Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-12-09, 03:53 PM   #1
jorgehumberto

Default Help with Nvidia Drivers for 9500M GS

Hi,

I am trying to run Fedora 10 (64bit) on my laptop, an ASUS G1Sn (T9300, 4GB RAM, Nvidia 9500M GS), but I am unable to install the drivers for my graphic card. At first I tried to install the drivers using:
Quote:
yum install kmod
or
Quote:
yum install akmod
from rpm-fusion, with no luck.
Then, I tried installing the drivers I downloaded from nvidia (NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-180.29-pkg2.run), but no luck there also. I attached the NVidia error log so you can look at it.
I even re-installed the OS, just in case kmod and akmod would leave something in the system that might influence the installation.

I am just starting in linux, so please advise. Btw, my kernel is:
Quote:
# uname -a
Linux Antarres 2.6.27.19-170.2.35.fc10.x86_64
If you need anything else, just ask.

Thanks,
Jorge
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-installer.log (41.6 KB, 90 views)
jorgehumberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-09, 04:43 PM   #2
Manshoon

Default Re: Help with Nvidia Drivers for 9500M GS

It looks like the installer is compiling against the wrong kernel source files. If the kernel was upgraded after you installed (for security fixes etc.) you'll need to download the new sources in order for the installer to build the correct module for you.

You can install the package from Add/Remove Software under System/Administration. It's name is kernel-devel-(version number).fc10 , the version number should match that of the package you have installed for "Linux Kernel". If you search for "kernel" it should come right up. Hope this helps.
Manshoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-09, 02:01 AM   #3
jorgehumberto

Hi Manshoon,

Unfortunately, the devel tools for the version of the kernel I have are already installed. One thing I forgot to add was that I even downloaded a new kernel and compiled it myself with the installed tools and it still does not work. I looked around a little bit more and found that this might be one of those "known issues" with the 64 bit version of fedora... I think I will install the 32 bit version and check if I can get the NVidia drivers to work. Anyway, I just wanted the 64 bit edition in order to address the 4GB of RAM without using PAE...

Anyway thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Jorge
Old 03-13-09, 01:11 PM   #4
jorgehumberto

ok, no luck on the 32 bit OS either.. any idea? I am starting to feel desperate...

Thanks,
Jorge
Old 03-13-09, 02:13 PM   #5
jorgehumberto

Another update:
I managed to install kmod-nvidia-beta drivers from rpm fusion and did not get a single error, but in order to do it, I had to revert to an older kernel an select the beta drivers for that kernel. The problem is that when the X server starts, all I get is a flashing screen for about 10 seconds and then it stops and I can only access terminal sessions.

Jorge