Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-09-09, 09:51 AM   #37
gbin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8
Default Re: Problems with 9300M GS on Sony Vaio Z11

more hints here :

http://www.basyskom.org/~eva/log_ins...io_z21vnx.html

Graphics

* .switching of graphics cards
might be possible through ACPI, functions in DCDT detected, details unclear
gbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-09, 04:17 PM   #38
gbin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8
Default Re: Problems with 9300M GS on Sony Vaio Z11

I am not expert about it but if you look in the DSDT after decompiling it, they define for Linux :

If (_OSI ("Linux"))
{
Store (0x03E8, OSYS)
}

And for XP :
If (_OSI ("Windows 2001"))
{
Store (0x07D1, OSYS)
}


Then there is a method related to graphics where Linux is handled differently from windows :
Method (GNOT, 2, NotSerialized)
{
If (PDRD ())
{
Return (One)
}

Store (Arg0, CEVT)
Store (0x03, CSTS)
If (LAnd (LEqual (CHPD, Zero), LEqual (Arg1, Zero)))
{
If (LOr (LGreater (OSYS, 0x07D0), LLess (OSYS, 0x07D6)))
{
Notify (PCI0, Arg1)
}
Else
{
Notify (OVGA, Arg1)
}
}

Notify (OVGA, 0x80)
Return (Zero)
}

is somebody familiar with DSDTs can explain it ? Does it worth it to try to patch the linux OSYS to match XP, recompile it and override it ? (hoping it will default to the XP behavior and select a graphic card)
gbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-09, 07:30 AM   #39
gbin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8
Default Re: Problems with 9300M GS on Sony Vaio Z11

I continue my monologue

It looks that it is indeed the solution : http://forums.fedora-fr.org/viewtopic.php?pid=324637

I gonna experiment it.
gbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-09, 08:03 AM   #40
jtechs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6
Default Re: Problems with 9300M GS on Sony Vaio Z11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbin View Post
I continue my monologue

It looks that it is indeed the solution : http://forums.fedora-fr.org/viewtopic.php?pid=324637

I gonna experiment it.
Im here too!!

Its french! but i will try when i get home... wow i hope it works!!

I was playing with ACPI debugging, but its fairly complex for me..
jtechs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-09, 04:23 AM   #41
jtechs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6
Default Re: Problems with 9300M GS on Sony Vaio Z11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbin View Post
I continue my monologue

It looks that it is indeed the solution : http://forums.fedora-fr.org/viewtopic.php?pid=324637

I gonna experiment it.
How did you go?

I was able to create an edited DSDT file and it seemed to be successful in that it loaded (grep dmesg), but the video was not initialised. It was really interesting to do it though... do you think the BIOS is blocking it from loading or somthing?

The only difference in the DSDT (nvidia) and the DSDT (intel) is a memory assignment.. I changed the DSDT to reflect the SPEED mode, but it failed to initialise..

and I was reading the the OSI detection is used in some cases by the bios to allow/disallow certian features in ACPI.. anyway I changed the OSI to make linux the same as 2006 (vista?) and then 2001 (XP?) it did not seem to make a difference?

I might try editing somthing simple and see if it changes..

Hope you had better luck..
jtechs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-09, 07:46 PM   #42
jtechs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6
Default Re: Problems with 9300M GS on Sony Vaio Z11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtechs View Post
How did you go?

I was able to create an edited DSDT file and it seemed to be successful in that it loaded (grep dmesg), but the video was not initialised. It was really interesting to do it though... do you think the BIOS is blocking it from loading or somthing?

The only difference in the DSDT (nvidia) and the DSDT (intel) is a memory assignment.. I changed the DSDT to reflect the SPEED mode, but it failed to initialise..

and I was reading the the OSI detection is used in some cases by the bios to allow/disallow certian features in ACPI.. anyway I changed the OSI to make linux the same as 2006 (vista?) and then 2001 (XP?) it did not seem to make a difference?

I might try editing somthing simple and see if it changes..

Hope you had better luck..
A solution of sorts

http://thinkfat.blogspot.com/
jtechs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-09, 09:33 PM   #43
rfer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6
Default Re: Problems with 9300M GS on Sony Vaio Z11

Did anyone manage to get that DSDT replace thing to work?
rfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-09, 10:22 PM   #44
rfer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6
Default Re: Problems with 9300M GS on Sony Vaio Z11

I was able to replace the DSDT but nothing happens...

What about you guys? Any luck?
rfer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-09, 05:22 PM   #45
rfer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6
Default Re: Problems with 9300M GS on Sony Vaio Z11

Hey everyone!

Good news! I managed to get the nVidia working and even without the need to boot XP first!

Tbh I'm not sure how exactly I got this working, probably due to the changed DSDT I'm using, but did't have the time yet to try without it.

I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 alpha 5 and nvidia drivers 173.

So basically now I can use the nvidia right after turning on/restarting the computer. I'm not sure about the battery, but I expect to consume about 1h more instead of using just the intel.

It's really strange that it works for the nvidia but not for the intel...!!


EDIT: Just removed the custom DSDT and now it doesnt work, which I think is great news! So maybe the answer to the Intel is there too! If thats the case its really simple to have 2 DSDT to control each card!

Please everyone, keep looking at the DSDT for the answer!
rfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 08:51 PM   #46
rfer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6
Default Re: Problems with 9300M GS on Sony Vaio Z11

Even better news! I managed to have BOTH cards working without having to boot XP! Just 2 differnt DSDT for each one!

I'm really tired but I'll post them tomorrow...Now need to have 2 different entries in grub
rfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 03:40 PM   #47
jtechs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6
Default Re: Problems with 9300M GS on Sony Vaio Z11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfer View Post
Hey everyone!

Good news! I managed to get the nVidia working and even without the need to boot XP first!

Tbh I'm not sure how exactly I got this working, probably due to the changed DSDT I'm using, but did't have the time yet to try without it.

I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 alpha 5 and nvidia drivers 173.

So basically now I can use the nvidia right after turning on/restarting the computer. I'm not sure about the battery, but I expect to consume about 1h more instead of using just the intel.

It's really strange that it works for the nvidia but not for the intel...!!


EDIT: Just removed the custom DSDT and now it doesnt work, which I think is great news! So maybe the answer to the Intel is there too! If thats the case its really simple to have 2 DSDT to control each card!

Please everyone, keep looking at the DSDT for the answer!
OMG PLEASE SHARE!

THIS IS GREAT NEWS!!
jtechs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 04:57 PM   #48
rfer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6
Default Re: Problems with 9300M GS on Sony Vaio Z11

Ok, here it is. I've posted how I managed to get BOTH CARDS TO WORK WITHOUT BOOTING XP here http://blog.shiftreduce.org/?p=13.

Just ask if you have doubts!
rfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do I play PS3 on my Sony Vaio while using HDMI cable? AbbieJohnson Archived News Items 0 06-18-12 06:04 AM
Gaikai ' Sony Deal Never Existed, Says Founder Dave Perry News GAIKAI 0 06-07-12 07:50 AM
Sony Goes Whole Hog With a New Ultrabook, Updates Vaio Notebook Line News Archived News Items 0 06-04-12 08:40 PM
Why Buying A Cloud Gaming Company Could Be The Smartest Move Sony Has Made This Gener News Archived News Items 0 06-01-12 08:50 AM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.