Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-28-09, 01:54 PM   #1
xwang

Default How to set max performance during gaming session with a 9650m gt?

Hi,
I've a laptop with a 9650m gt 1gb and I'm using the 177.82 driver shipped with my distro (kubuntu 8.10 amd64).
I've seen that the adaptive clocking of the power mizer is activated by default and this is ok for general usage, but when I run games I would like to be able to set the gpu and vram speed at the maximum level disabling the adaptive clocking. How can I do that and how can I renable it at the end of the game?
Thank you,
Xwang
xwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-09, 03:05 PM   #2
Dragoran

Default Re: How to set max performance during gaming session with a 9650m gt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwang View Post
Hi,
I've a laptop with a 9650m gt 1gb and I'm using the 177.82 driver shipped with my distro (kubuntu 8.10 amd64).
I've seen that the adaptive clocking of the power mizer is activated by default and this is ok for general usage, but when I run games I would like to be able to set the gpu and vram speed at the maximum level disabling the adaptive clocking. How can I do that and how can I renable it at the end of the game?
Thank you,
Xwang
Adaptive clocking means that it does exactly what you want, run full speed when a game is running and user lower clock if nothing is demanding the gpu power (ie. when not having a game or similar opengl app running).
Dragoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-09, 03:22 PM   #3
xwang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoran View Post
Adaptive clocking means that it does exactly what you want, run full speed when a game is running and user lower clock if nothing is demanding the gpu power (ie. when not having a game or similar opengl app running).
The problem is that running a game it slow down the gpu instead of keeping the maximum speed. I don't know if the fact that the game runs under wine is a problem, but, generally speaking, I would like to have the ability to disable powermizer and renable it during the session as happens, if I'm not wrong, with windows driver. Is it possible?
Xwang
Old 03-28-09, 03:24 PM   #4
ledoc

IIRC, the nvidia guys said that (for obvious reasons) adaptive clocking can't be disabled on mobile GPUs.
And, as Dragoran says, if it goes into the highest level when there is demand, you don't have to, anyway.
ledoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-09, 03:32 PM   #5
xwang

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledoc View Post
IIRC, the nvidia guys said that (for obvious reasons) adaptive clocking can't be disabled on mobile GPUs.
And, as Dragoran says, if it goes into the highest level when there is demand, you don't have to, anyway.
It goes to the upper level but with a delay of some seconds meanwhile the game frames rate decreases, then if for some reason the game requires less GPU power, the driver slow down again and so frames rate are not constant because GPU and memory frequencies vary between maximum and minimum values.
Xwang