Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-14-09, 10:03 AM   #1
|MaguS|

Default *** Official Demon's Souls Thread***

This game is great. I really would recommend it to everyone who is looking for an open ended RPG on the PS3. I would say its better then Oblivion on some aspects and I was really surprised on how good the game is, especially expecting it to be an average game when its really an excellent game.

One of the coolest aspects about the game is that it's technically online always even though your playing solo for the most part. What happens is that the premise of the game is collecting lost souls and you see other players as these souls. From their sucessful attemps to their deaths (you can witness these events by touching pools of blood on the floor). It's a really interesting feature.

Another cool thing you can do is that you can drop one of two stones on the floor and if another player picks them up depending on which stone you dropped you can either help the player or become an evil shadow in his game and attack him. Really awesome!

The gameplay is very Action RPG. It's stats based but not xp based, more rather you can increase your stats by buying levels with souls you collected, souls you collect are the currency of the world. You use them to buy items and repair your gear aswell. The combat though is all action played from the 3rd person. It controls decent, not great but better then many other 3rd person RPGs. The smoothness of your characters movement is dependent of your gear, don't expect to be rolling and dodging well wearing plate armor (completely threw me off when I tried and my character ended up face first in the dirt).

The actual combat is nice, you can block and attack like Oblivion but unlike Oblivion you can't controll the direction of your swings. You can though switch between one handed and two handed combat with any weapon on the fly which changes combat significantly. I haven't tried the magic part of the game yet so I can't comment on that.

There are other things about the game that is a nice concept is that you never get a game over. If you die you resurrected as a soul and must kill enough enemies to regain your body or join another player (through the stone drop method) and either kill him or help him kill a boss.

On the graphics side of things, the game looks pretty good. It's no Oblivion but being that its a darker world it still looks pretty good. Bosses are HUGE and look amazing, my jaw dropped when I saw the Dragon boss. It looked better then even LAIRs Dragons. The world is nicely detailed and represents the world its trying to create very well. The nexus (Limbo) looks all mystical while the swamps are spooky and damp looking. Textures are crisp most of the time with some real nice bloom lighting going on, not over done like other games try. Animations could use some work though, they look good most of the time but after something dies it ragdolls like crazy, often getting dragged around when walking over the corpse.

I haven't experianced any performance issues yet so I can't comment on that aspect. The frame rate seems stable, even when lots of things are getting destroyed and effects going on it never dips. Up close the game could use some AA but during gameplay it never really hurts the games look because its so dark the game most of the time that it hides it often pretty well.

Over all I would give the game a B, its a great game that needs to make it over to the west. The RPG gameplay is very western styled over the Japanese Turnbase that we are use to. If there is any JRPG I would compare it to it would be Monster Hunter. If you liked Monster Hunter and games like Oblivion then I would really recommend checking it out. I imported my copy from Play-Asia (Asian Ver, not Jap).
Old 03-14-09, 10:52 AM   #2
LORD-eX-Bu
Horus the pointy master

Default Re: Demon's Souls

so this isn't out in the US? Is it in english? I don't want to be playing with a million gold farmers and spam bots
Old 03-14-09, 11:04 AM   #3
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORD-eX-Bu View Post
so this isn't out in the US? Is it in english? I don't want to be playing with a million gold farmers and spam bots
No it has only released in Asia Markets and Japan. The Asian version is completely in english (Dialoge, menu's, subtitles... everything but the games manual). They have no plans to release it to the western market as of right now even though it has been translated already...

The game is not really an online game where there are gold farmers...
Old 03-15-09, 12:52 AM   #4
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Sounds awesome... might import it when I get the chance.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-09, 07:29 AM   #5
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

100AUD at Play-Asia :: Not including shipping.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-09, 08:59 AM   #6
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
100AUD at Play-Asia :: Not including shipping.
Check ebay.
Old 03-15-09, 03:24 PM   #7
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

100AUD on eBay : Not including shipping.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-09, 03:30 PM   #8
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
100AUD on eBay : Not including shipping.
Paypal me the money and I will get it for you.

EDIT: NM, That's like normal. I payed $70 for the game...

Old 03-15-09, 03:36 PM   #9
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

If this was gamefaqs I would say "OMG WALL OF TEXT" and make fun of you for being verbose.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-09, 11:22 PM   #10
|MaguS|

After 4+ hours I can honestly say that this is one of the most difficult RPGs I have ever played. Now I know why they didn't release this hear, this **** is kick you in your nuts difficult. I have only defeated the first boss... I can't even bother to explorer the other worlds that I opened because the normal enemies are just to difficult...
Old 03-17-09, 04:17 AM   #11
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Dang it Magus... I hate your guts. All the hype you have been laying on this game was getting to me, so now I have been watching youtube videos and it looks good... now I might have to spend money to import this dang game, I hate you!
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-09, 10:27 AM   #12
|MaguS|

Just get it. It's a great game that will last you a long time. The trophy room has people who have over 130 hours of gameime clocked.