Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-13-09, 06:07 PM   #1
v3rninater
Blowin up since 1969

Arrow Dawn of War 2....do people live under a rock???

I mean cmon, NO THREADS on this game coming this next thursday!!!!?!?

Well anyhow, I've been a pretty huge fan of the original 40k Dawn of War games. Lots of fun gaming with friends or by yourself.

We'll see though, this looks to be a bit different as far as RTS wise.

http://www.dawnofwar2.com/us/home

Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 3.4ghz 1600fsb || Gigabyte P45 EP45-UD3R stable as a rooock! || 4gb G-Skill DDR2 PC8500 5-5-5-15 || EVGA 580-GTX 1.5gb || Creative Fatal1ty Xram Sound Card 7.1 ||G-Skill Phoenix Pro SSD 120gb|| WD BLACK 32mb cache 640gb HD || 2x Samsung DVD burner 16x DVD+\- || Corsair 620watt PSU
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit (640gb hd)

AMD Phenom II X6 T1090 || Gigabyte GA880 || 4gb G-skill Ripjaw DDR3 1600 || MSI 8800 Ultra o/c || WD BLACK 32mb cache 640gb HD || ASUS DVD Burner || XFX 750 watt PSU

LG 60" 1080p 600Hz Plasma HDTV 60PS11
Xbox 360
v3rninater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-09, 06:23 PM   #2
Sabadin

Default Re: Dawn of War 2....do people live under a rock???

Been having a blast with the beta. Definitely plays different than your conventional rts with the complete removal of base building, but I don't miss that aspect at all.
Sabadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-09, 06:28 PM   #3
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

The hype does seem low on this game, for some reason. Maybe everyone who cares is playing the beta and so addicted they can't post.

I am definately getting it... Company of Heros is one of the few RTS games I really enjoy, and I know this is similar.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-09, 08:40 PM   #4
Buio

From the gameplay videos it seem very similar to Company of Heroes in general aspect. But of course with completely different setting that allows for a lot of other units, weapons and other stuff.

Here is a multiplayer video (not new). But it has 3 victory points that you cap and control which is exactly as CoH.
http://www.shackvideo.com/?id=13586
Buio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-09, 09:50 PM   #5
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

I may grab this once it goes on a Steam Weekend deal. Preferably like a 50% off kinda deal, maybe $20.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-09, 10:48 PM   #6
Bman212121

Never played the first one... Not sure I like the graphics though. It looks nice but I have a hard time playing RTS games where the units are big glowing blobs that you can't pick out easily. I can't explain it really well, but one of the problems I've had with C & C 3 / RA3 is the units can be hard to pick out amongst other units and telling what they are.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-09, 11:17 PM   #7
Buio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman212121 View Post
Never played the first one... Not sure I like the graphics though. It looks nice but I have a hard time playing RTS games where the units are big glowing blobs that you can't pick out easily. I can't explain it really well, but one of the problems I've had with C & C 3 / RA3 is the units can be hard to pick out amongst other units and telling what they are.
DoW II uses squads, single units are only special ones and vehicles. And it is as CoH a low unit tally with a lot of micro. I have not played the beta, but seeing how DoW II skips base building and has low number of units, it might be the most micro RTS of all with each unit control having extreme importance (at least in multiplayer). But as said, I'm guessing a bit as I've not tested myself just from what I read and seen in videos.

The C&C series is totally opposite, where units die quick and base, resources and mass unit production is more important (afaik).
Old 02-13-09, 11:20 PM   #8
tornadog
Keeper of the Faith

I dont know after playing the beta, I didnt even like it as much as the first one and I didnt like the first one to begin with.

Old 02-13-09, 11:24 PM   #9
Bman212121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buio View Post
DoW II uses squads, single units are only special ones and vehicles. And it is as CoH a low unit tally with a lot of micro. I have not played the beta, but seeing how DoW II skips base building and has low number of units, it might be the most micro RTS of all with each unit control having extreme importance (at least in multiplayer). But as said, I'm guessing a bit as I've not tested myself just from what I read and seen in videos.

The C&C series is totally opposite, where units die quick and base, resources and mass unit production is more important (afaik).
Yea, the way it plays can make a big difference. If there is only a few units that are all different then you'd be able to tell them apart a lot easier. Being able to see the mirco management functions would really help you determine what the unit is useful for. If all you get are move, attack, and defend, you don't really know what they are used for until start shooting and dying.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-09, 11:33 PM   #10
Alaa
Peace

I really enjoyed the beta. looking forward to the full game.
Alaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-09, 11:35 PM   #11
Buio

Some musings I have:

One thing I really like about Company of Heroes and also Dawn of War II from what I seen, is the persistent graphical effects. Of course this is easier with a micro game with low number of units. But I love the battlefield destruction in CoH (with a lot of collateral damage on terrain and buildings and tank wrecks). Other games like SC2 just has nothing of this, just a casual effect then 10s after the battle it looks like nothing happened when wrecks vanish into the ground. Of course it's harder to do with a medium/large scale RTS because the performance cost of it would be huge.

Regarding Dawn of War II, it will require Steam (copy protection) but still use Games for Windows Live. I thought that was kind of funny, but hey it's up to them and not use the Steam online functions I guess.
Old 02-14-09, 12:13 AM   #12
Alaa
Peace

A new patch after release:
http://community.dawnofwar2.com/blogs/?p=510
Alaa is offline   Reply With Quote