Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 7

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-06-09, 11:24 AM   #13
six_storm
Registered User
 
six_storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Nashvegas
Posts: 11,575
Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: Microsoft: We Need for 6 Windows 7 SKUs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
Vista didn't fail because of Apple either.
I hate to dig on Apple here, but if anyone thinks Vista didn't sell good because of a handful of commercials, you need a new brain. Can we look at the percentage of Apple users again? Isn't it still around/less than 10% of the market share? Again, I hate to dig on Apple but if those commercials were so successful at diverting PC users from buying a new desktop/laptop or a copy of Vista, should Apple have about 30%+ market share by now?

Vista is reached the "OK" status but it won't get any better than that? Why is it just "OK"? Because of performance issues. Vista is slow unless you have a pretty good setup; it won't run decent IMO on anything less than a 2GHz CPU, 2GB of RAM and a decent video chipset. I wouldn't dare put Vista on anything less than that, aka, my Dell laptop.

Windows 7 Beta has worked wonders on my Dell laptop where Vista can't, and that's why I think W7 will succeed.

Now, onto pricing for this. I think that Microsoft should drastically slash prices on this OS as an apology to all Windows users who bought new desktops/laptops because their semi-new (2 year old) desktop/laptop couldn't run with Vista before hand. I would pay $100 for a copy of W7 Pro but probably not much over that. Too bad I get a free copy from work

Speaking of work, I downgraded from the W7 beta to Vista Business just because W7 isn't compatible with Logmein and a few of the new features interupt my workflow.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09, 12:49 PM   #14
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,948
Default Re: Microsoft: We Need for 6 Windows 7 SKUs

The Apple commercials are actually funny but not because they are always baggin on Microsoft and PCs, which Macs are anyways. They are funny because the products are so overpriced that its commical that Apple would even try to spout their BS with a straight face. Which is probably why Justin 'Pot Head' Long is the pitchman. Let's face it the people using Apple computers are either ederly (which I understand) or coffee shop douche bags and bagettes. Only people that have failed at life use Apple computers.
__________________
i7-2600k @ 4.6Ghz, Zotac GTX 680 (1310/7000), 16GB DDR3 1600, 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 RAID 0, Windows 7 x64, CPU and GPU custom watercooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09, 12:59 PM   #15
ASUSEN7900GTX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,646
Default Re: Microsoft: We Need for 6 Windows 7 SKUs

i agree with the point of MS price taging Windows for as much as they can since no one can compete with them no other os works with apps as windows does and because no one is making games for linux that works on windows...and again i think it because microsoft has monopoly adn DX is a microsoft product.
Not said DX doesnīt work onlinux if linux got better on gaming MS wouls loose millions of customers to linux.

still i canīt justify a OS at the price tag od a gtx295 in sweden and iīm not ****ting ya either
__________________
Intel I7 920
gigabyte HD6970 2gb
6GB DDR3
Asus P6t deluxe V2

"be to others as you want others to be against you"
some wiseass came up with it
ASUSEN7900GTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09, 03:01 PM   #16
Medion
 
Medion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Barksdale AFB, La
Posts: 1,238
Default Re: Microsoft: We Need for 6 Windows 7 SKUs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
Vista failed because most people didnt have 8 GB of ram, DX10 GPUs and Quad core CPUs which it needs to run "well". Vista failed because it was Vista. You can lie to yourself all you want but thats the fact of the matter, Apple holds what 3% market share? You really think Apple cause Vista to fail? my God have I got some beachfront property to sell you...
Two things that you're wrong about here. First, a dual-core and 2GB of RAM is all you need to run Vista well. Lose the quad-core and 8GB nonsense, that's a fallacy. Secondly, while Apple does have low market share, those commercials did slow the adoption of Vista. Those advertisements caused a lot of computer illiterates to believe things about Vista that weren't true. Those ads did more to slow Vista sales, than to promote Apple sales.
Medion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09, 03:53 PM   #17
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicagoland, once a year in Poland
Posts: 24,366
Default Re: Microsoft: We Need for 6 Windows 7 SKUs

joe aka mailman still full of crap
__________________
Windows 8 the next big failure, right after Windows ME
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09, 04:15 PM   #18
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,948
Default Re: Microsoft: We Need for 6 Windows 7 SKUs

Nekros still always wrong.
__________________
i7-2600k @ 4.6Ghz, Zotac GTX 680 (1310/7000), 16GB DDR3 1600, 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 RAID 0, Windows 7 x64, CPU and GPU custom watercooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09, 06:04 PM   #19
evilchris
 
evilchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 4,411
Default Re: Microsoft: We Need for 6 Windows 7 SKUs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSEN7900GTX View Post
itīs called Monopoly
no competition adn they can charge a million dollars for it if they wanīt.

they kow that there sinīt need for all these silly versions but!

more money for a company in no need for more millions but greed is greed and goes ahnd in hand with stupidity adn i some cases ultametly consumes the company/person too much greed si not good and that is what M$ is and stuipid too
Yeah, sure sucks how Microsoft's profits enabled Bill Gates to become the most gracious, charitable man EVER BORN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by methimpikehoses View Post
+1 for monopoly

Monopolies aren't good, kids.

