Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-14-03, 11:34 PM   #1
elektronisch

Default Hmm...

Where has andy macham been? Last seen 1 month ago .. why are the linux drivers falling so behind the windows det's?

And here is something I notice that is completely off topic. Why is it that microsoft isnt using the directx 9 intructions in there compiled that the nvidia implimented in there FX series? Why is it that ATI sucks at OpenGL compared to directx games? Why is it that idsoftware and nvidia are really good with opengl and both support linux more. And why is it that hl2 benches didnt use the latest det's? I think someone is using very bad practice.. MS.. valve and ATI.. as id and nvidia just do there thing. On top of that the 3 suck at coding.. ms valve and ati IMO. Just a some stuff I was thinking about. I would like some feedback.
elektronisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-03, 03:16 PM   #2
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

Quite interesting thoughts.. my two cents,

1. valve has a history with problems in the Half-Life engine, so yeah you could doubt them a bit, but after seeing what they've managed to do with the physics side of HL2 I'm willing to wait and see irregardless of performance. They very well might have decided to avoid new dets for compatibility rather than forcing use of newer, or it could have been they didn't like performance :P

2. yeah nVidia kicks ass.. and yeah it worries me that Andy hasn't been around. One of the best things going for nVidia's support of linux was more than code.. it was support, and I hope to see that continued. Seeing the driver versions change doesn't worry me tho, note that the changes being made to the windows drivers (changelog) aren't huge, and really not too big a deal for the linux end to follow so far.

3. ID engines run openGL better than others because of code. Carmack's theory of design is as simple as it gets, but fast because of it. In contrast, M$ never coded something simple in their lives with all the manpower they have, and of course its slow because of it. Weird eh?
LordMorgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-03, 03:39 PM   #3
elektronisch

Agreed but the FX's need to be fixed up in the next linux driver release.. that is hopefully sometime soon.
Old 09-16-03, 10:38 AM   #4
elektronisch

bump
Old 09-17-03, 07:39 AM   #5
elektronisch

bump again