Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-01-09, 05:20 PM   #1
omrigaron

Default multi display problem with new 295

ive just took out a 4870x2 and dropped in my new 295 but cannot get any additional displays to work or even be recognized. i have two dell 22" monitors, the first one shows up fine. i have reinstalled drivers, cleared out registry entries, hooked it up before and after boot up. the display is greyed out under properties but when you extend the desktop to it the primary flashes but then nothing changes and the secondary never comes on. i have tried various other monitors to no avail. also, and the 4870 didnt have this prob, i cannot use this computer with a kvm switch until the computer is in windows. if i boot up with it (the cards primary monitor port) hooked up to the kvm switch it shows the windows flash screen but then goes black. i have to remote in to do a reboot. the computer is obviously finishing booting and loggin in since i can remote in. but if i use an external monitor to get into windows then unhook the monitor and rehook up the kvm switch im good to go until the next reboot. any clues to either of these issues?
omrigaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-09, 06:15 PM   #2
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
*BANNED*

Default Re: multi display problem with new 295

Quote:
Originally Posted by omrigaron View Post
ive just took out a 4870x2 and dropped in my new 295 but cannot get any additional displays to work or even be recognized. i have two dell 22" monitors, the first one shows up fine. i have reinstalled drivers, cleared out registry entries, hooked it up before and after boot up. the display is greyed out under properties but when you extend the desktop to it the primary flashes but then nothing changes and the secondary never comes on. i have tried various other monitors to no avail. also, and the 4870 didnt have this prob, i cannot use this computer with a kvm switch until the computer is in windows. if i boot up with it (the cards primary monitor port) hooked up to the kvm switch it shows the windows flash screen but then goes black. i have to remote in to do a reboot. the computer is obviously finishing booting and loggin in since i can remote in. but if i use an external monitor to get into windows then unhook the monitor and rehook up the kvm switch im good to go until the next reboot. any clues to either of these issues?
Omrigaron,

Too complicated!

Not too many people are going to jump in and help but...

After 10+ years of PC problem solving, I'm inclined to suggest you do the following.

1. Disconnect the KVM switch. And for the sake of getting Dual Monitors working properly, keep the KVM switch problem(s) separate from the Dual Monitor Problem(s). Use a seperate thread for resolving KVM problem(s). But only after fixing Dual Monitors configuration.

2. For several days or weeks don't overclock anything.

3. Are you using all DVI inputs, cables, and no adapters?

4. What version video drivers are you using.

5. Run the computer with just one Monitor hooked up. Configure it for just one monitor. Restart. Test it with several games and applications. Restart and retest. (And maybe a benchmark or two for comparison to whenever you get two monitors properly configured.)

6. Next, after one monitor works fine, find documentation that specifically explains step by step the exact order in which to get a second monitor working on a GTX295. I bet you can even find a Video at YouTube or wherever, of somebody with a GTX295 successfully hooking up two monitors step by step.

GL

I'm interested because after I clear off some desk space, I too plan on using a second Monitor, and a KVM switch with my new GTX295. Last year I also had a virtual KVM switch working just fine and it was awesome because I did not need to purchasie a $200+ KVM with DVI. Now, that the prices are more acceptable, I'll be using whichever works best.

PS

For practice sake, and to improve your odds of getting plenty of help, fill in the following Blanks (System Summary ) and include it in ur sig:

<<< System Summary >>>
> Power Supply: ______________
> Mainboard : ______________
> Chipset : ______________
> Processor : ______________
> Physical Memory : ______________
> Video Card : ______________
> DVD-Rom Drive : ______________
> Monitor Type : ______________
> Operating System : ______________
Bee_Dee_3_Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-09, 06:34 PM   #3
jcrox
Mahna Mahna

Do Nvidia drivers have support for multiple monitors in SLI mode now?

Gaming

MSI MPower Z87 | 4770k | CNPS9900MAX-B | 8GB G.Skill 1866 | EVGA GTX760 |ThermalTake 850w | X-Fi Titanium | HAF | Asus PA248Q | Lycosa | Death Adder | Win8 Pro 64

Dev/Backup

MSI GD65 | 2500k | H50 | 8GB G.skill | GTX570 | Ubuntu 13.10

Laptop

17" Inspiron | i5 | 4GB DDR3 | 500GB HDD | Win7 Pro 64

jcrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-09, 08:03 PM   #4
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.

Smile Re: multi display problem with new 295

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrox View Post
Yes , for a while now and working fine for me.
Old 03-01-09, 08:15 PM   #5
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrox View Post
From http://www.slizone.com/page/slizone_faq#s7
Quote:
How many monitors are supported when running in SLI mode?
With GeForce R180 drivers, SLI supports a maximum of two monitors with both monitors connected to the same GPU within your SLI group. For instance, if you have a 3-way SLI configuration, you can connect two monitors to one of the GPUs and leave SLI enabled. You can enable more monitors by using a third GPU that is NVIDIA PhysX capable (GeForce 8 series and higher with at least 256MB of memory) and is a different GPU than your SLI GPUs. For example, a configuration with two GeForce GTX 280s in SLI and a single GeForce 8800 GT is capable of supporting six monitors.
Bee_Dee_3_Dee is offline   Reply With Quote