Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-05-08, 04:58 PM   #1
mokrates

Unhappy Problem with Widescreen Monitor and 4:3 resolutions

Hi,

I have the following configuration:
I use a GeForce 5200 FX with a Samsung SyncMaster 226BW, which is a widescreen monitor with a native resolution of 1680x1050. The gfx-card and the monitor are connected via analog-vga, because my card doesn't have an dvi connector.

As you all know, some software, mainly games, change the resolution of the screen, and I like to play fullscreen. BUT the black bars, which have to appear for a 4:3 resolution to be not stretched don't appear. I can do whatever I want. I think the monitor resizes automatically.

So. Is this Problem known? Is there a solution besides buying a new card?

Thank you for your time,

mokrates
mokrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-08, 06:46 PM   #2
Tub

Default Re: Problem with Widescreen Monitor and 4:3 resolutions

run nvidia-settings.

select your GPU / Monitor and set the GPU Scaling Method to "Centered" or "Aspect Ratio Scaled".

if those changes disappear after restarting your X server (i.e. rebooting), then make sure
Code:
nvidia-settings --load-config-only
is run after starting X.

edit: hmm.. wait. I think that applies to DVI connections only. With VGA connectors, you'll probably need to change the setting on your monitor, since VGA connectors don't transmit scaling information. If the monitor doesn't support that, bad luck.
Tub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-08, 06:58 PM   #3
oldsoundguy

to get wide screen you have to have dvi-i or hdmi AFAIK.

I bought a dual DVI-I card (Quadro4 980 XGL .. no PCIe so that was the best dual DVI-I I could find for AGP) so I could run both my cinema display monitor and my HDTV. Have to dumb down the resolution to view on the HDTV as it is not a 1080i, but they both work.
oldsoundguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-08, 12:52 AM   #4
mokrates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tub
run nvidia-settings.

select your GPU / Monitor and set the GPU Scaling Method to "Centered" or "Aspect Ratio Scaled".
I think too, that this applies only to DVI connected devices. I don't have that setting in nvidia-settings, and when I tried to set FlatpanelProperties in xorg.conf, it didn't do anything.

But it's understandable. My Screen ist connected via VGA so it gets discovered as a "CRT". A "DFP" ("Digital Flat Panel") is connected via DVI.

pity.

Thanx
mokrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-08, 02:58 AM   #5
chni

Hi,

I have the same problem. But I can't believe that there isn't any solution for this with VGA cards. Because producing an other resolution (i.e. producing black stripes left and right) has nothing to do with the type of connection to the monitor device. I am angry about this because I bought a new external monitor for my laptop (sadly widescreen, because other devices are not available any more) and can't play most of my computer games any more without distortion because they don't deal with widescreen resolutions.

I hope for a solution...

Greetings
Chris
chni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-08, 04:31 AM   #6
pe1chl

Quote:
Originally Posted by chni View Post
Because producing an other resolution (i.e. producing black stripes left and right) has nothing to do with the type of connection to the monitor device.
There are two approaches to solving this problem:

1. the card outputs a 16:9 aspect ratio. E.g. a resolution of 1280x720. the monitor will display it fullscreen and the game, being 4:3, uses only the center part of this area leaving black bars on the side. Problem of the game when it cannot do this.

2. the card outputs a 4:3 aspect ratio. E.g. a resolution of 1024x768 or 800x600. The game uses the full screen area and your monitor is responsible for fitting this on the screen. Problem of the monitor when it cannot do this.

With DVI there are scaling options in the signal that can direct the monitor to do the correct scaling. With VGA there aren't, except for the sync polarity. So the connection of the monitor device really affects this, even when you don't believe it.
The scaling should be configurable in the monitor when you want complete control, like in a TV set.
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-08, 07:54 AM   #7
storkus

Unhappy Re: Problem with Widescreen Monitor and 4:3 resolutions

I'm having the same issues, but only with one resolution on my notebook. It's an Acer
Aspire 5520 running a GeForce 7000M + nForce 610M integrated graphics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pe1chl View Post

1. the card outputs a 16:9 aspect ratio. E.g. a resolution of 1280x720. the monitor will display it fullscreen and the game, being 4:3, uses only the center part of this area leaving black bars on the side. Problem of the game when it cannot do this.
In my case, the panel is the laptop panel that has no external adjustments and is connected
by internal DVI. According to the EDID (via starting X with "--logverbose=6") the panel is
"dumb" and doesn't do scaling on its own, relying on the GPU to handle everything.

