Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-04-09, 08:23 PM   #25
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero
Default Re: Empire: Total War Official Thread

Just got home with the Collector's Edition... spiffy box stuff, I missed buying boxes. I also got some kind of Best Buy exclusive boat, so be on the lookout for that.

Installing now... man, Steam takes a long time to install from a DVD.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 08:25 PM   #26
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
Just got home with the Collector's Edition... spiffy box stuff, I missed buying boxes. I also got some kind of Best Buy exclusive boat, so be on the lookout for that.

still a LOT faster then downloading two DVDs
Old 03-04-09, 11:56 PM   #27
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Wow... I have no dang idea what I am doing.

This is my first TW game, so I am somewhat overwhelmed. I am digging it and interested enough to learn to play though, which is key (unlike C&C, where I just tank rush and watch things blow up). I started the storyline campaign but realized it was a bit complicated for a noob, so I played a skirmish... and got whooped! Haha...

Gonna take the booklet to work tomorrow.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Old 03-04-09, 11:57 PM   #28
JasonPC

SLI is very tricky to get to work properly but even with it on the campaign map seems a little jittery. This game is epic
JasonPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 12:34 AM   #29
Blade
It's just a ride....

Quote:

Lol, theres a bug whereby people are actually downloading the whole thing thru steam instead of installing straight from the 2 discs, if you're installing from discs should take no longer than 20 mins the whole thing, if not then u got the bug & are downlaoding the whole game from steam.

G luck, great game!
Old 03-05-09, 01:52 AM   #30
JasonPC

Quote:
Wow... I have no dang idea what I am doing.

This is my first TW game, so I am somewhat overwhelmed. I am digging it and interested enough to learn to play though, which is key (unlike C&C, where I just tank rush and watch things blow up). I started the storyline campaign but realized it was a bit complicated for a noob, so I played a skirmish... and got whooped! Haha...

Gonna take the booklet to work tomorrow.
If you think the Road to Independence mode is tough try the Grand Campaign... The tutorials kind of walk you through the battle modes but don't really teach you any strategies. The Road to Independence story mode is more like a tutorial for the Grand Campaign, which is undoubtably the most complicated part of the game. From looking at the previews I thought they simplified it from past Total War games, but actually it's much more complex, just streamlined a bit. Looking forward to conquering India and cornering the trade there
Old 03-05-09, 05:04 AM   #31
stefan9

I have to wait another week. Game only gets released here next week Friday.
2x2 gig ddr 2 1200 mhz ocz reaper ram
250 gig and 320 gig sata 2 seagate baracuda h/d
intel core2duo e8500
evga geforce 260gtx
sound max dts card
zalman 9500at
windows 7 home premium
stefan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 05:50 AM   #32
Armed_Baboon
Australian Gamer

been playing for the last 3 hours for 10 turns. 5 years in and no conflict so far. I'm building my wealth and technology.

Old 03-05-09, 09:50 AM   #33
JasonPC

It does seem much easier to avoid conflict for a little while at least. Though it looks like your allies will drag you into war. I went quite a few turns without conflict. I remember in Rome Total War it wasn't long at all before I was attacked.
Old 03-05-09, 05:15 PM   #34
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
Lol, theres a bug whereby people are actually downloading the whole thing thru steam instead of installing straight from the 2 discs, if you're installing from discs should take no longer than 20 mins the whole thing, if not then u got the bug & are downlaoding the whole game from steam.

G luck, great game!
Nah, it installed from the DVDs... it just took a while. It did download something when it was done installing, I think you download the .exe file for security purposes or something.

I'm reading the booklet at work, and it isn't helping much. I think I just need to learn strategies... the tutorial doesn't teach that, and nor does the booklet.

Old 03-05-09, 05:31 PM   #35
ahheadlock

bought it last night but didn't install yet, wanted to finish of DOW2 (was it just me, or is the last mission of that ridiculously easy?). Might give it a crack tonight.
ahheadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 07:33 PM   #36
JasonPC

One good strategy or at least something to keep in mind is watch your flank. The enemy often uses their cavalry to sneak past your flanks and attack you from behing or neutralize your artillery. This is something they keep getting me with. Especially the natives, their cavalry units are fast!