Yeah, I miss the 80's where you needed 12 platforms to run every program. I also wish we had 40 powerplants in my area with 40 transmission lines coming to my home.

You must have missed the lesson on "natural monopolies" and why they are good in 3rd grade.
evilchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09, 06:56 PM   #20
Medion
 
Medion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Barksdale AFB, La
Posts: 1,238
Default Re: Microsoft: We Need for 6 Windows 7 SKUs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
Nekros still always wrong.
Nekro can't stand me. If he agrees with me, there's got to be a good reason. And, since you didn't dispute anything that I said, or that he agreed to, then you're the one still wrong

Just hit Alt+F4 if that trail of logic lost you...again.
Medion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-09, 07:31 PM   #21
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,948
Default Re: Microsoft: We Need for 6 Windows 7 SKUs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medion View Post
Nekro can't stand me. If he agrees with me, there's got to be a good reason. And, since you didn't dispute anything that I said, or that he agreed to, then you're the one still wrong

Just hit Alt+F4 if that trail of logic lost you...again.
haha Nekro is a social outcast. He doesn't like anyone that doesn't share his opinion...which I believe is most everyone. Oh well no big loss there.
__________________
i7-2600k @ 4.6Ghz, Zotac GTX 680 (1310/7000), 16GB DDR3 1600, 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 RAID 0, Windows 7 x64, CPU and GPU custom watercooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09, 09:23 PM   #22
six_storm
Registered User
 
six_storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Nashvegas
Posts: 11,575
Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: Microsoft: We Need for 6 Windows 7 SKUs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medion View Post
First, a dual-core and 2GB of RAM is all you need to run Vista well. Lose the quad-core and 8GB nonsense, that's a fallacy.
Agreed. Although I will say that a dual-core and 2GB RAM is MINIMUM for Vista. MINIMUM.

Quote:
Secondly, while Apple does have low market share, those commercials did slow the adoption of Vista. Those advertisements caused a lot of computer illiterates to believe things about Vista that weren't true. Those ads did more to slow Vista sales, than to promote Apple sales.
I really doubt this, although MS really did NOTHING to rebuttle against the Apple ads until the whole Jerry Seinfeld idea came around. But that's MS's fault. I really, really doubt that the Apple ads had a huge affect on the computer illiterates. The Apple ads were simple, but in most cases true . . .


:six_storm runs from the Vista lovers:


six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09, 09:45 PM   #23
Shamrock
Royalty gone awry
 
Shamrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,612
Default Re: Microsoft: We Need for 6 Windows 7 SKUs

I would sell the core Win7 for about $79-99, then sell the Ultimate, Pro, Premiums as modules for like $59-79
__________________
They're after me Lucky Charms!

AMD Phenom II 955BE
16GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1333Mhz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850
Logitech Z-5300 5.1 THX surround sound
HANNS-G 28" LCD
ZBoard Merc Gaming Keyboard
CoolerMaster HAF-932 Full Tower Case
Windows 7 Pro x64
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09, 10:14 PM   #24
Medion
 
Medion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Barksdale AFB, La
Posts: 1,238
Default Re: Microsoft: We Need for 6 Windows 7 SKUs

Quote:
Agreed. Although I will say that a dual-core and 2GB RAM is MINIMUM for Vista. MINIMUM.
For basic internet and word processing, you can get by on a dual-core and 1GB of RAM, but I'd recommend actually having superfetch set to OFF. Otherwise, I agree, dual-core and 2GB is minimum, but the performance will be solid with those specs.

Quote:
I really doubt this, although MS really did NOTHING to rebuttle against the Apple ads until the whole Jerry Seinfeld idea came around. But that's MS's fault. I really, really doubt that the Apple ads had a huge affect on the computer illiterates. The Apple ads were simple, but in most cases true . . .
Those ads usually took a truth, and stretched it into the realm of the absurd. I've heard a lot of people tell me why they won't use Vista, and typically, it's garbage recited from one of these ads. 9 out of 10 times when I ask if this person has ever used Vista, the answer is no. Those ads have been very effective, combined with the Pre-SP1 Vista, of slowing Vista sales. And before SP1 had time to gain traction and reverse the damage done of launch Vista, Win 7 was announced.
Medion is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hands-on with Microsoft Surface, a tablet targeting the iPadâ?Ķand Ultrabooks News Archived News Items 0 06-19-12 12:00 AM
Why Windows 8 could be the next Vista News Archived News Items 0 06-15-12 10:30 AM
Like XP or Vista: how will businesses treat Windows 8? News Archived News Items 0 06-06-12 09:10 AM
NVIDIA Brings 18 Years of Experience to Windows 8 News Archived News Items 0 06-03-12 06:20 AM
$15 Windows 8 upgrades available from Microsoft through January 2013 News Archived News Items 0 06-01-12 11:50 AM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Đ1998 - 2014, nV News.