Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-07-09, 08:57 PM   #1
BMoore

Default TV out too big 8400 GS, 8800 GTS

I'm trying to set up a computer with a TV over S-video as the display. It works fine in text or framebuffer mode, or in X with the vesa driver, but with the nvidia driver everything is drawn too big, enough to clip off the gnome toolbar. I've tried an 8400 GS and an 8800 GTS 640MB for the graphics card and two TVs (neither has any sort of overscan control). The TVOverScan setting has no effect, and nvidia-settings has no relevant options for the display. I've attached the Xorg.conf files, nvidia-bug-report outputs, and Xorg logs.

It's very odd it works fine while booting, and just the nvidia driver sets the size wrong.
Attached Files
File Type: bz2 overscan-bug-report.tar.bz2 (39.9 KB, 107 views)
BMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-09, 01:49 AM   #2
Joker_-_

Default Re: TV out too big 8400 GS, 8800 GTS

I read lots and lots of posts regarding this problem. In about 3 days I havent found a single solution. When can we expect a fix / workaround ?

The only way I found of doing something nearly acceptable is to ajust theme size in mythfrontend. I still can't see the menu or the task bar in XFCE but at least the screen fits in mythfrontend....

Guys, lots of people use NV cards in their media center and media centers become more and more popular. Linux offers a great application and NVidia is giving the community a very appreciated help by provinding great drivers. Please keep the good work going and if possible find us a fix for that once and for all.
Joker_-_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-09, 12:21 PM   #3
Spaz007

I been running Vista and now Windows 7 on my TV for a few years now as a media center. I been wanting to move to Linux for some time now but since installing Linux I also haven't found a great way to resize the screen like in Windows. This is really the only thing keeping me from going completely Linux in my house. Funny enough I had this same issue before but in Windows Vista. It took Nvidia six months after Vista came out to put the resize panel back in their drivers. For that six months I moved back to XP. If it took six months for Vista... How long with it take for Linux? 12 to 24 months...
Spaz007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-09, 12:27 AM   #4
jdratlif

Guess I won't bother making my own report. I have the same problem as you. 8400 GS bigger than the screen under Linux.

Guess I'll keep looking for the perfect rectangle to confine my display into.
jdratlif is offline   Reply With Quote