Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-11-09, 01:29 PM   #1
Dreamweavernoob
Desperate code
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 790
Default Which card to buy?

I am updating my system and need some help on a card to buy. My money is limited but I need to upgrade from my 7800gtx

I do not have the money to buy a i7 system so I will be buying a quad core with a cheap motherboard. Maybe the Q9550.


I have listed the potential cards:

XFX ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 2048MB 289

BFG GeForce GTX 285 OC 1024MB 279

EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 55nm 187

BFG GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 379



I will not be upgrading my pc for a fair bit of time. The GTX 295 is the most expensive and will clear me out of money but if its considered the best bet ill get it. The GTX 260 is a fair bit cheaper but im not sure if saving 100 is clever for long run.

I run off a tv which is 1920x1200. I like high quality for my graphics but I do not really care about AA (can not really tell difference).

The games I play are: BF2, Cryostatis, Burnout and I would like to play Crysis.

many thanks
__________________
If you attack a prostitute, is it rape or merely shoplifting?
Dreamweavernoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-09, 01:51 PM   #2
Revs
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 6,365
Default Re: Which card to buy?

You'd need the 295 to play Crysis, GTA4 and a few others at that res on high settings. TBH if you're changing the mobo anyway I'd get an NVidia mobo and two 260's for how cheap they are now.
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-09, 02:10 PM   #3
Dreamweavernoob
Desperate code
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 790
Default Re: Which card to buy?

I wish to try my best to stay away from SLI as I have heard many bad things (as well as good). I am an enthusiast to a point but I just wish to play games without hassle. Even the GTX 295 and the 4870X2 have their downsides.

I hate selecting hardware :S Normally it is very fun, but since im not building top range pc I just want to get functional stuff.

Next year I will buy super pc
__________________
If you attack a prostitute, is it rape or merely shoplifting?
Dreamweavernoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-09, 02:22 PM   #4
walterman
Rayne
 
walterman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,525
Default Re: Which card to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamweavernoob View Post
...
I run off a tv which is 1920x1200. I like high quality for my graphics but I do not really care about AA (can not really tell difference).

The games I play are: BF2, Cryostatis, Burnout and I would like to play Crysis.
...
If you do not care about AA, and you have a limited budget, i think that the GTX 260 55nm will do a nice work.

You also can get a "cheap" SLI board, like Revs said, and add a 2nd GTX 260 in the future, if you are not happy.
__________________
ASUS Rampage Formula X48 | Xeon 3350 @ 3.6 GHz (450x8/1.26v) | 4x1GB OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Reaper CL3 @ 900 MHz 3-4-4-15 | 1 x eVGA GTX 285 SSC | 1 x ASUS EN8800GTX (PhysX/CUDA -> Burnt by nVidia 196.75 driver) | X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty PCIe | 1 x Intel X25-M G2 80GB | 2 x 750GB WD RE2 7500AYYS SATA2 16MB | Samsung SH-B083L SATA | Enermax Revolution 1250W | Samsung SyncMaster 275T 27" 1920x1200 | Thermaltake Black Armor | BloodRayne 2 FSAA Patch
walterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-09, 02:40 PM   #5
DaveChambers
nVidiot!
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Virginia
Posts: 176
Default Re: Which card to buy?

I'd go for the 55nm GTX 260, just seems like the best bang for the buck when you're on a budget. As well as being able to add in a second one in the future without draining your kids college fund after the build is said and done.
DaveChambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-09, 03:16 PM   #6
Dreamweavernoob
Desperate code
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 790
Default Re: Which card to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterman View Post
If you do not care about AA, and you have a limited budget, i think that the GTX 260 55nm will do a nice work.

You also can get a "cheap" SLI board, like Revs said, and add a 2nd GTX 260 in the future, if you are not happy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveChambers View Post
I'd go for the 55nm GTX 260, just seems like the best bang for the buck when you're on a budget. As well as being able to add in a second one in the future without draining your kids college fund after the build is said and done.


