Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 7

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-06-09, 11:24 AM   #13
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: Microsoft: We Need for 6 Windows 7 SKUs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
Vista didn't fail because of Apple either.
I hate to dig on Apple here, but if anyone thinks Vista didn't sell good because of a handful of commercials, you need a new brain. Can we look at the percentage of Apple users again? Isn't it still around/less than 10% of the market share? Again, I hate to dig on Apple but if those commercials were so successful at diverting PC users from buying a new desktop/laptop or a copy of Vista, should Apple have about 30%+ market share by now?

Vista is reached the "OK" status but it won't get any better than that? Why is it just "OK"? Because of performance issues. Vista is slow unless you have a pretty good setup; it won't run decent IMO on anything less than a 2GHz CPU, 2GB of RAM and a decent video chipset. I wouldn't dare put Vista on anything less than that, aka, my Dell laptop.

Windows 7 Beta has worked wonders on my Dell laptop where Vista can't, and that's why I think W7 will succeed.

Now, onto pricing for this. I think that Microsoft should drastically slash prices on this OS as an apology to all Windows users who bought new desktops/laptops because their semi-new (2 year old) desktop/laptop couldn't run with Vista before hand. I would pay $100 for a copy of W7 Pro but probably not much over that. Too bad I get a free copy from work

Speaking of work, I downgraded from the W7 beta to Vista Business just because W7 isn't compatible with Logmein and a few of the new features interupt my workflow.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09, 12:49 PM   #14
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

The Apple commercials are actually funny but not because they are always baggin on Microsoft and PCs, which Macs are anyways. They are funny because the products are so overpriced that its commical that Apple would even try to spout their BS with a straight face. Which is probably why Justin 'Pot Head' Long is the pitchman. Let's face it the people using Apple computers are either ederly (which I understand) or coffee shop douche bags and bagettes. Only people that have failed at life use Apple computers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09, 12:59 PM   #15
ASUSEN7900GTX

i agree with the point of MS price taging Windows for as much as they can since no one can compete with them no other os works with apps as windows does and because no one is making games for linux that works on windows...and again i think it because microsoft has monopoly adn DX is a microsoft product.
Not said DX doesnīt work onlinux if linux got better on gaming MS wouls loose millions of customers to linux.

still i canīt justify a OS at the price tag od a gtx295 in sweden and iīm not ****ting ya either
Asus P6t deluxe V2

"be to others as you want others to be against you"
some wiseass came up with it
ASUSEN7900GTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09, 03:01 PM   #16
Medion

Quote:
Vista failed because most people didnt have 8 GB of ram, DX10 GPUs and Quad core CPUs which it needs to run "well". Vista failed because it was Vista. You can lie to yourself all you want but thats the fact of the matter, Apple holds what 3% market share? You really think Apple cause Vista to fail? my God have I got some beachfront property to sell you...
Two things that you're wrong about here. First, a dual-core and 2GB of RAM is all you need to run Vista well. Lose the quad-core and 8GB nonsense, that's a fallacy. Secondly, while Apple does have low market share, those commercials did slow the adoption of Vista. Those advertisements caused a lot of computer illiterates to believe things about Vista that weren't true. Those ads did more to slow Vista sales, than to promote Apple sales.
Medion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09, 03:53 PM   #17
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

joe aka mailman still full of crap
Old 02-06-09, 04:15 PM   #18
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Nekros still always wrong.

Quote:
Old 02-06-09, 06:04 PM   #19
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSEN7900GTX View Post
itīs called Monopoly
no competition adn they can charge a million dollars for it if they wanīt.

they kow that there sinīt need for all these silly versions but!

more money for a company in no need for more millions but greed is greed and goes ahnd in hand with stupidity adn i some cases ultametly consumes the company/person too much greed si not good and that is what M$ is and stuipid too
Yeah, sure sucks how Microsoft's profits enabled Bill Gates to become the most gracious, charitable man EVER BORN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by methimpikehoses View Post
+1 for monopoly

Monopolies aren't good, kids.

Yeah, I miss the 80's where you needed 12 platforms to run every program. I also wish we had 40 powerplants in my area with 40 transmission lines coming to my home.

You must have missed the lesson on "natural monopolies" and why they are good in 3rd grade.
evilchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09, 06:56 PM   #20
Medion

Quote:
Nekros still always wrong.
Nekro can't stand me. If he agrees with me, there's got to be a good reason. And, since you didn't dispute anything that I said, or that he agreed to, then you're the one still wrong

Just hit Alt+F4 if that trail of logic lost you...again.

Old 02-06-09, 07:31 PM   #21
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medion View Post
Nekro can't stand me. If he agrees with me, there's got to be a good reason. And, since you didn't dispute anything that I said, or that he agreed to, then you're the one still wrong

Just hit Alt+F4 if that trail of logic lost you...again.
haha Nekro is a social outcast. He doesn't like anyone that doesn't share his opinion...which I believe is most everyone. Oh well no big loss there.

Quote:
Old 02-06-09, 09:23 PM   #22
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medion View Post
First, a dual-core and 2GB of RAM is all you need to run Vista well. Lose the quad-core and 8GB nonsense, that's a fallacy.
Agreed. Although I will say that a dual-core and 2GB RAM is MINIMUM for Vista. MINIMUM.

Quote:
Secondly, while Apple does have low market share, those commercials did slow the adoption of Vista. Those advertisements caused a lot of computer illiterates to believe things about Vista that weren't true. Those ads did more to slow Vista sales, than to promote Apple sales.
I really doubt this, although MS really did NOTHING to rebuttle against the Apple ads until the whole Jerry Seinfeld idea came around. But that's MS's fault. I really, really doubt that the Apple ads had a huge affect on the computer illiterates. The Apple ads were simple, but in most cases true . . .

:six_storm runs from the Vista lovers:

six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09, 09:45 PM   #23
Shamrock
Royalty gone awry

I would sell the core Win7 for about $79-99, then sell the Ultimate, Pro, Premiums as modules for like $59-79

AMD Phenom II 955BE
16GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1333Mhz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850
Logitech Z-5300 5.1 THX surround sound
HANNS-G 28" LCD
ZBoard Merc Gaming Keyboard
CoolerMaster HAF-932 Full Tower Case
Windows 7 Pro x64
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09, 10:14 PM   #24
Medion

Quote:
Agreed. Although I will say that a dual-core and 2GB RAM is MINIMUM for Vista. MINIMUM.
For basic internet and word processing, you can get by on a dual-core and 1GB of RAM, but I'd recommend actually having superfetch set to OFF. Otherwise, I agree, dual-core and 2GB is minimum, but the performance will be solid with those specs.

Quote:
I really doubt this, although MS really did NOTHING to rebuttle against the Apple ads until the whole Jerry Seinfeld idea came around. But that's MS's fault. I really, really doubt that the Apple ads had a huge affect on the computer illiterates. The Apple ads were simple, but in most cases true . . .
Those ads usually took a truth, and stretched it into the realm of the absurd. I've heard a lot of people tell me why they won't use Vista, and typically, it's garbage recited from one of these ads. 9 out of 10 times when I ask if this person has ever used Vista, the answer is no. Those ads have been very effective, combined with the Pre-SP1 Vista, of slowing Vista sales. And before SP1 had time to gain traction and reverse the damage done of launch Vista, Win 7 was announced.