Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-11-09, 08:09 PM   #37
jafar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14
Default Re: Integrated Geforce 8200 woes: high X CPU on video playback

Hey, all --

We have positive reports over at this thread:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=125471

Seems like a good time to give it a try.
jafar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-09, 07:49 AM   #38
zim2dive
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 145
Default Re: Integrated Geforce 8200 woes: high X CPU on video playback

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafar View Post
Hey, all --

We have positive reports over at this thread:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=125471

Seems like a good time to give it a try.
Yes, 180.29 is definitely worth a try. So far so good for me (minimal time to test, but so far things look like what I expected when I bought the system.. ie. it would work well )
zim2dive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-09, 01:19 PM   #39
hpeters
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 7
Default Re: Integrated Geforce 8200 woes: high X CPU on video playback

The problem is still there for me.
It's intermediate sometimes X use's 17% when playing back 1080i mpeg2 then I will fast forward and it will jump to 100%. It keeps going back and forth between those levels seemingly randomly every time I fast forward.
If I put in a 7300gs everything is normal and it stays at 17% all the time.
hpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-09, 02:06 PM   #40
zim2dive
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 145
Default Re: Integrated Geforce 8200 woes: high X CPU on video playback

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeters View Post
The problem is still there for me.
It's intermediate sometimes X use's 17% when playing back 1080i mpeg2 then I will fast forward and it will jump to 100%. It keeps going back and forth between those levels seemingly randomly every time I fast forward.
If I put in a 7300gs everything is normal and it stays at 17% all the time.
can you give details.. specific content (maybe a sample mpg we can all download) and what player you are using?

Does this only happen when you fast-forward?
zim2dive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-09, 06:51 PM   #41
hpeters
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 7
Default Re: Integrated Geforce 8200 woes: high X CPU on video playback

Quote:
Originally Posted by zim2dive View Post
can you give details.. specific content (maybe a sample mpg we can all download) and what player you are using?

Does this only happen when you fast-forward?
I am using Mythtv. Trunk version 19845 to be specific.
It doesn't happen just when fast forwarding. I can start watching a video and it will start out fine at the normal 17% then suddenly jump to 100%.
The video can be anything. Standard def 720x480 mpeg2, High def 720p or 1080i mpeg2 and 720p h.264 doesn't matter.

These problems happen when using xv-blit (Xvideo) playback profile in Mythtv.

The distribution is Gentoo and I have tried both xorg-server 1.4.2 and 1.5.3 with the same results.
I can post video if some one really wants it but there is nothing special about it. It happens on all video from all the source's I record from. ( pvr 250, hdhomerun, hdpvr )

The good news is with the 180.29 driver 2d is working faster and vdpau is working very well for me.
hpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-09, 11:12 AM   #42
jdeslip
Registered User
 
jdeslip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 87
Default Re: Integrated Geforce 8200 woes: high X CPU on video playback

Hi Guys,

Not to hijack this thread. Put I also have an on board 8200 and am using it for mythtv. I was hoping you could tell me if you have the following problems:

I can not use the nvidia driver at all without adding vmalloc=256MB to my grub kernel line. If it is absent the nvidia driver fails to load.

For any driver > 173 (even 180.29), the hdmi out seems screwed up. It doesn't quite fit on my tv screen and the colors are wonky. The VGA out to the tv (which has VGA in) seems fine though.

I cannot use the program guide during live tv as it crashes.

VDPAU works well for the 180.29 driver when it starts, but on a lot of recorded tv, it says unable to initialize video, (the terminal spits out errors saying can't initialize vdpau buffers).

Are these common symptoms of the IGP 8200, or is something screwed on my setup?
jdeslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-09, 04:07 PM   #43
hpeters
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 7
Default Re: Integrated Geforce 8200 woes: high X CPU on video playback

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeslip View Post
Hi Guys,

Not to hijack this thread. Put I also have an on board 8200 and am using it for mythtv. I was hoping you could tell me if you have the following problems:

I can not use the nvidia driver at all without adding vmalloc=256MB to my grub kernel line. If it is absent the nvidia driver fails to load.