I was just ready to come to a conclusion, then your sage posts have made me think again

I think the 285 GTX is out of the running. For only 10 more I can get a 4870x2 which seems a better bet.

However its the question of whether I should spend 30% less and get a 260gtx.

Decisions Decisions.

The money I have set aside for this is not important money. eg its not money needed for bills etc, so its not that much waste.
__________________
If you attack a prostitute, is it rape or merely shoplifting?
Dreamweavernoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-09, 03:48 PM   #7
Revs
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 6,365
Default Re: Which card to buy?

I've no experience with ATI cards but I read their drivers aren't as good as NVidia's. Maybe someone could confirm?
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-09, 03:57 PM   #8
methimpikehoses
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Which card to buy?

ATI's drivers are inferior IMO.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-09, 04:15 PM   #9
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
*BANNED*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 214
Default Re: Which card to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamweavernoob View Post
I am updating my system and need some help on a card to buy. My money is limited but I need to upgrade from my 7800gtx

I do not have the money to buy a i7 system so I will be buying a quad core with a cheap motherboard. Maybe the Q9550.


I have listed the potential cards:

XFX ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 2048MB 289

BFG GeForce GTX 285 OC 1024MB 279

EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 55nm 187

BFG GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 379



I will not be upgrading my pc for a fair bit of time. The GTX 295 is the most expensive and will clear me out of money but if its considered the best bet ill get it. The GTX 260 is a fair bit cheaper but im not sure if saving 100 is clever for long run.

I run off a tv which is 1920x1200. I like high quality for my graphics but I do not really care about AA (can not really tell difference).

The games I play are: BF2, Cryostatis, Burnout and I would like to play Crysis.

many thanks

First, the CPU you picked (Q9550) is an awesome choice. 12MG L2Cache is much better than an E8600 for the same money. The new CPU price War just came to my attention last night. Just be sure to OC it.

Second, if you can find a Mainboard : Gigabyte P35-S3G (Chipset : Intel P35) like mine for $79.99 get it. It is so dependable that all the people I told to buy it are nubs but none of them have needed one single second of help.

Third, the Video Card choice must include a Trade Up strategy approach. In just the nick of time I traded up from a GTX280 to a GTX295. And did it early enough to avoid the frenzy.

Forth, the frenzy. The GTX295 is the only card to consider. But it's out of your price range. Every body has learned that the GTX295 does not have the Micro Stutter and SLI Profile problems like the 7950GX2, 9800GX2, and even the 4870X2. Just try and get a GTX295 at Newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...d&Order=PRICED

So, upgrade your existing computer, use the 7800 you already have and watch the prices carefully. Most importantly figure out a Trade Up strategy. 90 to 100 days after purchasing a GTX280 for $450 I almost Traded Up to a GTX285 that retailed for only $379. And I would have had to pay nothing. But luckily I spent a mere $99 more for a GTX295 Trade Up. If if I call the next nVidia series the GTX300- idk what to call it- you have to strategize (Google) when will it be out.

The performance going from a 7800 to any GTX200 will blow you away- along with a Quad CPU with 12MB Cache. I had a 7800GT on a 939 system and just going to an 8800GTX was SICK! But what if you got a GTX200 series at just the right time so that it was possible the Trade up for a GTX300 series?

Besides, see what improvement the new build with the same video card gives you. By the time you purchaise, build, tweek, tweek, so much time can transpire. And before a new card the system it goes on should be super duper Road Tested. While you shop, wait, build etc. you can research.

GL
Bee_Dee_3_Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-09, 08:12 PM   #10
Dreamweavernoob
Desperate code
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 790
Default Re: Which card to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee_Dee_3_Dee View Post
First, the CPU you picked (Q9550) is an awesome choice. 12MG L2Cache is much better than an E8600 for the same money. The new CPU price War just came to my attention last night. Just be sure to OC it.

