Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-01-09, 04:25 PM   #1
Mr Six

Default High Gain Antennas vs Range Extender

Ok so i have a little problem with the strength of my wireless signal and i would like to know which of these 2 solutions you guys think is the best for my situation before i invest $$$ in either one of those.

Basically my main desktop is located upstairs with a WRTG54S router plugged in it. My second PC is downstairs at about maybe 50 feet from the router. Signal is great on my laptop in my bedroom upstairs (1 room away from the router) but **** on the PC downstairs. I'm getting a very weak signal most of the time. It's enough to browse the web and even some minor downloading but i'd like it to be better.

Did minor researches on High Gain Antennas vs Range Extender but i keep reading conflicting reports. Some people say that the RE cut speed by half while others say the opposite. Same goes for HGA.

Any advice ?
Mr Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-09, 04:57 PM   #2
Runningman

Default Re: High Gain Antennas vs Range Extender

What type of walls do you have?
Runningman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-09, 05:32 PM   #3
Mr Six

Errmmm.....they are normal walls i guess lol. Nothing too fancy about them (not soundproof . made of cement ect).

I would tell you the exact materal but i'm absolutely zero when it comes to construction materials so...
Old 04-01-09, 05:36 PM   #4
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

My recommendation, use the plug-in solutions. Power over Ethernet or whatever it's called.

I have the netgear solution and I get solid connectivity, no need to waste money on range boosters or anything like that. Get a plug-in solution and a cheaper wireless outlet on the other side and voila, you have a much higher bandwidth solution.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-09, 05:50 PM   #5
Mr Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
My recommendation, use the plug-in solutions. Power over Ethernet or whatever it's called.

I have the netgear solution and I get solid connectivity, no need to waste money on range boosters or anything like that. Get a plug-in solution and a cheaper wireless outlet on the other side and voila, you have a much higher bandwidth solution.
]
That sound quite interesting .

Did a quick search on Power Over Ethernet but can you explain me in simple words how does does it work because i didn't fully understand what i have read.
Old 04-01-09, 06:14 PM   #6
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Six View Post
]
That sound quite interesting .

Did a quick search on Power Over Ethernet but can you explain me in simple words how does does it work because i didn't fully understand what i have read.
Basically, it is data transfered over power lines.

I have 2 adapters. One is in my computer room/office and my router connects to it. My cable modem runs into my router (wireless).

The other adapter is in my living room. I simply had to plug the 2 adapters in and as soon as the primary (one in the office) was plugged into the router, I had singal. Nothing else needed.

The 2nd adapter, I connected to another router and have plugged in my ps3, htpc and xbox. All working fine and I also get pretty good coverage for my iPhone (wifi) when at home.

To give you an example, on the Xbox360 signal strength test, I was previously getting about 40% strength when going over wifi. I tried all kinds of tricks and bought a better wireless router. No dice.

With the Netgear adapters, I am now getting full strength, constant. If I remember to, I'll post a speedtest when I get home tonight to demonstrate the performance of my htpc vice my regular pc.
Old 04-02-09, 12:42 AM   #7
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Connection for my htpc