Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-10-08, 01:33 AM   #1
AdamK47

Default SPDIF Out on X-Fi to SPDIF In on nVidia cards

My 32" Samsung TV disabled analog sound input when HDMI sound is detected. Unfortunatly, new nVidia cards enable audio through HDMI even when SPDIF isn't connected. I still wanted to use my TV and my X-Fi, so I had to find a solution. My TV doesn't have an option to use another sound source if it detects an HDMI audio signal. After failing to try and disable HDMI audio through a nVidia driver hack, I decided to find a way to get SPDIF to work. I looked and looked until I found this diagram.

I took a simple two pin cable and attached it to SPDIF0 Out and the GND next to it. Thats pin 9 and 7. I then connected the ground to the pin closest to the PCI-E power connectors on my GTX 280 and the SPDIF0 Out to the other one. I then booted up my PC and the sound worked! So after a few hours of frustration I decided to make this post for those out there who may not know that you can connect an X-Fi to the SPDIF input on the newer nVidia cards.
AdamK47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-08, 01:56 PM   #2
LovingSticky
plenty of work, no games

Default Re: SPDIF Out on X-Fi to SPDIF In on nVidia cards

This works, however only for stereo. I was not able to pass-through Dolby Digital (5.1) signal this way (X-Fi to 9800GX2 via 2-pin cable, picture + sound via HDMI to TV, optical-out from TV to DD receiver). Does it work for you? I tried PowerDVD 8 Ultra and Nero Showtime, all output stereo only. When I select "SPDIF" in PowerDVD, I get no sound at all
Old 08-17-08, 12:33 PM   #3
AdamK47

I only use stereo output. I'm not totally sure, but I'm willing to bet the other channels are coming through on SPDIF1 and SPDIF2. Try placing the cable on SPDIF1 and the ground next to it to see if you can get sound from the other speakers.
Old 08-17-08, 02:05 PM   #4
LovingSticky
plenty of work, no games

That makes no sense to me. DD and/or DTS need just single SPDIF connection. I think this has something to do with HDCP and "protected media path" under Vista, embedded into NVIDIA chips as well
Old 08-18-08, 06:32 AM   #5
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

i think you are using the wrong connector for that.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...5&postcount=21

SPDIF_EXT connector pin assignments
For 12-pin SPDIF connector

Pin Description
1 SPDIFO0
2 GND
3 KEY
4 VCC
5 GND
6 SPDIFIN
7 NC
8 NC
9 SPDIFO1
10 GND
11 SPDIFO2
12 SPDIFO3

SPDIF_CONN connector pin assignments
For 6-pin SPDIF connector

Pin Description
1 SPDIFO0
2 GND
3 KEY
4 VCC
5 NC
6 NC
Old 08-18-08, 06:58 AM   #6
LovingSticky
plenty of work, no games

Thanks, I will try pins 1 (SPDIF0) and 2 (GND). Right now I am using SPDIFO1 (pin 9).
Old 03-03-09, 05:24 PM   #7
hjfabius

Unhappy Re: SPDIF Out on X-Fi to SPDIF In on nVidia cards

Hi All,
Few month ago I investigated on the same topic and I found you same solution and same issue. For the time beeing I've the same connection done by AdamK47 (Pin 9 and 7) with only an addition of few resistors to decrease the voltage (from 5V to 1V): when I did the connection I wasn't sure of nvidia GeForce 8800GT datasheet.

Like LovingSticky, I can hear only Stereo output. I tried to format PC, installing XP and latest version of the X-Fi driver but no news on the topic.
In the next days i want to test using KMPlayer and YPax driver. In case of success I'll update you.

Frankly speaking, I'm not sure if problem is hardware or software. Does anyone have an update on this topic?

Ciao
Fabio
hjfabius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-09, 04:26 PM   #8
sharangad

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjfabius View Post
Hi All,
Few month ago I investigated on the same topic and I found you same solution and same issue. For the time beeing I've the same connection done by AdamK47 (Pin 9 and 7) with only an addition of few resistors to decrease the voltage (from 5V to 1V): when I did the connection I wasn't sure of nvidia GeForce 8800GT datasheet.

Like LovingSticky, I can hear only Stereo output. I tried to format PC, installing XP and latest version of the X-Fi driver but no news on the topic.
In the next days i want to test using KMPlayer and YPax driver. In case of success I'll update you.

Frankly speaking, I'm not sure if problem is hardware or software. Does anyone have an update on this topic?

Ciao
Fabio
Have you tried disabling the internal decoder on the X-Fi ( if you have one) and playing back a DVD or something with the DVD Player set to SPDIF output? Unless your player is outputting a SPDIF signal you'll only get stereo out of it.

if you have an X-Fi you should be able to get the Dolby Digital Live/DTS connect pack to generate a DD/DTS signal in real time for SPDIF output for all audio from the PC.
sharangad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-09, 04:18 PM   #9
Dr.Nick

Just want to say thanks for this thread. I was pulling my hair trying to figure this out. Working great now tho thanks to you guys; its very nice to be able to use the TV speakers late night.
Thanks a bunch guys
Old 12-08-09, 01:23 AM   #10
AdamK47

Just to update this thread with new information (new to me anyway)... my original post showing where to connect for SPDIF Out is indeed correct. It needs to be on pins 7 and 9. It's true that you only get two channel audio with the basic driver setup on the X-Fi. The way to get 5.1 channel audio is to use Creatives Dolby Digital DTS Bitstream out with the Dolby Digital Live encoder. I've tried it out recently and I must say I'm very impressed. Not only do you get 5.1 channel audio, but X-Fi CMSS-3D and X-Fi Crystalizer work great with it. The only downside is Creative makes you pay extra to activate the Dolby software. It's just one way for Creative to ring more money out of you, but it's worth the $5 Creative charges you. I've tried 2 channel audio with the encoder and even that sounds much better than the standard 2 channel audio you get by default. If you are going to use the digital output on the X-Fi, I would suggest also downloading and activating the Dolby software to go along with it.
Old 02-10-10, 12:22 PM   #11
jass

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamK47 View Post
The way to get 5.1 channel audio is to use Creatives Dolby Digital DTS Bitstream out with the Dolby Digital Live encoder. I've tried it out recently and I must say I'm very impressed. Not only do you get 5.1 channel audio, but X-Fi CMSS-3D and X-Fi Crystalizer work great with it. The only downside is Creative makes you pay extra to activate the Dolby software.
I think they bundle Dolby encoder with the sound cards now, anyway it was included free of charge with my X-Fi Titanium.
Old 07-06-10, 06:37 PM   #12
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

Send a message via AIM to FastRedPonyCar

I just ended up going this route. Works like a champ (and a better choice for me as my receiver doesn't have HDMI inputs... only optical audio)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-109-_-Product
4770k @ 4.45 ghz - ASUS Gryphon Mobo - 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 RAM - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 H2o Cooling - EVGA GTX 680 @1325mhz - 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300 - 150 gig Velociraptor +2.75 Terrabytes of WD Sata 3.0 storage - 910 watt PC P&C PSU - Corsair Obsidian 650D case

- Server -
Core I7 D0 revision 920 @ 3.75 ghz - ASUS P6T Deluxe - 12 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 1600 - Corsair HX 620 PSU - Noctua NH-U9B cooler - Coolermaster WaveMaster Case

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
- i7 2630QM - GTX570m @ 750Mhz - 8 gigs HyperX 1866 - 120 gig OCZ Vertex 3 SSD- 750 gig Scorpio Black - BluRay - 95% Gamut Screen - IC Diamond goop
FastRedPonyCar is offline   Reply With Quote