Second, if you can find a Mainboard : Gigabyte P35-S3G (Chipset : Intel P35) like mine for $79.99 get it. It is so dependable that all the people I told to buy it are nubs but none of them have needed one single second of help.

Third, the Video Card choice must include a Trade Up strategy approach. In just the nick of time I traded up from a GTX280 to a GTX295. And did it early enough to avoid the frenzy.

Forth, the frenzy. The GTX295 is the only card to consider. But it's out of your price range. Every body has learned that the GTX295 does not have the Micro Stutter and SLI Profile problems like the 7950GX2, 9800GX2, and even the 4870X2. Just try and get a GTX295 at Newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...d&Order=PRICED

So, upgrade your existing computer, use the 7800 you already have and watch the prices carefully. Most importantly figure out a Trade Up strategy. 90 to 100 days after purchasing a GTX280 for $450 I almost Traded Up to a GTX285 that retailed for only $379. And I would have had to pay nothing. But luckily I spent a mere $99 more for a GTX295 Trade Up. If if I call the next nVidia series the GTX300- idk what to call it- you have to strategize (Google) when will it be out.

The performance going from a 7800 to any GTX200 will blow you away- along with a Quad CPU with 12MB Cache. I had a 7800GT on a 939 system and just going to an 8800GTX was SICK! But what if you got a GTX200 series at just the right time so that it was possible the Trade up for a GTX300 series?

Besides, see what improvement the new build with the same video card gives you. By the time you purchaise, build, tweek, tweek, so much time can transpire. And before a new card the system it goes on should be super duper Road Tested. While you shop, wait, build etc. you can research.

GL
Many thanks for you long reply, and I thank you for the time you took. I had an answer written but my pc crashed.

I can get a p35 board very very cheap and I can also pick up a Q5500. Based on your opinion I will buy them tomorrow them as my pc is falling apart very quickly and its driving me mad. The only issue is the card. Im leaning towards the 4870x2 but my head tells me to go for the GTX 260 and ride it out.



decisions


Thanks again for your valuable input.
__________________
If you attack a prostitute, is it rape or merely shoplifting?
Dreamweavernoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-09, 08:58 PM   #11
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
*BANNED*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 214
Default Re: Which card to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamweavernoob View Post
Many thanks for you long reply, and I thank you for the time you took. I had an answer written but my pc crashed.

I can get a p35 board very very cheap and I can also pick up a Q5500. Based on your opinion I will buy them tomorrow them as my pc is falling apart very quickly and its driving me mad. The only issue is the card. Im leaning towards the 4870x2 but my head tells me to go for the GTX 260 and ride it out.



decisions


Thanks again for your valuable input.
np and everyone knows u meant Q9550. (right?)
Bee_Dee_3_Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-09, 09:24 PM   #12
WeReWoLf
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Australia
Posts: 5,015
Send a message via MSN to WeReWoLf
Default Re: Which card to buy?

I prefer single card solutions myself, and I'd be leaning towards either the 260, or the 285. The 1Gb memory on the 285 means plenty of buffer for the higher rez. To give you an idea, i have a 280, and my flatmate bought a 295. I get no slowdown in GTA4 with high textures, he gets slowdown every 2 - 3 secs because he has less memory buffer.

Yes, the 4870x2 might only be 10 more, but the 285 performs nearly as good, and it's only 1 card.

The Q9550 is a good choice, very nice CPU. Overclocks nicely.
WeReWoLf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gainward Unleashes the Sexy GeForce GTX 670 Phantom Graphics Card, Also launches the News Archived News Items 0 05-10-12 09:28 AM
NVIDIA Unleashes the GeForce GTX 670 Graphics Card ' Performance Perfected (WCCFTECH) News GeForce GTX 670 Reviews 0 05-10-12 08:40 AM
Video card upgrade advice needed Billy34 NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series 5 08-28-02 05:19 PM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.