Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-08-09, 12:04 PM   #1
bbear

Default How to query why X is failing to validate my modeline?

Hello,
I have been trying to fix overscan issues for weeks now, and I running out of ideas. I am going back to basics to try to understand what it is about my custom modeline that the177.82 driver isn't liking.

Does anyone know how to get X to report why it is failing to validate a modeline in my xorg.conf?

I am starting X with a verbosity of 20 and it gives me lots of details on how it is validating the base modes which my GPU (6150) supports, but tells me nothing about my custom modeline. All it reports is:

(II) NVIDIA(0): Assigned Display Device: TV-0
(II) NVIDIA(0): Requested modes:
(II) NVIDIA(0): "1920x1080_30"
(WW) NVIDIA(0): No valid modes for "1920x1080_30"; removing.
(WW) NVIDIA(0):
(WW) NVIDIA(0): Unable to validate any modes; falling back to the default mode
(WW) NVIDIA(0): "nvidia-auto-select".

I have attached my xorg.conf. If anyone can spot anything wrong, please let me know. I have researched this for weeks and are running out of ideas.

thanks in advance for your help
Attached Files
File Type: zip xorg_unable_to_validate.zip (1,000 Bytes, 78 views)
bbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-09, 12:22 PM   #2
bbear

Default Re: How to query why X is failing to validate my modeline?

Sorry, I forgot to attach the bug report file. If there are any other reports which would be helpful please ask. thanks for your help.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (29.8 KB, 72 views)
Old 02-08-09, 11:21 PM   #3
bbear

Hello,
can someone please confirm if the following statement is still true when using the 177.82 driver ..

This is from a discussion in January 2007 ..

Quote:
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Custom modelines are not supported with TV-Out.
If this is still true then it is no wonder my custom modeline is being rejected - I am using TV-OUT !

Then I need to find a different way of fixing the overscan (hopefully there is one). Also, another thing I am not sure about ..

Can a Plasma HDTV communicate EDID over Component-Out? My guess is that it cannot, but can anyone confirm this?

<EDIT> I read somewhere on the Ubuntu forums about creating a .bin file for a custom EDID an then getting X to load the EDID from this file, instead of from the monitor. Since I don't think my TV can provide the EDID over Component-Out, I am wondering is this 'fake' EDID approach might work even though I am using TV-Out. Does any one have any idea if this would work?

If there is a chance this would work then I could try using Powerstrip on my Windows laptop to write out the .bin (I can read the EDID over HDMI from my TV, the problem is that my Linux box only has Component-Out)

thanks,

Last edited by bbear; 02-08-09 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Additional, related question/idea
Old 02-09-09, 02:29 PM   #4
bbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbear View Post
If there is a chance this would work then I could try using Powerstrip on my Windows laptop to write out the .bin (I can read the EDID over HDMI from my TV, the problem is that my Linux box only has Component-Out)
I wanted to clarify something ..

my motherboard actually does have DVI output, however I only have Component input available at my HDTV as the HDMI is already being used.

I am currently looking at buying a DVI-to-Component cable, setting up my xorg.conf to use the DVI output, then somehow get the driver to read a EDID (.bin file?). I think that I have no choice but to do it this way becuse I am pretty sure the EDID from my HDTV can't be communicated down a DVI-to-component cable

If anyone has any ideas/opinions please let me know. It would be great to get some sort of feedback on this so I don't end up going down completely the wrong track.
Old 03-28-09, 02:49 PM   #5
El1iP3S01D
Saleen s7 TT Rocks:-0

C if dis works? Go to http://www.analogbit.com and look for Edid and nviidia thread, i hope this helps/