Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-08-09, 10:06 AM   #61
ggking7

Default Re: Xine vdpau announcement

Will there ever be an "automatic" sort of deinterlacer so you don't have to explicitly enable it? From what I've read, enabling a deinterlacer on content that is not interlaced is a bad idea so I can't leave it on all the time.
ggking7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-09, 11:59 AM   #62
Stephen Warren

I believe the temporal and temporal spatial deinterlacers should detect and operate OK with actually-progressive material. If you have any specific problems with this, please provide some example clips and repro steps, and we can look into it some more.
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-09, 08:45 PM   #63
Lost Dog

Is anyone using xine-vdpau for watching DVD's? I get horrible tearing when there is horizontal panning. This only happens in xine-vdpau when using the vdpau driver. When I use the xv driver everything is smooth as can be.

Composite is disabled in xorg.config.

In the config setting the vdpau driver I use:

Code:
xine-vdpau -pfhq --no-splash --auto-scan dvd
In the config stetting the xv driver I use:

Code:
xine -pfhq --post tvtime:method=Greedy2Frame,enable=1,chroma_filter=1,pulldown=vektor,framerate_mode=full,judder_correction=1,use_progressive_frame_flag=1,cheap_mode=0 --post unsharp:luma_amount=0.5 --no-splash --auto-scan dvd
Has anyone else experienced the same issued when playing DVDs?

On a side note, when using vdpau for DVDs most the time xine does not even register when viewing the "top" command. It will maybe peak at 1% or 2%. With the above command line and xv drivers it's around 40% to 50%.

Edit: When playing DVD's using VDPAU and mythtv's internal player I do not get the tearing with horizontal panning. I do however get momentary freezing every minute or so.

Neil
Lost Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-09, 09:05 PM   #64
jyavenard
MythTV developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Warren View Post
I believe the temporal and temporal spatial deinterlacers should detect and operate OK with actually-progressive material. If you have any specific problems with this, please provide some example clips and repro steps, and we can look into it some more.
Is there a minimum hardware requirements for the temporal and temporal spatial?

because even with the latest nvidia chipset (including my 9400 based motherboard), they are more than struggling with those.
jyavenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-09, 09:26 PM   #65
Uberman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Dog View Post
Is anyone using xine-vdpau for watching DVD's? I get horrible tearing when there is horizontal panning. This only happens in xine-vdpau when using the vdpau driver. When I use the xv driver everything is smooth as can be.
Funny you should bring that up.

Background: I've just spent that last several days trying to find an operating system that would play x264-encoded films (720p & 1080p). I have been using FC8, xine 0.99.5, and an NVIDIA 8500GT using the NVIDIA 180.27 drivers, out to a 1360x768 Samsung LCD TV, and for the most part, it has done well. I've been noticing some slight stutters in the video, so I wanted to see if anything else out there did better.

I tried Vista 32- and 64-bit, and Unbuntu 8.10 32- and 64-bit. Vista played the codec pretty much flawlessly using XBMC and the NVIDIA 181.20 drivers. Ubuntu...well, that's a sad story. I was at first much impressed with it, but no matter what I tried, I could not get a player (mplayer, xine, XBMC, MythTV) to play the x264 content without noticable video tearing. I tried running them normally, running them with real-time priority (chrt -r 99), even tried the VDPAU version of mplayer. For me, they were unplayable.

I then went back to my FC8 system, and built the mplayer-vdpau executable there. I played the same two movies (Iron Man 720p, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone 1080p) using both my software-only xine, and the mplayer-vdpau. I really did expect the VDPAU player to give me better video, but it too caused video tearing of the same movies that xine 0.99.5 plays without tearing!

I'm coming to the conclusion that VDPAU is only useful for machines with underpowered resources (CPUs, memory). If you have power (my machine is a Core 2 Duo overclocked to 3GHz w/ 2GB DDR2 memory + the NVIDIA 8500GT video card), then empirical evidence suggests that software rendering is actually going to give you a better video experience.

Just thought I'd throw my recent experiences and my $0.02 in.
Uberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-09, 11:06 PM   #66
MarkG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberman View Post
Funny you should bring that up.

Background: I've just spent that last several days trying to find an operating system that would play x264-encoded films (720p & 1080p). I have been using FC8, xine 0.99.5, and an
both my software-only xine, and the mplayer-vdpau. I really did expect the VDPAU player to give me better video, but it too caused video tearing of the same movies that xine 0.99.5 plays without tearing!
The ones that show tearing for me are h.264 files encoded from 1080i interlaced film sources that probably should be inverse telecined, but show at 29.97. Even though it should be enabled I get

vo_vdpau: enabled features: inverse_telecine=0

in the logfile. I'm not sure of the correct settings to use bob deintelacing but also do inverse telecine, or should deinterlacing be off?

