Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-09-09, 04:18 PM   #1
xtknight

Default Switching to virtual terminals causes crash over DVI-I

Whenever I use a DVI-I connector (specifically, DVI-I), trying to access the virtual terminals results in failure. The video card attempts to switch from digital to analog mode and during this period it either causes some type of kernel crash or simple displays a black screen. Sometimes I am able to switch back to X with Ctrl+Alt+F7, and sometimes not. (More about when this happens later.)

The weird thing is, when I use a DVI-D cable, everything is fine. Text mode doesn't switch to analog, because on a DVI-D connector, you can't. Why it's trying to switch to an analog when digital is available on DVI-I, I'm not sure.

My monitor (NEC LCD2690WUXi) allows me to force the connector type advertised by the monitor, but this still doesn't help when I force digital. If I force it to be analog all the time through DVI-I, then there are no problems at all. Even when I force digital, text mode somehow still tries to be analog and results in a crash.

If I start up the computer with DVI-I and 'auto' (not forcing analog or digital), then the problem occurs. It also occurs when I force digital. This means there's a complete crash and I can't switch back to X.

If I start the computer with DVI-I forced as analog, the virtual terminals work fine. If at this point I tell my monitor to force digital and restart X, then X continues to work fine (X always works fine). At that point when I switch back I don't experience a system crash, but instead just a black screen. I can switch back to X fine.

Whenever it crashes (I call it a crash when X won't come back after pressing Ctrl-Alt-F7), Magic SysRq generally works and I use the REISUB sequence to gracefully restart my system. This is all using Ubuntu Intrepid.

Sometimes in Jaunty I think even SysRq dies and I the numlock keys don't work.

How would I go about debugging this? I don't believe X logs would be helpful. Probably something along the lines of backtraces and hardcore debugging. As hard as I tried (setting root file system to sync, setting loglevel to 8, using REISUB), I struggled and could not find a single log message in dmesg,syslog,kern.log,messages.

Using NVIDIA 180.37 x86_64. And doesn't matter what VT fb mode I specify with GRUB. It's merely a problem when the video driver goes from outputting DVI-D to DVI-A, I am pretty sure. (I wished the VT consoles would still be DVI-D over DVI-I...not sure why it's even switching to analog but it should at least work.)
xtknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-09, 01:11 PM   #2
xtknight

Default Re: Switching to virtual terminals causes crash over DVI-I

So any pointers on where to begin debugging this??
Old 03-18-09, 08:47 PM   #3
xtknight

Default Re: Switching to virtual terminals causes crash over DVI-I

bump...