Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-27-09, 02:28 PM   #49
Scendore

Default Re: Best flight sim I've ever flown - seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahheadlock View Post
how dumbed down are we talking?

like playable with a mouse / keyboard or x360 controller / keyboard?

is there any sort of story about it? or is it just a set of randomly generated missions or something like that?
Pretty dumb even by Console standards. It's a simulator not really a story telling game per say. I tend to call it replayability.

Sims by nature can be played over and over because outcomes are NEVER the same. You will have to use realworld tactics and the strength of your aircraft to survive.

I would go check out some reviews. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
Scendore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-09, 02:40 PM   #50
Scendore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL View Post
I'd probably play flight sims if they had arcade modes.

I absolutely loved flying in Battlefield 1942, and I'd love to play a game that was a little bit more realistic but any time I've tried a combat flight sim its incredibly time consuming and SOOOOOOOOOOO slow.

I can't remember which one I tried a few months ago but it was a WW2 sim from 6-7 years ago and it took like 5-10 minutes of flying to get to the general area where the battle was going to take place. Like, 10 minutes of nothing. Just an engine sound and sky.

That kind of thing just doesn't do it for me, especially if I'm going to die instantly when the enemies show up.
Patients’ young grasshopper... Don't always throw the baby out with the bath water. If your referring to IL2 then you've stumbled upon one if not the best WWII combat simulations to date.

The latest version is IL2 1946 and it can be had for a lousy 20 bucks. There is a whole other world out there. The online world of IL2 is pretty vast and guys are having a great time even as I write this. Some of my best online gaming experiences ever.

The key is taking some time to learn it (not that long) and in the process you will pick up on some really cool things about History and even some real world tactics.

As of late there is the whole MOD scene and IL2 has been drastically improved from the original.

So my point is take a little time and you just might be surprised just what you've been missing.
Old 03-28-09, 01:58 AM   #51
ahheadlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scendore View Post
Pretty dumb even by Console standards. It's a simulator not really a story telling game per say. I tend to call it replayability.

Sims by nature can be played over and over because outcomes are NEVER the same. You will have to use realworld tactics and the strength of your aircraft to survive.

I would go check out some reviews. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
yeah it does sound interesting, although i do prefer at least some form of storyline. Gives what you are doing a purpose. I've never really liked the whole randomly generated mission thing, it's fun a couple of times and then it's like "why am i doing this?". It's nice for the game to give you a little pat on the back, you know - medals, promotions, unlock new helicopters, some sort of reason for going into battle.
ahheadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-09, 05:38 AM   #52
The Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahheadlock View Post
yeah it does sound interesting, although i do prefer at least some form of storyline. Gives what you are doing a purpose. I've never really liked the whole randomly generated mission thing, it's fun a couple of times and then it's like "why am i doing this?". It's nice for the game to give you a little pat on the back, you know - medals, promotions, unlock new helicopters, some sort of reason for going into battle.
I understand where your coming from a story does give the missions some kind of purpose. After a singer play through though you know the story. Many times in story driven games I have enjoyed the story but I really only enjoyed it once. Then it's like (for me) who cares lets get on with the action (game). Twenty-five years in to gaming I enjoy the games with the least story driven gameplay for much longer periods of time. Two if three times and then I skip the cinematics, skip the intros only to bring them out to show to friends. I play allot of ARMA, WIC, online race and COH. I don't play much Bioshock or GOW or any story driven game over too many times really, you win you need to win and very few ways to get there. Already I've played through, with no doubt, each of my fav missions nine, ten times or more. Same with Arma, FSX, GTR2, LFS, rFactor, L4D and yeah even frontlines or CS:S and yes Black Shark can be made to be very easy and almost a bit arcade'ish, not as bad as HAWX though, .
Old 04-06-09, 12:53 PM   #53
JerseySeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
I had Gunship 2000, and LHX. Loved both of them. But they fail in comparison to....are you ready...

Spectrum Holobyte's Tornado! 600mph 100ft off the ground through canyons.

I don't want another helicopter sim, until an Apache game comes along. Too bad the Army DC'ed the Comanche.
Tornado! Now that's a blast from the past. Had one of the best avionics suite's in a sim. Good sense of speed down that low even for the (compared to now) primitive graphics.

I still remember letting otto drive while I was in the back seat setting up an attack. Hated the air-air stuff, though. That baby definitely wasn't made for dogfighting.

Wasn't it the Jane's series that had a couple of Apache Longbow sims out - this would be after Gunship 2000? I liked those even better than GS2K... Would be nice to see some of these old games out on GOG.
JerseySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-09, 11:32 AM   #54
Scendore

It's sad we won't be seeing more titles like that any time soon. We are in the days of having independants and smaller shops making hard core flight sims. I look forward to the addons for Black Shark and some up and coming work from Oleg's team.

Rise of Flight is starting to look really good right now and they reported it got a 40% boost going from dual core to quad. I'm really looking forward to a new WWI sim.