Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-04-09, 02:48 PM   #61
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: 180.35 breaks terminal

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyvind View Post
It might have been marked stable in this forum, but it's not available here yet:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html
I should clarify the status of the various releases. I think I confused people with the current releases thread, which I'll update to make things clearer.

Our officially sanctioned current release is still the one listed at http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html. In the past, these were the only drivers available. We started posting FTP prereleases, which don't go through as much testing as the official releases, because we want to get updates to users faster. The FTP prereleases I marked as "stable" (i.e. not beta) happened after an official stable release on nvidia.com. These prereleases contain fixes for problems found since the official stable release, but still don't go through the complete testing cycle. In retrospect, that was a mistake and I shouldn't have used the word "stable." In the future, I'll stop labeling prereleases from the stable branch as "stable" and instead list three drivers:
  1. Current official release: The driver currently on nvidia.com
  2. Current prerelease: The latest FTP driver from the stable branch
  3. Current beta release: The latest FTP driver from what will become the next release cycle
Hopefully that will reduce the amount of confusion. As usual, we take customer feedback seriously and are open to suggestions.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 02:52 PM   #62
marchetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
I should clarify the status of the various releases. I think I confused people with the current releases thread, which I'll update to make things clearer.

Our officially sanctioned current release is still the one listed at http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html. In the past, these were the only drivers available. We started posting FTP prereleases, which don't go through as much testing as the official releases, because we want to get updates to users faster. The FTP prereleases I marked as "stable" (i.e. not beta) happened after an official stable release on nvidia.com. These prereleases contain fixes for problems found since the official stable release, but still don't go through the complete testing cycle. In retrospect, that was a mistake and I shouldn't have used the word "stable." In the future, I'll stop labeling prereleases from the stable branch as "stable" and instead list three drivers:
  1. Current official release: The driver currently on nvidia.com
  2. Current prerelease: The latest FTP driver from the stable branch
  3. Current beta release: The latest FTP driver from what will become the next release cycle
Hopefully that will reduce the amount of confusion. As usual, we take customer feedback seriously and are open to suggestions.
Thanks for your speak (with us), there was an evident confusion.
marchetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 03:36 PM   #63
xorbe
Unbuffered User

My suggestion is to mark a well-received pre-release as official. Stop doing that "Mandriva" thing where they "just fixed a couple things, upgraded a couple packages" and then shove the release ISOs out the door, invariably with something major broken...
xorbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 01:39 PM   #64
AdamW

When has Mandriva ever done that?
AdamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 06:44 PM   #65
xorbe
Unbuffered User

Hey Mr forum.mandriva.com refugee! ;-)

They do, I swear. Each release they manage to hose either Firefox, or kernel, or some KDE functionality or something. I've been using them since a very long time ago. With the RC1 due today I think, RC2 and final are soon. Way too soon to include 2.6.29 kernel (which is in cooker). They should freeze package revisions 3 months before release... They don't need to be Debian stable, but something between would be good...
Old 03-06-09, 06:51 AM   #66
rv77ax

Send a message via Yahoo to rv77ax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space View Post
And this is the reason why I will not buy or recommend NVidia again. It took me two days to figure out why my system was behaving so strangely (after a Gentoo world update) and I never thought that a *DISPLAY* driver can cause problems like ctrl-c and other keys don't work in some apps but not in others.
oh.. for crying out loud, stay away from GNU/Linux if you can not stand with a little crash here and there. Your distro was not match with your attitude, what an odd.

Quote:
I don't know what they got wrong but calling this driver stable tells me they did not do very much QA in these drivers. And I still very much remember the performance problems which were obviously neglected for a very long time.
who's said 180.35 was a stable driver ?
even if some one said a driver is stable, but have a bug, you... i mean, I can revert back and use the last working driver. Not a big problem.

Quote:
Bye bye NNidia. Maybe you will see me again after opening your drivers but I don't think so.
<sarcasm>
yeah, see you later, and good luck with Via!
</sarcasm>
rv77ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-09, 12:33 PM   #67
xorbe
Unbuffered User

Look just a few posts up.

"Official" release.

"Prerelease" or "Latest Stable" from stable branch. Guess stable implies official to some people, confusion ensues.

"Beta"
Old 03-09-09, 05:39 AM   #68
maninalift

I'm still not sure this is quite clear.

Strictly speaking "beta" is just a special case of "prerelease" and my gut instinct if I saw those two labels would be to consider "prerelease" the less stable of the two.

"release candidate" or "currently testing" might be a clearer label for the "prerelease" driver.

Or perhaps to rename what is currently called "prerelease" "beta" and call what is currently called "beta" "development version" or "under development".
maninalift is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-09, 05:57 AM   #69
Gregoire.Favre

You certainly all noticed : 180.37 solve this problem ;-)
Gregoire.Favre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-09, 07:10 AM   #70
kantlivelong

This issue was resolved in 180.37
kantlivelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-09, 12:00 PM   #71
craftyguy

I'm still having this issue in 180.37..
craftyguy is offline   Reply With Quote