For any driver > 173 (even 180.29), the hdmi out seems screwed up. It doesn't quite fit on my tv screen and the colors are wonky. The VGA out to the tv (which has VGA in) seems fine though.

I cannot use the program guide during live tv as it crashes.

VDPAU works well for the 180.29 driver when it starts, but on a lot of recorded tv, it says unable to initialize video, (the terminal spits out errors saying can't initialize vdpau buffers).

Are these common symptoms of the IGP 8200, or is something screwed on my setup?
vmalloc=256
With a 32bit kernel this might be necessary do to the shared memory of the IGP 8200.
It shouldn't be necessary on a 64 bit kernel.

I don't have hdmi out but I do use dvi out and it works fine for me.

I got the error ( can't initialize vdpau buffers ) once but haven't seen it since increasing the shared memory in the motherboard bios to 256m.
I know that some people do get the error. How wide spread I'm not sure.
hpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-09, 04:13 PM   #44
jdeslip
Registered User
 
jdeslip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 87
Default Re: Integrated Geforce 8200 woes: high X CPU on video playback

Hmm, I wonder if I can change my shared memory size. I have the M3N78-VM, board. I'll have to check that out when I get home.

I am indeed running a 32bit distro. Perhaps I will try a 64 bit one... but it is now a lot of work to reconfigure everything :/
jdeslip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-09, 12:05 PM   #45
mattbrown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1
Default Re: Integrated Geforce 8200 woes: high X CPU on video playback

Im using the 8300 IGP on the Asus M3N78 Pro mobo and I'm getting the Xorg hogging CPU problem while watching certain Live Tv in MythTv. Its eratic, certain channels seem to have it happen more often than others. Sometimes its there, sometime not. It also appears to happen while the network is airing SD programming on the digital station. Most HiDef programs are fine.

Running the latest build of mythbuntu. I have the 180.29 nvidia driver. As with others, if I turn off Vsync to blank in the XV settings of the nvidia driver config tool the problem is gone but I get horrid tearing in the picture.

Matt
mattbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-09, 03:01 PM   #46
zim2dive
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 145
Default Re: Integrated Geforce 8200 woes: high X CPU on video playback

Not sure if I'm convinced we are "fixed" yet with 180.29... see http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...7&postcount=76
zim2dive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-09, 05:20 PM   #47
pataphysician
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 16
Default Re: Integrated Geforce 8200 woes: high X CPU on video playback

Quote:
Originally Posted by zim2dive View Post
Not sure if I'm convinced we are "fixed" yet with 180.29... see http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...7&postcount=76
The Flash performance I get is the same performance I get with VESA driver. Since I use 64 bit Flash which doesn't have any ability to do any hardware acceleration, this is the performance it should give. The problem is Adobe doesn't support hardware acceleration in 64 bit Flash.

If you use 32bit Flash, I think Adobe allows opengl acceleration on it, but not sure how it works if your using it on 64 bit OS with wrapper.
pataphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-09, 06:14 PM   #48
zim2dive
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 145
Default Re: Integrated Geforce 8200 woes: high X CPU on video playback

Quote:
Originally Posted by pataphysician View Post
The Flash performance I get is the same performance I get with VESA driver. Since I use 64 bit Flash which doesn't have any ability to do any hardware acceleration, this is the performance it should give. The problem is Adobe doesn't support hardware acceleration in 64 bit Flash.

If you use 32bit Flash, I think Adobe allows opengl acceleration on it, but not sure how it works if your using it on 64 bit OS with wrapper.
I'm running 32-bit Ubuntu and 32-bit Flash.
zim2dive is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thoughts from console owners on NVIDIA's GEFORCE GRID MikeC Console World 11 05-27-12 08:43 AM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.