Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-19-09, 11:14 PM   #13
xorbe
Unbuffered User

Default Re: Modern Graphics Card Failure Rates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medion View Post
3% is considered the target, or max, for modern mainstream electronics. However, high end cards are meant to be pushed to the limit, so there generally will be a higher failure rate.
So when I buy a mobo, psu, gfx card, hdd, cpu, video card, ram, optical drive, and monitor, that's 9 items.

1 - ((1 - 0.03) ^ 9) => 24.0% chance that one of the components needs an RMA! (And I did get 2 things that needed an RMA, the lcd monitor and the video card, go figure.)
xorbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-09, 11:19 PM   #14
Absolution
AbsoUI

I've never seen a graphics card DOA, much unlike MB's and ram. I'm calling BS.
Absolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 04:41 AM   #15
wysiwyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Only if you believe The Inquirer and their unnamed (FUD) sources.

Stakes are high, the game is getting interesting. Faced with the harsh realities and losing your job in these times, how many can say they wouldn't plant FUD like this?
i had two dodgy 8800GT's when they were released
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 05:04 AM   #16
Rollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
i had two dodgy 8800GT's when they were released
If the target failure rate for products like this is 3%, you could conceivably get two defective samples of any card.

A lot of people had no problems with their 8800GTs, or GTX280s.

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 05:50 AM   #17
LordJuanlo
Widescreen rules

As I posted in other thread, GPU cafe got this data from hardware.fr, and it's one of the most reputed French tech sites, but it may not be very famous outside France. They did a similar research to check hard drive failure rates, you can check it here, being Samsung the worst with a 2.8% and Western Digital the best with 1.2%. I consider those guys a reliable source.

Faulty GPUs cost nVidia $43.6 million, I think most of them are from the infamous notebook GPUs.

Quote:
Certain notebook configurations of these MCP and GPU products are failing in the field at higher than normal rates. While we have not been able to determine a root cause for these failures, testing suggests a weak material set of die/package combination, system thermal management designs, and customer use patterns are contributing factors.
ATI 5870 (Graphics) + GeForce 9600GT (PhysX) on Samsung SM244T 1920x1200
LG GGW-H20L BluRay & HD-DVD / Logitech Z-5500 5.1 DTS / Westone 3 Earphones
Asus Xonar D2 / 360 Elite Wireless Controller / Gigabyte Odin GT 800W
Windows 7 x64
(also a 360 and a PSP )
LordJuanlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 06:28 AM   #18
Rollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordJuanlo View Post
As I posted in other thread, GPU cafe got this data from hardware.fr, and it's one of the most reputed French tech sites, but it may not be very famous outside France. They did a similar research to check hard drive failure rates, you can check it here, being Samsung the worst with a 2.8% and Western Digital the best with 1.2%. I consider those guys a reliable source.

Faulty GPUs cost nVidia $43.6 million, I think most of them are from the infamous notebook GPUs.
What do you consider hardware.fr a "reliable source" based on Lord Juanlo? Have you been reading them many years and found what they said to be true most of the time? Or does agreeing with them serve your pro-ATi agenda?

As far as the Tom's article goes, we've all known for some time that some laptop chips had a higher failure rate and that NVIDIA and their partners did the right thing and offered extended warranties. That article just tells us that that only 1/5 of the money they set aside was used last year, suggesting the problem may be for less common than even NVIDIA thought.

The problem with hardware.fr's article is that is uses an "unnamed source" so we have no way of verifying it. It boils down to "some guy said". What if the guy applied for a job at NVIDIA, got told to get lost, went back to his job at the computer store shipping dept. and sent these cooked statistics on company letterhead for revenge?

What if the returns numbers are valid, but the GTX280 has the highest number because people returned them due to the highest cost?

Point being, data from one unnamed retailer in a small foreign country isn't exactly what I'm going to assume is the worldwide trend.

