Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-02-09, 10:21 PM   #1
Bigbuck

Send a message via MSN to Bigbuck
Default Analog vs USB Headset

I should be receiving the Plantronics Audio 750 DSP Headset tomorrow as a replacement for my 550 DSP which I beat up too much and broke it. On the 750 it has the standard analog plugs and also comes with a USB converter. My question is there any difference in performance?
I will be using this headset on both my laptop and desktop. My laptop does not have a sound card but does have both the analog and USB connections. My desktop on the other hand has a cheap Asus Soundmax card that came with my motherboard but has never been used since my old headset was USB. Is there really any difference?
Bigbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-09, 02:40 AM   #2
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget
Default Re: Analog vs USB Headset

no difference for me, but i am not picky.
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-09, 09:10 AM   #3
a12ctic

Unless you're analog inputs sound terrible, I would use them. USB interfaces are usually really low quality and they add some CPU overhead.
Old 04-03-09, 09:28 AM   #4
mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by a12ctic View Post
Unless you're analog inputs sound terrible, I would use them. USB interfaces are usually really low quality and they add some CPU overhead.
+1
Old 04-03-09, 09:52 AM   #5
Bigbuck

Well I should be receiving it today, just waiting for the beautiful brown truck to drive up. Only have my laptop to test on as my motherboard for my desktop is in an RMA. I will try the analog ports first and then the USB to see if there is any difference.
Old 04-04-09, 01:38 AM   #6
Bman212121

What I've found in the past is that some USB devices won't have a mic boost. This can make it hard to adjust the microphone for voice programs. The quality of sound is definitely nothing to write home about either. I'd stick with the audio ports like A12tic said.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-09, 08:14 AM   #7
Bigbuck

I couldn't really tell a difference in CoD4. One thing about my headset thought is the adapter to go to USB is the DSP sound card thats supposed to make the sound better. On my old headset this was permanently built in.
Old 04-04-09, 08:44 AM   #8
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by a12ctic View Post
The CPU overhead is barely anything, thats a moot point especially with todays processors. Sound quality isn't bad either if you get a good headset since you can only get so good of sound quality from Voice Comm in games due to bandwidth issue.

Even Teamspeak and Ventrilo compress the audio to the point where the difference is hard to tell.

In the end just get a good quality headset and your good to go.

Old 04-04-09, 09:52 AM   #9
Bigbuck

The sound certainly doesn't sound worse than my old headset, and at some points it sounds better. The only problem I have is it seems that the sound is muffled so to speak. It almost sounds like everything is distant from me like there is not any difference between gun fire five feet from me or across the map, most of it sounds the same. I was thinking the muffled sound might have something to do with the enhancements. Right now I have Bass Management, Virtual Sound, and Loudness Equalization checked and Room Correction unchecked for the playback.
Old 04-04-09, 09:53 AM   #10
|MaguS|

I have all the settings on my Logitech Wireless ClearChat set to default and the sound works perfect. When playing L4D I can tell direction and distance with ease. I never been told I sound bad either with it.
Old 04-06-09, 07:25 AM   #11
Thunderbolt56
Gladiusdoctori

I've used both and since I also do some music stuff, I much prefer the analog cans. I use the Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Champion sound card and the fine tuning I can do with the front controls on the breakout box make a USB headset's limiting functionality worthless.

I have some squad mates that have/use USB sets and they like them just fine. In the end, get some decent ones and once you get them all set, you're fine.
Thunderbolt56 is offline   Reply With Quote