Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 7

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-26-09, 04:12 PM   #1
wolfgar

Default Windows 7 RC dated - April

(edit: Correction :: May,, sorry)

according to ZDnet, ArsTechnica and others, the Windows 7 RC has now been dated for public release in May. (I'm assuming late May)

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=2369

Quote:
... screen shot of the Win 7 RC download page. As Ars notes, the RC download period is set to last through June 2009 and the RC set to expire in June 2010. Ars also grabbed a shot of the expected hardware requirements for the Windows 7 RC:

The RC will be good until June 2010??

Am I reading this wrong? Is MS is offering effectively a free 1 year trial for windows 7 early adopters?

I keep reading reports of people using the beta (followup build 7057) for their day-2-day including gaming; and that they are quite happy.

Just buy a new HDD, and install. (swap BIOS boot order back and forth as desired)

So it expires in a year. Most of us will probably have a major system update by then anyway, and we'll go get the retail at that point.

Has someone in MS actually learned the value of reaching out to their critical customer base: The enthusiast home user base...

Has MS gotten a clue as to how to get Win7 adopted? Give us a few hits for free and get us hooked?
Will it the Ultimate edition?
Will it be 64-Bit?

Is anyone else tempted by this?
(assuming its correct)

I have always strenuously supported the right of every man to his own opinion, however different that opinion might be to mine. He who denies another this right makes a slave of himself to his present opinion, because he precludes himself the right of changing it. Thomas Paine (1737-1809), The Age of Reason, 1783
wolfgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-09, 04:26 PM   #2
thor1182
Spelling Expert?!?

Default Re: Windows 7 RC dated - April

waiting till they give it out to MSDN...

I have one of the newer leaked builds out there, but haven't felt safe using it over the beat msdn version.
-"Aqua 2": Water Cooled Intel i7 960, 12 GB DDR3 PC 12800, 3x Intel X-25-M 80 GB SSD RAID 0, SATA 1.5TB WD, EVGA GeForce GTX 470 Supper Clocked Water Cooled, ASUS P6X58D, Corsair 800D w/ Koolance cooling
thor1182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-09, 11:59 PM   #3
ASUSEN7900GTX

coool that would be great have the 7057 but no intalled yet

RC for a year then again it might be buggy or not time will tell
Asus P6t deluxe V2

"be to others as you want others to be against you"
some wiseass came up with it
ASUSEN7900GTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-09, 08:53 AM   #4
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Wonder what build it is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-09, 11:20 AM   #5
Bman212121

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgar View Post
(edit: Correction :: May,, sorry)

according to ZDnet, ArsTechnica and others, the Windows 7 RC has now been dated for public release in May. (I'm assuming late May)

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=2369

The RC will be good until June 2010??

Am I reading this wrong? Is MS is offering effectively a free 1 year trial for windows 7 early adopters?

I keep reading reports of people using the beta (followup build 7057) for their day-2-day including gaming; and that they are quite happy.

Just buy a new HDD, and install. (swap BIOS boot order back and forth as desired)

So it expires in a year. Most of us will probably have a major system update by then anyway, and we'll go get the retail at that point.

Has someone in MS actually learned the value of reaching out to their critical customer base: The enthusiast home user base...

Has MS gotten a clue as to how to get Win7 adopted? Give us a few hits for free and get us hooked?
Will it the Ultimate edition?
Will it be 64-Bit?

Is anyone else tempted by this?
(assuming its correct)
All release candidates are like that. They are timebombed for a certain date where after that time you can no longer use or install it.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-09, 11:25 AM   #6
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman212121 View Post
All release candidates are like that. They are timebombed for a certain date where after that time you can no longer use or install it.
Right, but I think he was praising MS for giving you a whole year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-09, 12:44 PM   #7
ASUSEN7900GTX

that is indeed unusual by MS
Asus P6t deluxe V2

"be to others as you want others to be against you"
some wiseass came up with it
ASUSEN7900GTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-09, 12:52 PM   #8
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor1182 View Post
waiting till they give it out to MSDN...

I have one of the newer leaked builds out there, but haven't felt safe using it over the beat msdn version.
Same here.

The only build I have is the MSDN one, I haven't tried any of the newer builds and now I am just back to using Vista Ultimate till 7 RC drops on MSDN's downloads.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-09, 04:41 PM   #9
wolfgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
Right, but I think he was praising MS for giving you a whole year.
Its was some praise, with a fair amount of surprise, and some healthy 'What's the catch?'.
That's a full year of letting people have a free version of their OS.

Are you not a bit tempted to install it; for free?

If nothing else to run it in parallel, just to see for yourself?
You can buy a 200GB HDD for $60.

I never made the switch to Vista. At that time, I had too much incompatible hardware, and had read too may negative reviews of the original Vista release. By Vista-SP1 time, Win7 was looking promising. No need to update twice.

Now, hardware-wise I am fully 64-bit ready and most my HW (hmmmm, need to check on my crazy gamer KB) is Vista supported; but have decided to wait for Win7.

Vista may not suck anymore, but it did originally, and too many people zoned out after that. It does not matter if was MS's issues or the OEM's and their bad drivers (if any drivers) that were responsible. The Vista rollout was a PR nightmare.

We early adopters panned Vista. MS Ignored us and tried to trivialize our reviews. And look at the results? Vista struggling for survival 2 years later; even with MS trying to force it upon us.

I am now coming to believe that this is the new viral marketing campaign MS will be using to try to win over the previous Vista complainers. 'Try it for yourself! You'll like it!'

If MS can get us nerds on board early and enthusiastically; they can quickly change the 'vista sucked' message into a 'Win7 Rules'.. IF they can get us to try it??
How to do that?? DUH! Give us free copies. (we love free)
We won't be able to resist.

Even if they give us a free year, they know we will likely buy it quickly after release, IF we like it.

Honestly, do you think we will have any real choice in the next year or so. MS is screaming that XP support is ending. You can't really get a new XP license. Now we have a carrot to go along with the stick..

In reality, this costs them $0.00 over 2 years and could be a massively successful advertising campaign.

MS may actually have learned the value of releasing a demo, especially if its a good product.

They desperately need an early win on this release, or the critical X-mas season is lost again.

I have always strenuously supported the right of every man to his own opinion, however different that opinion might be to mine. He who denies another this right makes a slave of himself to his present opinion, because he precludes himself the right of changing it. Thomas Paine (1737-1809), The Age of Reason, 1783
wolfgar is offline   Reply With Quote