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 06:45 AM   #19
wysiwyg

wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 08:47 AM   #20
Ninja Prime

Good to see the fanboys out in force, questioning the source rather than the fact that nvidia made a lot of sh!tty cards.
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-09, 09:47 AM   #21
LordJuanlo
Widescreen rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Or does agreeing with them serve your pro-ATi agenda?
Anyone on this forum with half a brain would see that my agenda is not pro-ATI, but pro-truth. As I have posted a couple of times before, today I'm recommending people to buy nVidia cards if they don't have money problems. Today I have an ATI card, because it was the best, the fastest, when I bought it. My previous cards were a 8800GTX, a 7950GT and a 6800. And for god's sake, I will buy whatever card will be faster when the next generation is released, god damnit.

I'm not pro-ATI or pro-nVidia, I'm pro-ME, I buy what I consider the best and I couldn't care less about the brand. And if someone speaks bs about a product and I have something to say, I will say it, because I don't like people to get confused by lies from "brand fans".

Geez
ATI 5870 (Graphics) + GeForce 9600GT (PhysX) on Samsung SM244T 1920x1200
LG GGW-H20L BluRay & HD-DVD / Logitech Z-5500 5.1 DTS / Westone 3 Earphones
Asus Xonar D2 / 360 Elite Wireless Controller / Gigabyte Odin GT 800W
Windows 7 x64
(also a 360 and a PSP )
LordJuanlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 12:21 PM   #22
john19055

I guess I have been lucky with graphic cards ,(Knock on wood)I have only had one ever go bad on me and it was a TI-4600 ,but all of my other cards have been good including ATI,Radeon 64DDR, 9500pro,9800pro,X1800XT,X1950XT and a HD-2900XT.and my last nvidia cards 2-7800GT,2-7900GTX,2-8800GTS,640mb version,2-9800XT,2-BFG GTX280 OCX.But I usally buy EVGA or BFG and they have always been good to me.
Intel i7-3820+Corsair H-100+Gigabyte X79-UD5+16gigs G.Skill PC1600DDR3+2-ASUS DirectCU II GTX-670 in SLI+Crucial 256g-SSD+1-3Gig Seagate+2- Samsung 1-TB+3-WesternDigtial 640g+LG-12x Blu-Ray Burner+850watt XFX+Antec-P280 case+50" Plasma PM6700+Logitech Mouse+Keyboard+Pioneer VSX-1020+Polk Audio Speakers
john19055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 03:11 PM   #23
MaxBlade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Prime View Post
Good to see the fanboys out in force, questioning the source rather than the fact that nvidia made a lot of sh!tty cards.
Hmm lol yeah thats it.. Well I can only speak from personal experience and I have yet to RMA one Nvidia card. Granted they have in the past made some.. questionable cards yet those have not failed. Yet with ATI I have only had to RMA one. So I would question the source and yet I am a fanboy lol (what a way to try to bate others) of none. I've been blessed.

So Evga, Asus, BFG blah blah have no accountability? Yet we all know be it graphics, soundcard, motherboard, CPU, anything like that all brake down. And please the odds that "oh I dont overclock anything it just stopped" you really believe that lmao? Now add those thousands if not millions to the source..then we start to see a different picture.
Old 03-20-09, 06:32 PM   #24
Ninja Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxBlade View Post
Hmm lol yeah thats it.. Well I can only speak from personal experience and I have yet to RMA one Nvidia card. Granted they have in the past made some.. questionable cards yet those have not failed. Yet with ATI I have only had to RMA one. So I would question the source and yet I am a fanboy lol (what a way to try to bate others) of none. I've been blessed.

So Evga, Asus, BFG blah blah have no accountability? Yet we all know be it graphics, soundcard, motherboard, CPU, anything like that all brake down. And please the odds that "oh I dont overclock anything it just stopped" you really believe that lmao? Now add those thousands if not millions to the source..then we start to see a different picture.
Take a stroll up about 5 threads and read the "overheating and other issues" thread for the 280, then come back.
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote