Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-03-09, 01:30 AM   #13
TheBlackCat

Default Re: Will everyone PLEASE stop trashing the Nvidia Linux devs?

I don't care how optimized the drivers are if they don't work. A year ago I bought a high-end laptop with an Nvidia laptop workstation card (quadro NVS 140m). At work, I have a 2-year old system with a POS intel integrated graphics chip, a less powerful CPU, and the same amount of RAM. The intel system absolutely trashes the nvidia one, hands down. There is no comparison regarding the performance. The intel one absolutely flies, the Nvidia one just barely chugs along. Even the three-year-old even lower-perofrmance intel rig at the desk next to mine with a much less powerful CPU and half the RAM beats my Nvidia system hand-down. This is with otherwise identical Linux installations, same distribution, same version, same architecture, same configuration.

First it was Nvidia's terrible KDE 4 support, and just when they fix that powermizer breaks and prevents me from getting even a tiny fraction of my card's real power. I haven't had a single day yet where the card has actually had decent performance, and I have owned the thing for over a year now. It doesn't matter how great their optimizations are if the card simply doesn't work. I paid a lot of money for my card, and I have absolutely no way to change it without buying an entirely new laptop, I think I have a right to be upset at such terrible performance. I don't care whether it is open-source or not, I just want to be able to make use of the capabilities I paid good money for.
TheBlackCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 02:31 AM   #14
ReimarD

Quote:
Originally Posted by devsk View Post
The thing is that we end up comparing linux driver with the windows driver. Do I ever see graphics corruption on windows: NO.
IMO if you don't see issues with the Windows driver you have not looked well enough. E.g. AFAICT almost all Direct3D 1 games are broken, since for some reason both ATI and NVidia botched their implementation of the function that clears the Z-Buffer. Just using the equivalent Direct3D 7 function fixes it, see e.g. here: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=34842
I could complain and make jokes how NVidia can't fix such a simple thing, too (and yes, I am really sure that at least a work-around would be simple) - I just don't because I could fix it my way myself and I know that there are always too many issues to have time to fix them all.
ReimarD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 02:57 AM   #15
g.krist

@spion: stop bashing your attitude stinks. I payed damn 300 euro's for my card I have the right on good drivers so please stop telling me to use Windows.

It's simple. You either make OFFICIAL drivers or you don't make drivers. If you do, you should have the same quality as on Windows.
g.krist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 03:00 AM   #16
brucecadieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.krist View Post
Why should I stop complaining? I bought Nvidia hardware I expect decent drivers, this fiasco with 180.35 was never happened on Windows!
Not true. Thats all there is to that.

I have been building and using computers since the early 80's and have seen my fair share of bad drivers in that time for all platforms.

That said, I think it is one thing to show up and report a problem and another completely to show up and act like little school kids who don't get their way.

I think nobody does it better then Nvidia when it comes to drivers, and I know they do not have as many developers working on Linux drivers as they do for other operating systems.

They do a fine job and I for one expect that occasionally there will be bumps in the road, when that happens I simply revert to the last driver that worked best for me.

I am sure they have work to do and don't sit here pouring over every little whiney post that is made, they know there are problems and they certainly can't fix them if they sit here at the forum 24 hours a day.

The 180.35 driver didn't work out well for me, no big deal I reverted to 180.29 until a better one comes along.

Grow up people, contribute useful information, or simply report your problem. The bashing whining and crying don't do much for anyone and certainly won't do anything resolve problems, all it does is make people look childish.
brucecadieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 03:15 AM   #17
g.krist

Well I wonder how there QA works then. Because the fiasco of the 180.35 was very very easy to detect.
So maybe they should change there testing tactics (if any). If this was happened on Windows there was atlease a new driver version the next day!

But nice to know NVIDIA is working on it. I really hope there will be a day I don't have any major/minor problems with NVIDIA.
g.krist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 03:41 AM   #18
tzp

Cool Re: Will everyone PLEASE stop trashing the Nvidia Linux devs?

