Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-21-06, 05:47 PM   #13
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Geforce Go 7950 GTX stability problems

Based on that parameter, it seems like the your system needs special GPU tuning to function properly. Unfortunately, that isn't possible in Linux for mobile GPUs right now.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-06, 06:16 PM   #14
Naked

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
Based on that parameter, it seems like the your system needs special GPU tuning to function properly. Unfortunately, that isn't possible in Linux for mobile GPUs right now.
For once, I'm glad to say this: bull

I now have a perfectly working nvidia driver in my linux by passing a parameter to the nvidia kernel module:

Quote:
modprobe nvidia NVreg_RegistryDwords="PerfLevelSrc=0x2222"
I'm not sure if this brings more problems later on or if you can even recommend people to try this, but it certainly fixed my case. 2D works fine, 3D works fine, performance is sweet.

Thank you
Naked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-06, 06:22 PM   #15
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

I'm surprised & pleased that it worked for you.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-07, 09:58 AM   #16
MoOm

Unhappy Re: Geforce Go 7950 GTX stability problems

I had exactly the same problem with my GeForce Go 7900. The tricks given by Naked fixed it with previous drivers, but it doesn't seem to work anymore with the latest version of the drivers.
Is there any chance that NVidia fixes this bug in the next release?
MoOm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-07, 04:27 AM   #17
Naked

Which driver version is this? I am still using 9746.
Naked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-07, 08:29 PM   #18
Supp

Thumbs up Re: Geforce Go 7950 GTX stability problems

Hi all,
same fix is usable for Go 7300 (Asus A6T(c) in my case).
Without it it was hanging randomly, mainly when playing video, with fix it works like a charm (3 days uptime so far, previous record was +- 5 hours).

So good work, Naked and thanks!

BTW...Zander, netllama, Nvidia in general...it's really non-trivial to figure THIS out, I really hope it'll be fixed in next release (please, please...)
Supp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 05:30 PM   #19
Glucklich

Hi.
I have a GeForce Go 7900 GS on a Toshiba laptop. I installed Ubuntu in April this year. It seemed fine, some random freezes but nothing I couldn't live with. Later some display anomalies appeared but went away after a while. But last month, I had to uninstall the nVidia drivers because it was getting worse. Last week, even with the drivers uninstalled, the computer froze completely almost instantly after the login. Thanks to the Ubuntu Forums I was able to rule out any RAM, CPU and respective ventilation problems. After formatting with XP (and it working correctly), I tried the Live CD but it had the same problems as the original one. Out of the blue, without any significant change, I was able to install Ubuntu successfully again. But every time I install any nVidia driver (being from the nVidia site or from the Ubuntu repositories), the same BIOS messed up screen, GRUB Loader with strange characters and almost instant complete freeze show up again, like the original problem.
Now, I have an up to date BIOS and Kernel version and I found this topic that seems to address a solution to the Series of my graphic card (as well to the mobile factor). From what I understood, that solution was never applied in a global scale so it's probable that today's up-to-date drivers don't solve this particular issue. But it raises a couple of questions to me, if someone has the time to enlighten me in this issue I would be very grateful.
How do I put in practise that solution? (Please be patient and as descriptive as possible since I'm a bit clueless about this.)
Is there any risk in using that solution since it is from 2006 and there have been changes in the nVidia drivers and in the Linux kernels?
Thanks in advance.
Glucklich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-09, 04:56 AM   #20
Markix

Exclamation Re: Geforce Go 7950 GTX stability problems

Hi,

The bug I'm experiencing is an intermittent screen flicker. It mostly takes the form of a black band right across the screen. The band varies in both height and position, ranging from a thin black horizontal band to what sometimes looks like the whole screen going black.

What seems consistent is that it:
1) occurs more often when actively browsing/scrolling/moving windows
2) the duration seems about the same - maybe a tenth of a second
3) the defect is always a black area
4) it is always right across the screen but not necessarily so vertically speaking

Sometimes by logging out and back in again I can buy some time before it starts again but I don't know for sure how much that really helps. Leaving the screen idle seems to help (I think). It occurs maybe 30 times in an hour of active computer usage.
Once it begins it can flicker as little as around 10 seconds apart or be fine for minutes. It certainly is very annoying.

I'm using Linux Mint 6 "Felicia" a distro based on Ubuntu 8 "Intrepid Ibex" in turn based on Debian 5 "Lenny/Sid" with your directly supplied 180.29 driver for my GeForce Go 7950 GTX running on a Dell XPS M1710 laptop.

Please find attached an gzipped nvidia bug report which I ran just after a flicker had occured (and on startx -- -logverbose 6) and also a mock screenshot I made up trying to give a visual impression. I had to shrink the screenshot to upload. I'll try emailing this in too if that's okay.

Thanks for driver support on open source OS's! Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mock-screenshot-of-bug-smaller.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	36002  
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (41.0 KB, 98 views)
Markix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-09, 05:47 AM   #21
davelaser

Markix:

Totally unhelpful reply I know, but where did you get that desktop background?

Sam
davelaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-09, 02:25 PM   #22
Markix

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelaser View Post
Markix:

Totally unhelpful reply I know, but where did you get that desktop background?

Sam
Google images. Just a tongue-in-cheek reference to the X Factor singing competition on TV but I'm using it as a reference to the X Window system
Markix is offline   Reply With Quote