Mark
MarkG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-09, 02:04 PM   #67
ggking7

I'm still working on getting miro to use the vdpau codecs when xine-driver=vdpau is set. It is using vdpau for videout as I can see from terminal output. xine decoder selection is said to be made in the attached file but I can't figure it out. Can anyone tell me if that is the case?
Attached Files
File Type: txt xine_impl.c.txt (12.2 KB, 214 views)
Old 02-10-09, 02:07 PM   #68
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberman View Post
I really did expect the VDPAU player to give me better video, but it too caused video tearing of the same movies that xine 0.99.5 plays without tearing!
As has been posted many times already, you currently need to disable the Composite extension to get completely tear-free video delivery.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-09, 02:18 PM   #69
DeeZiD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
As has been posted many times already, you currently need to disable the Composite extension to get completely tear-free video delivery.
Will it be possible to play tear-free video if composite is enabled in the future? (like in vista or macosx)

Dennis
DeeZiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-09, 02:22 PM   #70
ggking7

Just tried to compile the latest but I got:

/bin/sh ../../libtool --mode=compile x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../../include -I../.. -I../../include -I../../include -I../../src -I../../src/xine-engine -I../../src/xine-engine -I../../src/xine-utils -I../../src/input -I../../src/input -I../../lib -I../../lib -fvisibility=hidden -D_REENTRANT -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DXINE_COMPILE -march=athlon64 -O2 -msse3 -pipe -frename-registers -ffunction-sections -Wall -Wchar-subscripts -Wnested-externs -Wcast-align -Wmissing-declarations -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-format-attribute -Wformat=2 -Wno-format-zero-length -Wstrict-aliasing=2 -DNDEBUG -c -o xineplug_decode_vdpau_mpeg12_la-vdpau_mpeg12.lo `test -f 'vdpau_mpeg12.c' || echo './'`vdpau_mpeg12.c
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../../include -I../.. -I../../include -I../../include -I../../src -I../../src/xine-engine -I../../src/xine-engine -I../../src/xine-utils -I../../src/input -I../../src/input -I../../lib -I../../lib -fvisibility=hidden -D_REENTRANT -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DXINE_COMPILE -march=athlon64 -O2 -msse3 -pipe -frename-registers -ffunction-sections -Wall -Wchar-subscripts -Wnested-externs -Wcast-align -Wmissing-declarations -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-format-attribute -Wformat=2 -Wno-format-zero-length -Wstrict-aliasing=2 -DNDEBUG -c vdpau_mpeg12.c -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/xineplug_decode_vdpau_mpeg12_la-vdpau_mpeg12.o
vdpau_mpeg12.c: In function 'decode_render':
vdpau_mpeg12.c:590: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer might break strict-aliasing rules
vdpau_mpeg12.c:596: warning: unused variable 'info'
vdpau_mpeg12.c:616: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer might break strict-aliasing rules
vdpau_mpeg12.c: In function 'vdpau_mpeg12_decode_data':
vdpau_mpeg12.c:735: error: 'vdpau_mpeg12_decoder_t' has no member named 'video_step'
vdpau_mpeg12.c:736: error: 'vdpau_mpeg12_decoder_t' has no member named 'video_step'
vdpau_mpeg12.c: In function 'vdpau_mpeg12_flush':
vdpau_mpeg12.c:789: warning: unused variable 'this'
vdpau_mpeg12.c: In function 'open_plugin':
vdpau_mpeg12.c:860: warning: return makes pointer from integer without a cast
vdpau_mpeg12.c: At top level:
vdpau_mpeg12.c:955: warning: initialization discards qualifiers from pointer target type
make[2]: *** [xineplug_decode_vdpau_mpeg12_la-vdpau_mpeg12.lo] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/media-libs/xine-lib-1.1.9999/work/xine-vdpau/src/libvdpau'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/media-libs/xine-lib-1.1.9999/work/xine-vdpau/src'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
Old 02-10-09, 02:24 PM   #71
Stephen Warren

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeZiD View Post
Will it be possible to play tear-free video if composite is enabled in the future? (like in vista or macosx)
It's certainly on our TODO list, but I can't make specific promises if/when it'll happen right now.

FYI, to get rid of the tearing, you can either:
a) Disable the X composite extension
b) Run a compositing manager, and make sure the compositing manager's rendering is set up to sync-to-VBlank (e.g. via OpenGL settings)
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-09, 02:24 PM   #72
bexbier

hy

had the same problem, here a fix ( dont know if this is correct so, but it works )

Quote:
--- /usr/src/xine-vdpau/src/libvdpau/vdpau_mpeg12.c 2009-02-10 20:22:50.000000000 +0100
+++ /usr/src/xine-vdpau/src/libvdpau/vdpau_mpeg12.c.new 2009-02-10 20:18:25.000000000 +0100
@@ -732,8 +732,8 @@
sequence_t *seq = (sequence_t*)&this->sequence;

if (buf->decoder_flags & BUF_FLAG_FRAMERATE) {
- this->video_step = buf->decoder_info[0];
- _x_stream_info_set(this->stream, XINE_STREAM_INFO_FRAME_DURATION, this->video_step);
+ seq->video_step = buf->decoder_info[0];
+ _x_stream_info_set(this->stream, XINE_STREAM_INFO_FRAME_DURATION, seq->video_step);
}

if ( !buf->size )
regards

bex
bexbier is offline   Reply With Quote