1. Fyi, once there was a similar thread like this:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=117043

2. Afaik, opening up the driver source might not be possible due to some IPR issues, licensed 3rd party code and so.

3. Afaik, NVIDIA was planning to, or even did, decrease the linux developer staff. This means that the guys who are left are loaded probably more and more.
Anyhow, probably there are much more developers working on Windows drivers. Considering that, the Linux driver situation is not too bad, IMHO.
tzp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 04:18 AM   #19
marchetto

My thread (as I wrote) was just a way to beg and speak.
I just think that a stable release like 180.35 it's quite strange so I just wanted a speak like intelligent people can do.
I even obviously thanks them for their work, because it's evident it's not easy.
BUT, I'd like they say, Xorg developers are going on a wrong way, maybe KDE4 developers.
A stable on linux it's a stable, it's not a beta, it's not an SVN version, it's a LINUX-STABLE-VERSION, and a stable-linux-version have to be stable.
marchetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 04:25 AM   #20
marchetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadtree View Post
Every internet forum, newsgroup, and mailing list in existence is packed to the gills with unsatisfied whiners. I'd suggest just trying to ignore them, because they're not going anywhere.
For sure... you ignore them... nvidia driver is not working and you ignore them, great job, take your head under the sand and go on!!
marchetto is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-09, 04:58 AM   #21
Mostrapotski

I complain because some very² important things are not working, let's be selfish for a while:

I have been looking for a cool laptop for a long time, and finally bought a laptop with a 9600m gt with gddr3, this is a cool graphic card, powerful and no that expensive.
My problem is the powermizer thing, never reaching high levels. So i bought my laptop a little bit more expansive than others, i guess because of the gddr3 gc, and finally it's working like a 5 years old graphic card.

Before saying "stop complain blabla", look at the priorities:
Isn't fixing powermizer thing more important than developing vdpau support ?
Nvidia is trying to make HQ movie smoother while i can't even watch an LQ movie !

When i say "i", you can replace by "a lot of people", because this is not an isolated case, and the "RegistryDwords" workaround is not working anymore.

This can be fixed really faster than developing the vdpau support.

The fact is, developing something new (i mean that ati does not have yet) is more important than the customer satisfaction.

I can understand this, but what else can i do except being angry ?

EDIT > Actually, even scrolling a webpage is not smooth
Mostrapotski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 05:57 AM   #22
shaundennie

The nvidia drivers are very good but, with just a small amount of work (powermizer configuration), they would be excellent. I'm a moderator for the Ubuntu forums and we get hundreds of "It doesn't work" posts per day. That doesn't mean Ubuntu is broken. It just means that the tiny percentage of people who have problems with Ubuntu have an outlet to get help. The same goes for the these forums.

In the past I've been negative towards the nvidia devs and the driver. But, after using other hardware, it's obvious that all the graphics vendors have problems. I would say that nvidia has the least amount of problems. I really want to dislike nvidia but, in all honesty, when I buy my next laptop, it will have an nvidia card. With few options, a known and controllable evil is the best way to go.

Having said that, I think nvidia would find that they would become the "standard" if they open sourced their drivers. Intel has become the "standard" for that very reason but their hardware is garbage. If the nividia drivers were open source (which, they probably never will be), I think they would become the universally accepted solution to high performance graphics on linux.
shaundennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 08:51 AM   #23
TheBlackCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucecadieux View Post
They do a fine job and I for one expect that occasionally there will be bumps in the road, when that happens I simply revert to the last driver that worked best for me.
That's the problem. There has never been a single driver that has actually worked properly for me, not since I bought my system over a year ago. And I have tried every single beta and stable driver since then. If I revert I am just replacing one problem with another.
TheBlackCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 04:00 PM   #24
stefan1975

[rant]
closed sourcing the driver suck bulloks and does not seem to improve quality at all. I would really like for nvidia to 1) release half decent drivers 2) support KMS 3) make a card that hums the anthem and makes coffee

anyway i am a very loyal nvidia buyer and way back was laughing at my ATI or INTEL friends when my windows wobbled when theird didnt but lately I am more and more disappointed, dual head issues, laptop docking issues, memory usage, xorg.conf oddities, no plymouth support, etc. etc. etc. I am seriously thinking about selecting a laptop with an intel card next time if GEM is working out like it appears to be.
[/rant]
stefan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote