Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 7

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-20-09, 06:41 AM   #13
Buio

Default Re: Windows 7 Games Explorer = Stale

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrox View Post
Windows 7 isn't coming out so quickly after Vista because of a lack of adoption from the gamers, it's corporate America they're targeting... you know, the people that DIDN'T buy Vista.
And they upgrade only when their special applications run well on the new system, and Windows 7 doesn't run those better than Vista. In fact as there are new changes in the OS there might be more problems. Application compatibility is the most important thing, after that it is performance on current hardware and ease of adoption for the users.

Windows 7 has a new taskbar and changes in the UI which means re-learning the users how it works, which costs time and money. Even if it is better than Vista, it doesn't mean anything for users that isn't snapping up new things as fast as us and is set on how XP is working.

One thing that is an advantage for Windows 7 is the press it's getting. Vista generally got a lot of bad press, and it does affect adoption.

Also, you are forgetting Microsofts recent push for Games for Windows Live, which would suit well with better games support in Windows 7. And the new pc games marketplace etc. There was even a Microsoft employee posting on the games forum here, but I couldn't find the thread.
Buio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-09, 06:41 PM   #14
Buio

It is possible to edit the shortcuts and even add extra ones yourself.

The shortcuts for all users game explorer is in
\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\GameExplorer

The shortcuts for currect user are in (which is where shortcuts you manually dragged to the Game Explorer will be)
Users\[Username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\GameExplorer

In both cases they are in folders with a {GUID} key, but if you open those and then \PlayTasks\0\ there will be a shortcut to the game which is editable.

At least I managed to fix 2 games by editing this way (both where auto added but had problems). It is also possible to add extra right-click menu commands by adding numerical folders like f.e. \PlayTasks\1\ and add another shortcut there.
Old 02-07-09, 08:26 PM   #15
Starscream
Decepticook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buio View Post
They should at least add the feature to spice up (those that not support it) and edit games. Currently Windows 7 games explorer is worse than Vista's and Vista's isn't good. :P

The idea is good, to have a place where all your games are accessed and you can get info/updates on them. But the execution needs work.
I thought that was the start menu.
Old 02-07-09, 10:13 PM   #16
ChAsM
Passionately Objective

I think I need to recant former statements I've made praising Win7. I'm starting to despise the bugginess; especially with IE8. But there's other pieces of it, too.

I know, I know...it's a beta. But they "BETA" get their asses in gear and fix this POS.

my .02
ChAsM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-09, 11:39 PM   #17
Buio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
I thought that was the start menu.
It should be obvious what I meant, but I'll try to explain so it's easy to understand;

It's an attempt to make it better standardized and more organized, with all game options in one place/icon (right click it to get alternative start options, updates, readmes and whatever). If you have installed many games (and other apps) on Windows XP you would know that the start menu gets cluttered with many sub-folders and icons named whatever the parent or developer company thought was best. And games might have 5-6 icons for uninstall/readme/webpage/game etc.

By the way, with Windows 7 games that are installed in the games explorer automatically get a icon in Start Menu\Games. So people can start them from there too.
Old 02-07-09, 11:52 PM   #18
XxDeadlyxX
STALKER!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAsM View Post
I think I need to recant former statements I've made praising Win7. I'm starting to despise the bugginess; especially with IE8. But there's other pieces of it, too.

I know, I know...it's a beta. But they "BETA" get their asses in gear and fix this POS.

my .02
IE8 is no angel under Vista either, Beta 2 crashed on me probably 50 times.
Main PC [Core i7 980X @ 4.3GHz] [Gigabyte X58A-UD7] [7TB of HDDs] [2x Inno3D GTX 480 SLI @ stock] [12GB Team Xtreem 7-7-7-24 @ 1500mhz] [Antec 1200] [Alienware AW2310 (general use/3D Vision) and Samsung 46B650 @ 1080p24] [X-Fi Forte] [Pioneer Blu-ray BDC-S02] [Silverstone Strider 1500W] [Creative Gigaworks S750 7.1] [Windows 7 x64] 3DMark Vantage - 38010
XxDeadlyxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-09, 01:11 AM   #19
Lfctony

Quote:
Also, there are no good new ideas, like f.e. being able to have Games Explorer on the Taskbar making it easy to start games (can't add it to taskbar because it's an explorer window afaik).
What? It's quite possible to do that already in Vista unless you mean its impossible for W7 only...
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

PS2 - Wii - Xbox - Xbox360 - PSP - GC - PS3 Owner

Boycott Starforce...

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
Lfctony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-09, 02:55 AM   #20
Starscream
Decepticook

Quote:
It should be obvious what I meant, but I'll try to explain so it's easy to understand;

It's an attempt to make it better standardized and more organized, with all game options in one place/icon (right click it to get alternative start options, updates, readmes and whatever). If you have installed many games (and other apps) on Windows XP you would know that the start menu gets cluttered with many sub-folders and icons named whatever the parent or developer company thought was best. And games might have 5-6 icons for uninstall/readme/webpage/game etc.

By the way, with Windows 7 games that are installed in the games explorer automatically get a icon in Start Menu\Games. So people can start them from there too.
You mean there's a right click? I had no idea.

Old 02-08-09, 06:18 AM   #21
Sgt_Pitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw View Post
No. FAIL.
Only retards would add extra clicks to get thier games running.
Old 02-08-09, 09:07 AM   #22
Buio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfctony View Post
What? It's quite possible to do that already in Vista unless you mean its impossible for W7 only...
No, you can't pin different parts of explorer except Control Panel afaik.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Pitt View Post
Only retards would add extra clicks to get thier games running.
Games on the desktop can be hidden by active Windows you have open, which leads to extra clicks/hotkeys to hide Windows. In the end it's just up to personal preference, not being a retard or not.
Old 02-08-09, 09:22 AM   #23
Lfctony

Quote:
No, you can't pin different parts of explorer except Control Panel afaik.
I still don't understand what you mean. You originally said "cant put Games Explorer on task bar"... I have a shortcut to games explorer on my taskbar this very moment. Unless you were talking about something else...

Quote:
Also, there are no good new ideas, like f.e. being able to have Games Explorer on the Taskbar making it easy to start games (can't add it to taskbar because it's an explorer window afaik)
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

PS2 - Wii - Xbox - Xbox360 - PSP - GC - PS3 Owner

Boycott Starforce...

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
Lfctony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-09, 09:42 AM   #24
Buio

Yeah, but shortcut and pin isn't the same in Windows 7. Pin works like the "pin to start menu". Per default there is no shortcuts in the Win 7 taskbar.