Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-21-09, 11:26 AM   #1
The_Rebel

Default Kernel Mode Setting?

Do the official nvidia drivers support KMS?
The_Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-09, 11:53 AM   #2
Fackamato
User

Default Re: Kernel Mode Setting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rebel View Post
Do the official nvidia drivers support KMS?
No.
Fackamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-09, 07:38 AM   #3
hohlraum

Can we get an official developer response as when we can expect KMS support from nvidia? KMS is now in the official kernel and more and more distributions are going to start utilizing over the next several months.
hohlraum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-09, 09:24 AM   #4
nullack

They dont comment on new features not released
nullack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-09, 01:50 PM   #5
davelaser

Besides I think there are more important things the nvidia devs could be working on right now than a pretty boot menu (same goes for the open source devs actually).

I think it's disgraceful that even now it's STILL impossible on any driver with any configuration to get proper synced video while compositing is turned on. It's doing my head in having to switch back to metacity every time I want to watch a video

Sam
davelaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-09, 01:59 PM   #6
hl_

VSync works fine with Xv and compositing for me. Just make sure to enable VSync in compiz.
(And by the way, ATI GPUs with the "radeon" driver are also tearing-free)
hl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-09, 02:20 PM   #7
BassKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelaser View Post
Besides I think there are more important things the nvidia devs could be working on right now than a pretty boot menu (same goes for the open source devs actually).

I think it's disgraceful that even now it's STILL impossible on any driver with any configuration to get proper synced video while compositing is turned on. It's doing my head in having to switch back to metacity every time I want to watch a video

Sam
Kernel mode-setting is much more than simply having a pretty boot menu, it allows (among other things) VT switching and user switching without having the mode-setting passed between the Xorg driver and the console driver (that tends to be buggy).

For more info about this, read http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_2_6_2...a6479aa99b65f6
BassKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-09, 02:44 PM   #8
davelaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl_ View Post
VSync works fine with Xv and compositing for me. Just make sure to enable VSync in compiz.
(And by the way, ATI GPUs with the "radeon" driver are also tearing-free)
No they aren't, I talked to the developers on the #radeon channel. They outlined the current architecture and it will be a long time before they implement the changes necessary to make xvideo sync whilst compiz is enabled.

And xvideo is never synced with the nvidia drivers when compiz is enabled, even when compiz vsync is on. This is evident from the nvidia release notes which actually state the fact, and from experience as well.

Sam
davelaser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-09, 03:31 PM   #9
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassKnight View Post
Kernel mode-setting is much more than simply having a pretty boot menu, it allows (among other things) VT switching and user switching without having the mode-setting passed between the Xorg driver and the console driver (that tends to be buggy).
This is only an issue for the open source drivers. The nvidia driver already performs console restoration in the kernel. Try sending SIGKILL to your X server and notice that the console text mode is restored. Sure, you won't be able to switch VTs at that point, but that's because of Linux's poor VT lock/unlock mechanism and has nothing to do with the graphics driver.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-09, 05:10 PM   #10
dk75

Quote:

No need to disable Compiz... here's Nautilus script:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
gksudo xhost +; sudo xinit -e `/usr/bin/mplayer -vc ffh264vdpau -vo vdpau -softvol -ass -vf-clr -fs -fontconfig -overlapsub -subfont-autoscale 1 -embeddedfonts -ffactor 10 "$1"` -- :1 -config "/etc/X11/xorg.conf-vdpau" -depth 24 -ac -nolisten tcp -a 2 &
DISPLAY=:1 /usr/bin/nvidia-settings --config=/home/user/.nvidia-settings-rc-vdpau --ctrl-display=:1 --load-config-only
make "/etc/X11/xorg.conf-vdpau" by "cp" your actual "xorg.conf" and add at the end:
Code:
Section "Extensions"
	Option		"Composite"	"Disable"
EndSection
Also
Code:
cp $HOME/.nvidia-settings-rc $HOME/.nvidia-settings-rc-vdpau
and change string "0/" to "1/" in every line inside ".nvidia-settings-rc-vdpau".
Of course you must have "VBlank" set for XVideo and OpenGL.
  • Xorg/XServer 7.6+12/1.11.4
  • GNOME 3.2.2
dk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-09, 02:35 AM   #11
artem

KMS will not work until NVIDIA drivers are embedded into the kernel - which is IMO impossible.

We have to rely on nouveau drivers or abandon this idea altogether.
artem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-09, 03:03 AM   #12
hl_

Quote:
No they aren't, I talked to the developers on the #radeon channel. They outlined the current architecture and it will be a long time before they implement the changes necessary to make xvideo sync whilst compiz is enabled.
So the new "tearing avoidance" code for textured video does not work when compiz is running? My impression was that it doesn't matter whether compositing is used or not.

Quote:
And xvideo is never synced with the nvidia drivers when compiz is enabled, even when compiz vsync is on. This is evident from the nvidia release notes which actually state the fact, and from experience as well.
Looks like you're right, this is apparent when taking screenshots of the video. Still, the tearing is hardly visible in most cases -- it's much worse with e.g. Intel hardware and drivers. I wonder why.
hl_ is offline   Reply With Quote