Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Networking And Security

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-19-09, 03:16 PM   #1
tornadog
Keeper of the Faith

Default wrt54gl dropping connection

my router seems to be dying. it has the latest tomato firmware on it and whenever I do a large file download, it suddenly starts crawling to the point that I cant get to the internet or its too slow. Then when I reboot the router, the speed is back up. Should I consider replacing it. Also while watching netflix movies, the movies connect with highest connection rating but then 5-10 minutes in, it stalls and I get the message that netflix is adjusting the quality for poor connection. After that the movie plays at lower quality.
Old 02-19-09, 04:07 PM   #2
Runningman

Default Re: wrt54gl dropping connection

First, test your connection on a different router to see if the problem is on the device's end. Once you rule that out, I would then do a test connection from your house too say netflix using this,
http://www.dslreports.com/linequality
If this passes, then i would go ahead and replace the router, sounds like the wifi end is dying.
Runningman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-09, 09:40 AM   #3
tornadog
Keeper of the Faith

Default Re: wrt54gl dropping connection

After testing the whole of yesterday, it seems to be happening only during the evening and it looks a congestion at the isp end(confirmed by other reports on dslreports for same isp and zipcode). the line quality test you had gave me passed on all tests. I went and ordered a dlink dir 655. Now I am thinking if I should cancel the order???