Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-05-09, 07:49 PM   #1
Rakeesh

Default Is selling your account practical?

Wow is kinda pissing me off lately and I really think I am going to quit playing this game. The question is whether or not it would be worth it to try to sell my account. I know a lot of people who are in this business can be scam artists so that's why I am debating it.

I have a feeling that it should be worth SOMETHING though which may make it worth the risk. My main (druid) has not only all of the best PVP gear in the game, but a handfull of rare mounts (including the proto drake,) and all of the best feral DPS and feral tanking gear in the game, not only that but nearly a full set of valorous resto AND boomkin gear. I am thinking if I do sell him I should do so before the next content patch comes out since all of that gear won't be as good anymore.

Thoughts?

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-09, 10:58 PM   #2
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Default Re: Is selling your account practical?

I just deleted all my characters after destroying all my items. Haven't looked back once. The account selling web sites out there seem legitimate enough and I know several people who've sold their accounts, but you always run a risk with that.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-09, 11:47 PM   #3
Rakeesh

Thinking of moving on to another game, I don't ever want to play another MMO again though if I leave wow. I just really hate the idea of spending hours every weekend on a toon and at any time they'll change the game in such a way to make it boring and make all of that time feel so worthless unless you roll another class and start over. It's stupid.

I think I might go back to TF2, haven't played that in a while.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Old 04-06-09, 12:32 AM   #4
kazna

I canceled my subscription on the 23rd of March. I created my account on Feb. 18th 2005, so I played it for over four years. What kept me addicted all these years has been the on-realm competitiveness. I played on Shadowsong-US which was a terrible launch server that always lagged behind even newer servers, but there was always a sense of accomplishment from competing for realm firsts even though they were only in the top 300 US kills.

Blizzard has totally killed this aspect of the game. Partly by making entry level raid instances easy from the get-go (Karazhan at BC launch vs. Naxx at wotlk launch), as well as relying on hard modes to keep the hardcore players happy. Ulduar has like, 12-14 hard modes which means the encounters are designed to be easy for the casuals to see, but the hardcore players get the benefit from better gear, so what? Seeing Yogg-Saron's death wont be anything special like Kil'jaeden.

Pre-Wrath: skill + dedication = ability to see new content!
Post Wrath: skill + dedication = only better gear!

Its simply not worth the time investment anymore. PvP is still fun and compeditive, but thats not what kept me playing for four years.
kazna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-09, 10:04 AM   #5
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK View Post
Thinking of moving on to another game, I don't ever want to play another MMO again though if I leave wow. I just really hate the idea of spending hours every weekend on a toon and at any time they'll change the game in such a way to make it boring and make all of that time feel so worthless unless you roll another class and start over. It's stupid.
Haha, I think the problem is on your end here man. Classic burnout symptoms! Maybe just take a few months off and try to clear your head. Playing WoW hardcore for a long time can make you hate everything about it.

Quote:
I think I might go back to TF2, haven't played that in a while.
Same, I've been sticking to some single player games that I've neglected for a while now (notably Fallout 3) but my next multiplayer game is gonna be an FPS for sure, and I feel like I never gave TF2 the time it deserved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazna
What kept me addicted all these years has been the on-realm competitiveness. I played on Shadowsong-US which was a terrible launch server that always lagged behind even newer servers, but there was always a sense of accomplishment from competing for realm firsts even though they were only in the top 300 US kills.

Blizzard has totally killed this aspect of the game. Partly by making entry level raid instances easy from the get-go (Karazhan at BC launch vs. Naxx at wotlk launch), as well as relying on hard modes to keep the hardcore players happy. Ulduar has like, 12-14 hard modes which means the encounters are designed to be easy for the casuals to see, but the hardcore players get the benefit from better gear, so what? Seeing Yogg-Saron's death wont be anything special like Kil'jaeden.

Pre-Wrath: skill + dedication = ability to see new content!
Post Wrath: skill + dedication = only better gear!
I don't agree at all, and frankly that's a very typical elitist point of view you've got there. And as for the "pre-wrath / post-wrath" comparison, it seems nostalgia has affected your perspective. When TBC launched the only raid content that was even remotely functional was T4, and many guilds had wiped out Karazhan within a few weeks. There is never "new content" to look forward to in WoW until content patches, it's always been that way. Gruul and Mag took a while for some servers because the encounters were horribly tuned and buggy, not because the content was more challenging. T5 was bugged all to hell with unkillable bosses. I'll grant you that T6 and Sunwell were absolutely terrific but that was nearly at the end of TBC's lifespan. It's not fair to compare entry-level raids in Wrath to endgame raids of TBC. Also, you're making it sound like you're getting hard-mode bosses *instead of* new content. The reality is you're getting the hard-mode *with* new content.

People tend to ***** most about this game when they're sick of playing it. Just cancel your sub and take a few weeks or a month. Or, if like me you've realized you've milked all the enjoyment from this game, quit it for good.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 04-06-09, 12:23 PM   #6
Rakeesh

I think the new content is probably a lot easier than the old. Believe it or not, my first clear of naxx 25 was while wearing a full set of season 4 feral PVP gear, with only a few level 80 peices that I acquired during that run. I don't think you would have pulled off a similar thing with karazhan back in the day.

Old 04-06-09, 12:55 PM   #7
thor1182
Spelling Expert?!?

no, they found out in the end that they undertuned Naxx by a fair margin.

