Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-28-02, 01:25 PM   #13
netviper13
Treehugger

Eliteists, eh? I think you have that a little turned around there. The only eliteist mindset is that of people who rely solely on theoretical benchmarks, even if they have no bearing in real-life games.

If a graphics card were released tomorrow that scored 20,000 3dMarks but didn't improve gameplay in Q3 or the other games, I'm betting a lot of people would still buy it; which is very sad.

Look at how much the 3dMark results are skewed when comparing GF2 Ultra to GF3. The Ultra loses 1000+ points because it can't do DX8 effects, yet in the actual game benchmarks it's not THAT far behind.
netviper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-02, 08:31 AM   #14
Spectral
DJ Spectral

Any card that could pull 20,000 3dmarks would be better than any videocard on the market today. No doubts in my mind at all.

The GeForce3 was made for DirectX8... the GeForce2Ultra wasnt.. Of course the ultra is gonna score lower. Its also gonna perform less in real world games... You think a GF2ultra is gonna be pumping out pixelshading with ease? No.

People who deny the usefulness of 3dmark, are Elitists. They are the same people who come to the boards using Windows and bitch about how Microsoft sucks.. Yet, Windows works, and its more user friendly, with more hardware and game support than any OS in existance.

Yet, people talk smack about it. Same goes with 3dmark. It works, it does its job and gives you an all around idea of how a card will work in relation to games. Anybody who denies its usefulness in giving an idea of the cards performance is ignorant.

Back it up with some facts... I have plenty of facts stating that my opinion is a valid one. Just makes me upset that so many people have jumped on the 3dmark sucks bandwagon for no reason other than to just rebel against something... anything.
AthlonXP1900+@2100+, Abit KR7A-Raid, Radeon 9700 Pro (core370/mem666), 256Megs PC2100, 2x 40gig WD7200, Soundblaster Audigy Platinum, KDS VS 19" CRT, Klipsch ProMedia 5.1s, Creative 12x DVD, TDK 24x CDRW, 500Watt PSU, Win2kSP3.
Spectral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-02, 02:14 PM   #15
LoRD.MuAD'diB
Kwisatz Haderach

Elitists....yes....

Benchmarks are supposed to be standardized. When you tell people to pick a random game, with random settings, and post their results in a Benchmark Forum, you negate the point of a benchmark. Who cares if it's theoretical? 3DMark provides a standard way for everyone here to compare their systems. Fire it up, leave the settings at defaults, hit benchmark, post your results. If you delve into it, you can get a pretty good idea as to how the memory bandwidth, fill rates, etc compare between different hardware configurations.

I mean we're enthusiasts here right? We risk everything for a few percent performance increase. 3DMark lets us test the performance of our computers on multiple levels, and at the same time test the stability to an extent. I say keep posting your 3DMark scores. Does your score beat mine? Then right on! Does your nVidia card give your system the edge over my Radeon? Freaking sweet! Other people's scores are one of the many things I look at before upgrading.

Saturn, if you want to continue to be sandy about people posting on topics they enjoy, that's fine. It's up to you, being a moderator, it's your right to shoot down anyone who posts here. And if I may be so bold, your rather good at it. I like it here, as I'm sure anyone who posts does. But if it comes down to people not being allowed to speak their minds without getting blasted for it, there's plenty of other message boards out there.

http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=3823775
LoRD.MuAD'diB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-02, 06:25 AM   #16
Gator
Unreal Tournament Gamer

Default Re: 10,300 3DMark2001SE any good for TI 4200?

Quote:
Originally posted by Danno
Hey guys, is that score good for a G4 TI4200 at stock speed?
Also, if I moderately OC this card, what speeds can I expect to reach?
Thanks!
yes 10300 is a good score, but it may not be a reliable one. What I mean by that is I notice you are overclocking your AthlonXP by the FSB only. 3dmark is VERY sensitive to an FSB over 133mhz.

I've seen people with Duron's and R8500 come close to my score in 3dmark simply because they clock the hell out of there FSB, and 3dmark doesnt know how to handle it correctly.

3dmark is kinda bleh... lol
Old 09-20-02, 11:55 PM   #17
Ramshambo2001
*DEAD*

Send a message via AIM to Ramshambo2001

7550 radeon 8500 64 mb amd 1.33 ghz 256 ddr ram, NOW WHERE IS THAT GOD DAMN CLAWHAMMER!
Ramshambo2001 is offline   Reply With Quote