Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-09-09, 06:23 PM   #13
ngolian

Default Re: 9800GTX+ crashing, hardware or software?

I checked the driver's README, it gave some hints about issues which can cause instability, although most of them seem to be for older kernels. Once I've finished the "nv" experiment I'm going to try different settings for NvAGP. Maybe one of you would like to try that if you want to persevere with the binary driver.
ngolian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-09, 07:03 PM   #14
Thoop

Well I've been trying to get directx to work in my windows xp vmware image today and so I'm going to have to install a driver. It must be some problem with OpenGL like you said since it's working fine so far with the nv driver(which doesnt support 3d acceleration).

After some searching, this is the link to supported ETCH nvidia cards for 1.0-8776 driver: http://http.download.nvidia.com/XFre...ppendix-a.html

As you can see from the above link, our 9800 gtx is not on the supported list (I know thats not the same driver), but maybe that has something to do with it? I know I installed my graphics driver on etch before I upgraded to lenny (when I was getting the freeze before I had to reinstall).

This link is for "if you dont use ETCH" (hopefully that means if you use lenny or sid), these are the supported nvidia cards for 173.14.09 driver: http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...ppendix-a.html

9800 gtx is on this list and now that I reinstalled and upgraded to lenny, I'm going to try the 173.14.09 driver. I'll report back if I have trouble. EDIT: I'm going to try 180.29 :/

Update: while writing this I tried this script from the nvidia site to check which version i should run: http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphic...ia-versions.sh

It told me this: "Uh oh. Your card is only supported by versions ulterior to 173, which were only packaged in experimental." So it looks like im going to have to install the driver from sid? I'm new to linux so I hope installing the sid driver on lenny wont mess anything up.

Sorry for all the links :P but here is where I was getting all my info http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphic...1f289fd5daa658
Thoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-09, 07:11 PM   #15
ngolian

Well I've been using 180.* drivers from experimental and unstable (which recently leapfrogged experimental for nvidia) and still been getting the crashes, so the bad news is that if you do manage to install the "unstable" driver I don't think it will fix your problem.

To install sid drivers on lenny, add the sid/unstable repositories to /etc/apt/sources.list and run "apt-get -t unstable nvidia-glx". I don't know whether it will succeed, but it should automatically update anything it needs to work with the newer version.

It isn't just OpenGL either, something about scrolling an ordinary window sometimes triggers it for me.
Old 03-09-09, 07:32 PM   #16
Thoop

Hmm, I'm not sure what to do then. I need some 3d acceleration but any 3d drivers are going to cause crashes. I'm surprised this isn't a more common issue. Not sure what to do at this point.
Old 03-14-09, 09:00 PM   #17
Thoop

I upgraded to the newer drivers and everything was going fine. I opened up VMPlayer just now and had this same issue happen again . I thought i was over it but i guess not. Have you experienced it again ngolian?
Old 03-15-09, 08:41 AM   #18
ngolian

I've been using the nv driver instead this week, that hasn't crashed. I'll give it a couple more days then try the nvidia driver again with various NvAGP settings.

When my mind turned to AGP/GART I started wondering if we have chipsets in common. Mine is an Intel 945G running a Core2Duo.
Old 03-15-09, 08:55 AM   #19
Dragoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngolian View Post
I've been using the nv driver instead this week, that hasn't crashed. I'll give it a couple more days then try the nvidia driver again with various NvAGP settings.

When my mind turned to AGP/GART I started wondering if we have chipsets in common. Mine is an Intel 945G running a Core2Duo.
You have a PCI-E card, AGP settings do not have any effect.
Dragoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-09, 09:08 AM   #20
ngolian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoran View Post
You have a PCI-E card, AGP settings do not have any effect.
This is something I don't know much about, but I think PCI-e still uses GART and might be backwards compatible with AGP, using the same agpgart driver. OTOH it doesn't seem to support any recent chipsets. But for some reason I can't turn it off in my kernel. Well, something else to experiment with.

Old 03-15-09, 09:53 AM   #21
Dragoran

Quote:
This is something I don't know much about, but I think PCI-e still uses GART and might be backwards compatible with AGP, using the same agpgart driver. OTOH it doesn't seem to support any recent chipsets. But for some reason I can't turn it off in my kernel. Well, something else to experiment with.
No, as I said above agpgart settings do not have any effect on this card.
Dragoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-09, 03:18 PM   #22
ngolian

Despite that, CONFIG_AGP=y is forced on in the kernel config, so adding the boot option "agp=off" might help.
Old 03-15-09, 08:22 PM   #23
Thoop

I've got a P45 with a quad core.

I'd like to use the nv driver but to run opengl in vmware I have to use the nvidia drivers I'm still getting crashes every day or so.
Old 03-17-09, 01:51 PM   #24
ngolian

Quote:
Despite that, CONFIG_AGP=y is forced on in the kernel config, so adding the boot option "agp=off" might help.
It doesn't . I wonder whether it's any use reporting it to NVidia. I don't especially need OpenGL, but I do need at least Xv, so without a fix I suppose I'll have to downgrade to my old 8600.