Honestly I think it would be more worth while to just cancel the subscription for awhile and take a break over selling it. When you just cancel and move on, you have the chance to come back if you get the itch, other wise you are sol.

I'm getting kind of burnt out on it myself, so I hear ya.
-"Aqua 2": Water Cooled Intel i7 960, 12 GB DDR3 PC 12800, 3x Intel X-25-M 80 GB SSD RAID 0, SATA 1.5TB WD, EVGA GeForce GTX 470 Supper Clocked Water Cooled, ASUS P6X58D, Corsair 800D w/ Koolance cooling
thor1182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-09, 02:32 PM   #8
CaptnStubing

I sold a account a few years ago. I got $160 for it. It had two lvl 60s with good gear. I don't know what they are going for now.
CaptnStubing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-09, 02:42 PM   #9
kazna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09 View Post
I don't agree at all, and frankly that's a very typical elitist point of view you've got there
I'll give you that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09 View Post
And as for the "pre-wrath / post-wrath" comparison, it seems nostalgia has affected your perspective.
I was trying to get across the purpose of attunements and the scaling of difficulty. To see more content to had to complete the previous content, either through attunements or gear requirements. This is totally gone in wrath. Ulduar will be cleared by pugs just the same was Naxx is now, because the difficulty is in the hard modes, not the encounters themselves.

Clear Ulduar? Well thats not an accomplishment, everyone else has too. Grats, you spent a week working on a hard mode for gear thats 10 iLevels higher, but you end up seeing and experiencing the same thing everyone else does. The time investment doesn't justifiy the reward for the hardcore players anymore.

I don't have any desire to play another MMO anytime soon. Just finished Chrono Trigger and New Game+ for all the endings, and it was an awesome change. Next up is Chrono Cross (which I never finished on the PS1!)
kazna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-09, 03:52 PM   #10
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazna View Post
I'll give you that.
That's of course coming from me who would know because I had the same point of view, mind you. Not trying to act holier-than-thou.

Quote:
I was trying to get across the purpose of attunements and the scaling of difficulty. To see more content to had to complete the previous content, either through attunements or gear requirements. This is totally gone in wrath. Ulduar will be cleared by pugs just the same was Naxx is now, because the difficulty is in the hard modes, not the encounters themselves.
That's all true but frankly it's something I think is a good move from a standpoint of the developers - they spend a lot of time and effort making these raid dungeons and for a long time it was very difficult for an average player to experience this stuff. This way, they can provide accessible raid content while catering to the demands of more hardcore guilds for challenging content.
Quote:
Clear Ulduar? Well thats not an accomplishment, everyone else has too. Grats, you spent a week working on a hard mode for gear thats 10 iLevels higher, but you end up seeing and experiencing the same thing everyone else does. The time investment doesn't justifiy the reward for the hardcore players anymore.
Well I haven't read anything about the new boss fights so I don't really know how they're tuned. I was under the impression it's a reasonable step up in difficulty from Naxx, though Naxx is admittedly extremely easy. As far as time investment goes, I'd agree there is less (or no) sense of accomplishment with this new model for merely killing the bosses and seeing the next one. In fact that's probably one of the reasons I lost interest in the game. My 10-man group finally got 3D Sarth and even though it was tough, it wasn't the same as killing a hard end-raid boss.

Quote:
I don't have any desire to play another MMO anytime soon. Just finished Chrono Trigger and New Game+ for all the endings, and it was an awesome change. Next up is Chrono Cross (which I never finished on the PS1!)
Enjoy CC, it's a good game though the story gets a little ridiculous or confusing at times. I always liked the battle system they designed for it though, very unique. I'm going back and playing all the games I missed since WoW came out myself. The next MMO I'll try is likely going to be Old Republic, and if that sucks I guess I'll wait and see what Blizzard is working on.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 04-06-09, 07:58 PM   #11
Serrasalmus
Red Belly Piranha

Send a message via MSN to Serrasalmus

i sold my account with a few well geared 70's before wrath and got 400 for it.....
||EVGA x58 3Xsli||i7 920@4.3 turbo HT enabled 1.46v||6 Gig Corsair 1600 8-8-8-19 1T||EVGA GTX285 TRI-SLI Vanilla@720/1566/1350 ||500gb seagate 7200.11 32mb cache raid 0 ||1 TB WD Black||LG Super Multi Blue DVD ||Antec 1200||Corsair HX1000||custom built water setup, Koolance cpu-350ac Koolance rp-1000bk, Koolance mvr40 w/95mm plate, Koolance MB-EVX58, Feser one 3/8 UV orange tubing, black ice pro 2 rad, Feser extreme performance 240||HANNSpree 28" HF289H LCD||G15 gen 2 keyboard

EvilInside (sons rig)
||Asus Maximus Formula SE||Q9450@3.2 Stock Voltage||4 Gig ocz Reaper 8500 @1100 5-5-5-15 2T||Sapphire HD4870 512mb Crossfire 790/1100 Stock Cooler||2x 500gb Raid 0 seagate 7200.11 32mb cache 500gb wd carvier||Asus 20xdl dvd-rw + -||Antec 900||mushkin 650||19" extreme flat crt|| X-Fi Extreme Gamer||some cheap keyboard

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy crapola ...what a ride!"
Serrasalmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-09, 08:11 PM   #12
Absolution
AbsoUI

I sold my first wow account with a single level 60 player for $750 on ebay.

Its worth it if you have the gear.
Absolution is offline   Reply With Quote