microsoft: We Need for 6 Windows 7 SKUs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
first off, Vista was the least popular OS because of the FUD campaign launched by Apple. also, Vista wasnt a failure. there were 100M copies sold as of January 08.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9055739

Vista works perfectly for me, and i get the same framerates and performance in Windows 7 that i do in Vista.

that being said, no OS is worth a $400 pricetag.
That's my biggest gripe.

They were talking about maybe giving some sort of compensation for people who bought Vista after a certain date; i hope they do that.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-09, 10:50 AM   #9
ASUSEN7900GTX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,646
Default Re: Microsoft: We Need for 6 Windows 7 SKUs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw View Post
In all honesty, they can't deny that it isn't about the money. Sure, every company needs to make money to continue to operate but there prices for licenses are ridiculous.
it´s called Monopoly
no competition adn they can charge a million dollars for it if they wan´t.

they kow that there sin´t need for all these silly versions but!

more money for a company in no need for more millions but greed is greed and goes ahnd in hand with stupidity adn i some cases ultametly consumes the company/person too much greed si not good and that is what M$ is and stuipid too
__________________
Intel I7 920
gigabyte HD6970 2gb
6GB DDR3
Asus P6t deluxe V2

"be to others as you want others to be against you"
some wiseass came up with it
ASUSEN7900GTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09, 10:53 AM   #10
methimpikehoses
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Microsoft: We Need for 6 Windows 7 SKUs

+1 for monopoly

Monopolies aren't good, kids.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09, 11:03 AM   #11
Bearclaw
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Microsoft: We Need for 6 Windows 7 SKUs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSEN7900GTX View Post
it´s called Monopoly
no competition adn they can charge a million dollars for it if they wan´t.

they kow that there sin´t need for all these silly versions but!

more money for a company in no need for more millions but greed is greed and goes ahnd in hand with stupidity adn i some cases ultametly consumes the company/person too much greed si not good and that is what M$ is and stuipid too
I realize what is going on, and I know what it's called.

I was just agreeing with a previous post by saying that it shouldn't cost a fortune.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09, 11:12 AM   #12
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,948
Default Re: Microsoft: We Need for 6 Windows 7 SKUs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
first off, Vista was the least popular OS because of the FUD campaign launched by Apple. also, Vista wasnt a failure. there were 100M copies sold as of January 08.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9055739

Vista works perfectly for me, and i get the same framerates and performance in Windows 7 that i do in Vista.

that being said, no OS is worth a $400 pricetag.
They may have sold 100M but there aren't any figures on how many of those people went back to XP. Same thing with the bundled copies. I know alot of people went back to the OEMs and bought XP to replace Vista.

Vista didn't fail because of Apple either.

Vista failed because of high hardware requirements. Windows 7 runs on my laptop that cannot run Vista decently with only 1GB ram and 2.4Ghz P4. I dont need more power for a surfing / email laptop so never felt inclined to upgrade. Vista failed because it wouldnt run on older systems, Vista failed because it couldnt run on many laptops. Vista failed because most people didnt have 8 GB of ram, DX10 GPUs and Quad core CPUs which it needs to run "well". Vista failed because it was Vista. You can lie to yourself all you want but thats the fact of the matter, Apple holds what 3% market share? You really think Apple cause Vista to fail? my God have I got some beachfront property to sell you...

Moving on ...MS learned alot from the Vista failure which is why Windows 7 is going to be RTM by the end of the year a comment I made last yet and was ridiculed by the likes of Nekro and Vin for. Imagine that I was right, I knew I was. Windows 7 is being fast-tracked to win back the folks with older PCs that went back to XP, also for the laptop users that Vista just was too much for.

Further, to get back on topic - we don't need 11 SKUs (including x64). We need one or two actually, Windows 7 Ultimate x86 and x64, thats it. One OS that gives you everything and is affordable. That is the only area Apple is winning in. MS stop being so greedy and listen to your customers already. Oh yea and Vista didn't work "perfectly" until SP1 even at that point "perfect" wouldnt be the right word for it. SP2 is coming along nicely I'm running SP2 on two machines here and its much more like Windows7 with CPU and memory usage.
__________________
i7-2600k @ 4.6Ghz, Zotac GTX 680 (1310/7000), 16GB DDR3 1600, 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 RAID 0, Windows 7 x64, CPU and GPU custom watercooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hands-on with Microsoft Surface, a tablet targeting the iPadâ?¦and Ultrabooks News Archived News Items 0 06-19-12 12:00 AM
Why Windows 8 could be the next Vista News Archived News Items 0 06-15-12 10:30 AM
Like XP or Vista: how will businesses treat Windows 8? News Archived News Items 0 06-06-12 09:10 AM
NVIDIA Brings 18 Years of Experience to Windows 8 News Archived News Items 0 06-03-12 06:20 AM
$15 Windows 8 upgrades available from Microsoft through January 2013 News Archived News Items 0 06-01-12 11:50 AM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2014, nV News.