So here's what's weird: at 1024x768 and 800x600 the display scales just fine and squashes
the image to the 16x10 aspect ratio (native resolution is 1280x800). But at 640x480 the
vertical is NOT squashed so that, while the top is there, the bottom "falls off" the screen.
Horizontal remains fine at these standard resolutions. But trying to use, say, 640x400 or
800x500 (or whatever a 16x10 resolution is at 800 horiz.) results in a mangled display or no
display at all, so that doesn't work either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pe1chl View Post

With DVI there are scaling options in the signal that can direct the monitor to do the correct scaling. With VGA there aren't, except for the sync polarity. So the connection of the monitor device really affects this, even when you don't believe it.
The scaling should be configurable in the monitor when you want complete control, like in a TV set.
Unless that monitor is a dumb laptop monitor with no controls or built-in scaling, as I
mentioned. What do you do THEN?

BTW, I've tried "nvidia-settings" with all 3 scaling settings. "Stretch" yields the results I
mentioned above. "Centered" with n-s running apparently centers it in the wrong place or
something because I seemingly have no video at all. And "Aspect" results in a screen that's
badly mis-scanned (like an overscanned CRT image with parts of an image overlaying other
parts and the edges in the middle).

Oh, yes, and I'm running the latest stable driver with kernel 2.6.25.4. Other than this
problem everything works great and is rock-solid, which is why I think either the GPU
itself doesn't support scaling at that low resolution (but then why did it work in vista?) or
something is missing from the driver that appears in NVidia's windows drivers. Or, of course,
I'm missing some vital but obscure X config var!

Mike
storkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-08, 04:02 PM   #8
Tema

Exclamation Re: Problem with Widescreen Monitor and 4:3 resolutions

Hi, I have similar trouble.

Configuration
Card: 7600 GS PCI-e
Driver version:173.14.12
Monitor: ASUS VW222
System: debian 4 lenny, amd64
Kernel: 2.6.25-2-amd64
If i run games on 800*600, and use "Aspect ratio scaled" without "Force Full GPU Scalling" option -- the black bars, which have to appear, but some part of image is out of visible area.

If "Force Full GPU Scalling" option in turned on -- no bars have appear, image scaled, but its look like "Fit to width", and bottom part of image -- is invisible.

I try to set 4:3 in my monitor but this option is disabled. This is no problem of monitor.
When i run games with 800*600 resolution in Windows: image is really Aspect ratio scaled, and I can switch between 16:9 and 4:3 mode in my monitor`s menu.

This is driver bug?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nvidia_scale_00.png
Views:	382
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	32933  Click image for larger version

Name:	nvidia_scale_01.png
Views:	289
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	32934  
Tema is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-09, 09:23 AM   #9
Malla2

Hi,

I have some problems concerning this topic, too.

Configuration:

System: Arch Linux 2.6.28, 32 Bit
Display: Samsung SyncMaster 2253BW (DVI)
Videocard: Geforce 6800 Ultra PCIe
Driver: 180.29 and 185.13 (beta release)

If I want to play a game in 800x600 fullscreen mode, part of the image is cut off. no matter which options I choose (stretched, centered or aspect ratio scaled) in the nvidia-settings. I've figured out that it works without any problems with 640x480 and 1024x768. In these modes I get the black bars on the left and on the right side and the whole Image is displayed. But in 800x600, it doesn't work.

Can anyone help out?

best regards
Malla2
Malla2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-09, 04:36 PM   #10
Tema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malla2 View Post
Hi,

I have some problems concerning this topic, too.

Can anyone help out?

best regards
Malla2
Hi.
Try to set your refresh rate greater than 55 Hz with you DE configuration manager or add modeline to your xorg.conf
Old 03-28-09, 07:27 AM   #11
Malla2

It actually works, if I set the refresh rate to 72 or greater in 800x600. But what modeline do I have to add to the xorg.conf so that it uses this refresh rate automatically?

Thanks so far!

kind regards
Malla2
Malla2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-09, 01:40 AM   #12
Tema

you may use gtf utility to generate modeline.

something like that:
Code:
gtf 800 600 72
see man gtf for more details.