Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-07-08, 12:36 PM   #13
artem

Default Re: glxgears stutters in Fedora, not in Ubuntu

To the topic starter: I have a feeling that you've got some intensive background processes running - and that's a probable cause of glxgears stuttering.

Anyway, run `top` to see if X server and glxgears are the only processes which consume your CPU cycles.

Last but not the least: Fedora uses Xorg server 7.4, and if I remember correctly Ubuntu uses the older Xorg server version.
artem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-08, 12:45 PM   #14
coelurus

I explained in my first post that I installed three distros sequentially, I did not bother setting up SETI@home or DFT solvers every time only under Fedora. There are no expensive background processes.

Xorg 7.4 under Ubuntu also.
coelurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-08, 01:15 PM   #15
leigh123linux

Try the beta driver as it has some performance improvements .

F10 x86 (32bit )

Code:
su
yum erase *nvidia* livna-config-display
yum install dkms kernel-devel kernel-headers gcc wget
wget http://www.dfm.uninsubria.it/compiz/fusion-testing/nvidia/i386/nvidia-x11-drv-180.11-1.fc10.i386.rpm
yum --nogpgcheck install nvidia-x11-drv-180.11-1.fc10.i386.rpm
Reboot

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpo...3&postcount=62
Old 12-07-08, 01:22 PM   #16
mooninite

If the OP wants to be taken seriously, I recommend that he try real 3D benchmarks. Download one of the Unigine benchmarks at this link. I recommend the Tropics or Sanctuary benchmark.

http://unigine.com/download/

If the OP needs detailed reasons on why glxgears is useless for even system -> system comparisons, here you go: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Glx...ot_a_Benchmark
mooninite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-08, 02:07 PM   #17
takahide

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooninite View Post
If the OP wants to be taken seriously, I recommend that he try real 3D benchmarks. Download one of the Unigine benchmarks at this link. I recommend the Tropics or Sanctuary benchmark.

http://unigine.com/download/

If the OP needs detailed reasons on why glxgears is useless for even system -> system comparisons, here you go: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Glx...ot_a_Benchmark
Oh come on, are you for real? We established a few posts ago that this topic is not about benchmarking but t-h-r-o-u-g-h-p-u-t.
takahide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-08, 02:25 PM   #18
mooninite

Quote:
Originally Posted by takahide View Post
Oh come on, are you for real? We established a few posts ago that this topic is not about benchmarking but t-h-r-o-u-g-h-p-u-t.
I did read the posts. You're still wrong, but I guess ignorance is bliss.
mooninite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-08, 02:30 PM   #19
coelurus

leigh123, thanks for the constructive tip. The thing is, I used the same stable driver (177.82) under Ubuntu as in Fedora and the latter messed it up. the problem was never the driver. I do appreciate the effort, but it's too late now anyway, I switched to OpenSolaris and it smoked both Ubuntu and Fedora (avg. 9100 FPS compared to avg. 3900 FPS, Fedora halved it! One has to be mental to not understand something is wrong.).

artem, I maybe treated you a bit harsh, the whole issue made me fed up. Sorry about that, you were one of the two to come up with constructive material.

I'm fed up with this flame war. I don't want to offend anybody who should not be offended, but since I'm never gonna visit these forums again for obvious reasons:

I posted a harmless question about why Fedora messed it up. I got some stupid replies and even bashed. Yay.

I don't care about being taken seriously by nitwits. I know what I'm doing when I run glxgears and I don't need copycats linking the same stupid sites to me over and over outside the proper context. I don't care about the absolute frame rate, I don't care about fill rate, I don't care about fragment shader performance, I don't care about memory transfer, I don't care about statistical optimization for read back operations (not yet, but I will have to when I'll have to implement it myself), I don't care about anything of that. Ubuntu was smoother than Fedora using the exact same application, the exact same driver and the exact same X server, still Fedora messed up. I'd like to to atleast get tips on what to look for, but no, that's not how it works. No insightful discussions, newcomers follow stickies and the regulars post bs. When did the Linux community go into this damp, dark hole?

And I did try other things than glxgears, I actually tried games and I have mentioned that. I thought regulars would read posts by newcomers just as they expect the newcomers to read stickies, but they don't. Respect.

This thread is dead to me.

If anybody has anything to add, perhaps someone who has discovered this problem and fixed it, start a new, clean thread for everybody's sake.
coelurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-08, 02:51 PM   #20
takahide

@mooninite: Actually, I'm 100% correct and I have now confirmed that the OP did try with other software and experienced the very same problem with stuttering. If you still think I'm wrong, please explain why, and if you have a solution to the real problem--not the symptom--share it so others can find and use it.
takahide is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-08, 03:02 PM   #21
Dragoran

Try passing "nopat" to the kernel, some people where reporting issues with it (I never saw it on one of my systems thought)
Dragoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-09, 07:51 AM   #22
KCat

This seems to be happening to me now, in Gentoo with KDE 4.2.0. With the 180.22 drivers and kernel 2.6.22, everything was fine. Updated to 180.29 and kernel 2.6.27, and OpenGL (glxgears, Neverwinter Nights, GZDoom) apps started stuttering like mad, to the point of being unplayable. Oddly enough, it's not a blanket problem. Some games don't stutter at all (such as Half-Life 2 in Wine, and native Doom3), and turning off KDE's desktop effects help a little.. though not enough to be really playable for the problem apps.

I've tried updating to the 180.37 drivers, but no luck.
KCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-09, 07:59 AM   #23
tzp

Exclamation Re: glxgears stutters in Fedora, not in Ubuntu

Check if PAT is enabled in your kernel:

Quote:
zcat /proc/config.gz | grep -i pat
to see if CONFIG_X86_PAT is set.

If it is, go and disable it, either with the nopat option or in the kernel config under Processor type and features called x86 PAT support

That helped me with a 8500GT card.
tzp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-09, 08:10 AM   #24
Mostrapotski

Is the powermizer reaching high levels ?
Mostrapotski is offline   Reply With Quote