Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-17-09, 09:08 AM   #1
seppoi

Default Is there a way to disable void HDMI audio from DVI output of 8400GS?

I wanted to use a full HD television (Sony KDL-32E4020) as monitor with audio from the built-in speakers but noticed that analog audio gets muted quickly by the television because I think it finds out there is HDMI audio from the DVI output of an Asus 8400GS silent graphics card. Unfortunately there is no way to force the TV to use analog audio instead.

HDMI audio would be really nice for me but I haven't found any information how to make the hidden HDMI audio capability visible into ALSA. There is no SPDIF input in the card.

The operating system is up o date Ubuntu Intrepid with nvidia-glx-180 driver package. I bought this card because the Xv video capabilities of the AMD G780 mobo isn't really usable. Now both of the options I have are bad: AMD with video and NVidia with sound :^(

It seems that Windows users have the same problem ( http://www.xpmediacentre.com.au/comm...tml#post224646 ).

Please, a simple xorg.conf option for disablng HDMI audio would be nice. Supporting HDMI audio would be even better.

BR,
Seppo
seppoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-09, 09:01 PM   #2
danimaldaisy

Default Re: Is there a way to disable void HDMI audio from DVI output of 8400GS?

I have the same problem as you using a 9400gt card and also onboard nvidia 7100 graphics.

my only card that works is a evga 8800gs as for some reason it does not have this problem.....so much for fanless and saving electricity....FYI it is a dual link DVI card....and i am using a DVI to HDMI cable.

also the old drivers from ubuntu 8.04 (NO LTS) work!!! and ubuntu 8.10 dont use the recommended driver...try the older one....

you dont HAVE to use the latest drivers for HD...you can use pure CPU horsepower....i feel like i just wasted 50 bucks on a videocard....so much for low power fanless ehh!

I asked for help in another thread and all i got was being accused for hijacking a thread, not related to myth tv ect.

some of the people here are real jerks
danimaldaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-09, 01:04 AM   #3
seppoi

Default Re: Is there a way to disable void HDMI audio from DVI output of 8400GS?

Thanks for response. I got some new problems with AMD graphics stuff I have so I'll still try with my 8400GS.

I wonder if dowloading a mofidied EDID binary for the Nvidia driver is the only workaround (I'd need it for another problem with another TV as well that I've ranted here). I just couldn't get a working EDID editor so I probably need to do it by hand. I have some troubles in decoding in the CEA extension based on information from Wikipedia and need to learn how to compute the checksum... Wouldn't like to spend time on that but it seems to be the only solution :^(
Old 02-18-09, 02:59 AM   #4
jyavenard
MythTV developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seppoi View Post
I wanted to use a full HD television (Sony KDL-32E4020) as monitor with audio from the built-in speakers but noticed that analog audio gets muted quickly by the television because I think it finds out there is HDMI audio from the DVI output of an Asus 8400GS silent graphics card. Unfortunately there is no way to force the TV to use analog audio instead.
There should be no audio ever coming from a DVI output ... DVI is video only
That when using a DVI->HDMI adapter it creates a problem with audio is an issue I've noticed with my 9400GT..
This didn't happen with my 8600GT...

This sounds more like a hardware related issue ; somehow the DVI output (which is video only) gets screwed with a DVI->HDMI adapter
jyavenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-09, 04:14 AM   #5
seppoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyavenard View Post
DVI is video only
DVI and HDMI are the same electrically, the mechanics in the connector is different. Of course there is CEC pin in HDMI but that is not a mandatory HDMI feature. HDMI signalling can be passed over DVI connector. Two HDMI devices can be connected together with HDMI-DVI-DVI-HDMI cables.
Old 02-18-09, 04:53 AM   #6
DeiF

I have the same problem.
But there is a thread already describing this problem (I'm too lazy to search now).

Moreover, I had to mute the flat panel completely, because when X is starting I hear a lot of noise coming from the speakers (both in Windows and Linux).
Then the noise dies and there is no way to force analog audio or use the speakers in any way.

The problem appeared around 16x.xx drivers IIRC. There is more info in that other thread.
DeiF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-09, 05:53 AM   #7
seppoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeiF View Post
There is more info in that other thread.
I suppose this one http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=121161 ? There seems to be no response since last October.

