Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-11-09, 01:01 PM   #1
ewcvideo

Default recent Fedora 10 upgrade incompatible with 173.14.15

Recent (since 06 March 2009) Fedora 10 upgrades appear to have broken driver 173.14.15 for GeForceFX5200 card. Running x86, kernel 2.6.27.12-170.2.5.fc10.i686 with all upgrades current to 10 march 2009 applied. Problem is that some 3D applications requiring openGL will not run eg. NVIZ in GRASS-GIS, and tux racer, which gives this error message:

--snip--
Error: glXCreateContext failed
/usr/share/opengl-games-utils/opengl-game-functions.sh: line 4: [: !=: unary operator expected
Extreme TuxRacer SVN Development -- http://www.extremetuxracer.com
(c) 2007 The ETRacer team
(c) 2004-2005 The PPRacer team
(c) 1999-2001 Jasmin F. Patry<jfpatry@sunspirestudios.com>
ETRacer comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software,
and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.
See http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html for details.

*** etracer error: Couldn't initialize video: Could not create GL context (Resource temporarily unavailable)
--snip--

This could become permanent nvidia driver issue if upgrade issues causing the problems are not fixed.

nvidia-bug-report file is attached (I hope)
ewcvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-09, 01:10 PM   #2
kwizart

Default Re: recent Fedora 10 upgrade incompatible with 173.14.15

Do you have the usual ModulePath Section in your xorg.conf ?
Does the nvidia kernel module is available for your running kernel ? modinfo nvidia ?
kwizart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-09, 12:33 AM   #3
ewcvideo

I've attached files with xorg.conf and output from "modinfo nvidia" for the desktop box with GeForceFX5200 card (173.xx driver), and also for laptop with GeForce4 card (96.xx driver). As you'll note from my post re. 96.xx (done at the same time as my original post for 173.xx driver), the problem appears more severe on the laptop ... where X-server shuts down and restarts when there's a call for 3D and/or acceleration.

All worked fine before the Fedora upgrades were applied the other week ... same nvidia drivers, same xorg.conf files, no kernel changes, nothing changed except for what was done by the upgrades. Unfortunately, I can't remember what upgrades were applied to cause the problems.

I posted in Fedora's bugzilla as well, but since nvidia drivers are not open source, Fedora gently backed out of doing anything about this.
Attached Files
File Type: txt 173.xx_files.txt (2.8 KB, 54 views)
File Type: txt 96.xx_files.txt (3.4 KB, 73 views)
Old 03-17-09, 05:44 AM   #4
kwizart

Here is what your Files section should look like.

Please be aware that nvidia-config isn't compliant to the default xorg.conf from Fedora 10. It wrongly assume some section are missing and regenerate it from scratch which rip out the ModulePath directive. Nevertheless, this problem should have been workaround

Section "Files"
ModulePath "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"
ModulePath "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/"
EndSection

Every nvidia users on Fedora should know the way to Install the nvidia driver on Fedora from rpmfusion.
kwizart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-09, 08:40 PM   #5
ewcvideo

Many thanks.

You are right, nvidia-config is not compliant to the default xorg.conf. But while things were working fine originally, it appears that a recent Fedora upgrade also may have pushed the originally installed drivers (downloaded from nvidia site) over the edge, as "nvidia-installer --uninstall" complained that a library file had changed since installation.

I re-installing nvidia drivers from rpm fusion and now things appear to be working fine on both computers. Thanks again.