Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-11-09, 04:27 PM   #1
damentz

Default can't enable KDE4 desktop effects with ~8 or more windows open

Hi nvidia team, I'm getting this weird issues where the nvidia driver will simply freeze if I try to enable desktop effects after using my desktop _without_ effects for a while.

Basically, after you have about 10 windows open, you try to enable desktop effects... it will freeze for a while until KDE4 gives up and says that the system will run too slow and the system is restored to it's previous state.

I attached two bug reports: *-0* was retrieved through ssh without desktop effects on, the system running normally. *-1* was retrieved through ssh while the system was frozen. The curious part about the -1 bug report script is that it was frozen until exactly after KDE4 disabled desktop effects.

With older Xorg packages (xserver 1.4/ xorg 7.3), this desktop effects freeze didn't occur but everything ran slower if anything related to OpenGL was used if Compositing was enabled. After opening several windows, moving a transparent window across the desktop dropped to about 5 FPS and it was just unusable.

Even though it's in the bug report, my graphics card: 8400m gs 128mb
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report-0.log.gz (30.8 KB, 68 views)
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report-1.log.gz (30.9 KB, 68 views)
damentz is offline   Reply With Quote