There is also one thread where someone has been able disable HDMI audio with a custom EDID http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=126648
Old 02-21-09, 03:53 AM   #8
seppoi

Disabling EDID from xorg.conf helped and I'm able to use the latest drivers! Here's my configuration. I think now I'll be able to start X without taking care that the TV is on.

Code:
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
#   sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
        Driver         "nvidia"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"Configured Monitor"
        DisplaySize     640    360
	ModeLine "1920x1080p50" 148.50 1920 2448 2492 2640 1080 1084 1089 1125 +HSync +VSync 
	ModeLine "1920x1080p60" 148.50 1920 2008 2052 2200 1080 1084 1089 1125 +HSync +VSync
	ModeLine "1920x1080p24"  74.16 1920 2558 2602 2750 1080 1084 1089 1125 +HSync +VSync 
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Default Screen"
	Monitor		"Configured Monitor"
	Device		"Configured Video Device"
        DefaultDepth    24
        Option         "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "True"
        Option         "UseEdid" "FALSE"
        Option "ModeValidation" "AllowNon60HzDFPModes, NoEdidModes, NoEdidDFPMaxSizeCheck, NoVertRefreshCheck, NoHorizSyncCheck, NoMaxSizeCheck, NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck"
        Option         "UseEvents" "True"
        SubSection     "Display"
          Depth  24
          Modes "1920x1080p50" "1920x1080p60" "1920x1080p24"
        EndSubSection 
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection
Thanks for everybody who helped in this thread!

Cheers,
Seppo

Old 02-21-09, 05:00 AM   #9
Katagia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeiF View Post
I have the same problem.
Moreover, I had to mute the flat panel completely, because when X is starting I hear a lot of noise coming from the speakers (both in Windows and Linux).
I have the same noise problem with linux but not with windows. In windows I get this noise when a DD5.1 Signal is send to TV. Normal PCM Stereo is working in windows.

The Options to disable edid are makeing the noise disapear!

Maybe this should be part of a faq.
Katagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-09, 04:04 AM   #10
jbernardo

I have the same problem after updating from a 7200GS to a Asus 9400GT 1GB card. It has a spdif header, but unfortunately my motherboard has a non-compatible one; the connected spdif cables have three wires (black, white and red) while the supplied cable has two (blue and red). My motherboard is a FIC P4M-915GDI-LF.

Previously I had no problem, as I had a analog audio cable connecting my line out to the tv, but with the 9400GT there is a signal in the DVI/HDMI cable and the tv (a samsung 37" LCD) doesn't allow me to force it to use the analog input.
Any ideas? The windows driver seems to be free of these problems.
jbernardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-09, 05:17 AM   #11
jpterj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernardo View Post
I have the same problem after updating from a 7200GS to a Asus 9400GT 1GB card. It has a spdif header, but unfortunately my motherboard has a non-compatible one; the connected spdif cables have three wires (black, white and red) while the supplied cable has two (blue and red). My motherboard is a FIC P4M-915GDI-LF.

Previously I had no problem, as I had a analog audio cable connecting my line out to the tv, but with the 9400GT there is a signal in the DVI/HDMI cable and the tv (a samsung 37" LCD) doesn't allow me to force it to use the analog input.
Any ideas? The windows driver seems to be free of these problems.
Two of the wires are SPDIF+ and SPDIF- while the third wire is 5V+. If you have any documentation on the motherboard you should be able to find the SPDIF+ and SPDIF-. These are the ones that shall be connected to the 9400GT.
jpterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-09, 04:52 AM   #12
jbernardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpterj View Post
Two of the wires are SPDIF+ and SPDIF- while the third wire is 5V+. If you have any documentation on the motherboard you should be able to find the SPDIF+ and SPDIF-. These are the ones that shall be connected to the 9400GT.
The motherboard is a FIC P4M 915PD, for which is impossible to find documentation. Anyway, I tried all combinations and never got sound. Finally, I managed to edit my EDID and disable the extension block, so having back the analog sound through the tv.

If it is possible to disable the "feature" which enables the signal that forces the tv to ignore the analog inputs by editing the EDID, why not add it as a driver option?
jbernardo is offline   Reply With Quote