Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-19-09, 12:25 PM   #1
Redeemed

Default Minor Lag with Blu-Ray playback...

Hey ya'll... just had a question about Blu-Ray playback. My buddy has an A64-X2 6000, with 2GB DDR2800, ASUS CrossHair mobo, and an 8600GTS. When we play a Blu-Ray movie, there is *minor* stuttering... like the computer is attempting to load or what not. He does not have PureVideo, but isn't apposed to purchasing it. The "lag" is barely noticeable, unless you're looking for it. And it only lasts for maybe a second at most, and is kinda' random.

Would a new video card solve the issue? He has the latest mobo and video card drivers. We are using the Power DVD that came bundled with this LG BD/HD-DVD drive. I haven't checked for any Windows Updates, but not sure how those could effect this.

Is the processor inadequate? Not enough RAM? I'm considering having the rig record (graph) what is being taxed the most during a BD playback but haven't done that yet.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions!
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-09, 12:36 PM   #2
|MaguS|

Default Re: Minor Lag with Blu-Ray playback...

hmm he should have a capable rig for Blu-Ray playback. I have no issues with my HTPC and its similar other then the gpu which doesn't affect my playback since I don't use a gpu accelerated player.
Old 03-19-09, 12:45 PM   #3
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
hmm he should have a capable rig for Blu-Ray playback. I have no issues with my HTPC and its similar other then the gpu which doesn't affect my playback since I don't use a gpu accelerated player.
Don't get me wrong bro... it's hardly noticeable unless you are looking for it. Think like in a video game where you get a continual 60FPS... except for that one half second to second where it might have to load or it does a "quicksave". Make sense? It is very minor and minimal, but I was just curious is there was a way to completely remove it.
Old 03-19-09, 12:47 PM   #4
Redeemed

I should add, not sure if it makes a difference, his TV is the Vizio 55" LCD unit, and the 8600GTS has HDMI, so he's using HDMI for the video.
Old 03-19-09, 12:58 PM   #5
|MaguS|

Are his hds thrashing?
Old 03-19-09, 02:13 PM   #6
Redeemed

Quote:
Are his hds thrashing?
Always. He's running Vista with no services disabled.

Are you implying he might need to defrag? I doubt he's *ever* defragged his hard drive...
Old 03-19-09, 02:25 PM   #7
|MaguS|

Not defrag since Vista does it automatically but it could be that he's swapping too much... Is his HD a 7200RPM drive?
Old 03-19-09, 02:37 PM   #8
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

What other programs are running in the background? Anything like torrent?
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-09, 03:27 PM   #9
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
I should add, not sure if it makes a difference, his TV is the Vizio 55" LCD unit, and the 8600GTS has HDMI, so he's using HDMI for the video.
which model? is it VF550XVT? the lastest 55incher?

what refresh rates are available in PC mode? don't use 60hz
Old 03-19-09, 03:45 PM   #10
Redeemed

Quote:
Not defrag since Vista does it automatically but it could be that he's swapping too much... Is his HD a 7200RPM drive?
It is a 7200RMP drive, 16MB cache. It's the 500GB Samsung SATA II drive. I could try disabling the pagefile. With how he uses his computer, 2GB RAM should be more than sufficient. If not, it wont be nothing to bump it up to 8GB. That'd get him prepared for when he upgrades to Windows7 x64 once it comes out (retail).

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
What other programs are running in the background? Anything like torrent?
No torrents at all. He's like me and anti-piracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
which model? is it VF550XVT? the lastest 55incher?

what refresh rates are available in PC mode? don't use 60hz
I believe that's the one- supports 120hz. But I noticed, for the resolution, it allows only upto 60hz. Could that be it?
Old 03-19-09, 11:46 PM   #11
grimreefer

dude, 2 gb isnt sufficient with a disabled pagefile with vista.

i would just rip it to the hard drive,and then using mpc home cinema(configure it to use the gpu) to play them rather than the cyberlink codec, see if that does anything.

try the refresh rate thing first though.
Old 03-22-09, 01:21 PM   #12
einstein_314
w00t!!

If he only has 2GB of ram I don't think disabling the pagefile is a smart idea....

What kind of CPU usage does he get when playing a bluray? I don't think the refresh rate could be causing this type of stutter....normally the refresh rate problem is constant jittering (caused by 3:2 pulldown) that most of the time you can't really notice. It's only on slow long pans that you can really see it. So if the CPU usage is really high, then obviously hardware acceleration isn't working...does his videocard support HA? Maybe he should invest in a cheap 9 series card (like 9400) that supports HA. Maybe it's a codec issue?
Logitech Z-5300 Speakers || Sennheiser HD555's || Logitech G7 || Logitech G15 || Windows Vista Ultimate x64
einstein_314 is offline   Reply With Quote