Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-09-09, 11:39 AM   #109
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Default Re: Ridd-ick: Assault on Dark Athena: Official Thread

"Installs" means unique machines. Just like Vista/XP, that is fine by me.
Old 04-09-09, 11:42 AM   #110
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Atari responded to Blue's News:

Quote:
“The protection on the PC version of The Chronicles of Rid****: Assault on Dark Athena is an activation system with online authentication required the first time you install the game on a machine. The activation code lets you install the game on up to 3 machines, with an unlimited number of installs on each assuming that you don’t change any major hardware in your PC or re-install your operating system.

If you reach the maximum number of installations you can contact the Atari hotline and if it’s a legitimate request you can get a new activation code.

We implement this protection in an effort to avoid early piracy.”
So, pretty normal now-a-days. I have heard that anytime you call for a new code it is quickly given to you. I have never had to request one, which is probably a statement in itself.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-09, 12:24 PM   #111
JerseySeven

I wish I knew about the install limit DRM before I ordered a copy earlier this week.

You all realize that changing your OS from XP or Vista to Windows 7 will cause the DRM to think you have a new machine, right? Even if you do upgrade on the same hardware.

Well, there goes another of your three lifetime installs up in smoke.

If there has to be DRM, it should be tied to the user, not to the hardware.
JerseySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-09, 12:44 PM   #112
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

wow people still are pathetic little complainers, pick up a phone and call.

you do it with windows xp and vista, it the same ****ing thing.

unless all you whinners pirated your windows as well
Old 04-09-09, 12:54 PM   #113
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

It's just hard for me to get worked up over DRM I can easily circumvent someday, if need be. I think it's much more important to support developers making games I like than it is to boycott DRM I can easily get around.

P.S. Awesome mech section on the outside of the ship in Athena... the "inside the mech" interface is perfect and in-tune to the world they created more than most (i.e. FEAR 2).

Also, the language and script of this game is hardcore and awesome.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Old 04-09-09, 01:51 PM   #114
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

I actually just had a problem with a brand new installation of Norton 2009 3 user license. Installed on 2 desktops then on my laptop. Once it was installed on my laptop I could not longer boot up. Couldnt get into safe mode... reinstalled windows and everything... later both my desktops said it was activated too many times and my key was entirely disable. I had to go through chat and threaten them just to get them to reset it. 45 mins in chat with some idiot that barely spoke english. Waste of my ****ing time.

When the application DRM is making it easier to just 'get a crack', the whole process is not working.

I'm done buying software with DRM in it. I won't support these a-holes then crack it, I'll just crack it straight away and save my $50 next time. Screw em, they aren't making it easier for me to just buy it. I've had it.

NarcissistZero - whats the point of buying it then circumventing? You are giving them your money then using the pirated way anyways... your 'support' is just confirmation that they can screw you with DRM and you don't care. Unless you care to send every game manufacturer a letter afterwards to tell them you are cracking their DRM its not like you are sending a message. They will continue until we have one non-revokable installation. Joy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-09, 01:56 PM   #115
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
I'm done buying software with DRM in it. I won't support these a-holes then crack it, I'll just crack it straight away and save my $50 next time. Screw em, they aren't making it easier for me to just buy it. I've had it.
Norton is a different case, because you need continual support from them and can't just crack it. Also, they are their own publisher I think.

In the case of Dak Athena you're much more punishing Starbreeze for something Atari has done, and are more saying "I don't want more games like this" than you are saying anything about the DRM, whether that is your intention or not.

There should be no need for cracked .exe for years from now, probably a decade or more, if ever. Think of all the games you can't just install from 1996... most of them really, they all require some kind of work-around. I don't view bypassing TAGES much differently from that.

Old 04-09-09, 01:57 PM   #116
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
wow people still are pathetic little complainers, pick up a phone and call.

you do it with windows xp and vista, it the same ****ing thing.

unless all you whinners pirated your windows as well
call who India? Pakistan? some shack in some third world country? **** it

Not every company is Microsoft. Besides I don't speak their language and they don't speak mine.

Quote:

Old 04-09-09, 02:00 PM   #117
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
Norton is a different case, because you need continual support from them and can't just crack it. Also, they are their own publisher I think.

In the case of Dak Athena you're much more punishing Starbreeze for something Atari has done, and are more saying "I don't want more games like this" than you are saying anything about the DRM, whether that is your intention or not.

There should be no need for cracked .exe for years from now, probably a decade or more, if ever. Think of all the games you can't just install from 1996... most of them really, they all require some kind of work-around. I don't view bypassing TAGES much differently from that.

Its gonna get cracked anyways, every game gets cracked, just drop the DRM protection already.

Quote:
Old 04-09-09, 02:01 PM   #118
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
Its gonna get cracked anyways, every game gets cracked, just drop the DRM protection already.
I agree.

Not the point, though.

Also, they're more worried about day-one piracy than stopping it altogether, and from what I have read online activation DOES stop day-one piracy to a large extent.

Old 04-10-09, 05:54 AM   #119
ATOJAR
Bish Bash Bosh

Send a message via MSN to ATOJAR

Dont get released here in the uk for the pc untill 24th of april!

Loved the first one too, cant wait for this.

Sorry for sounding like a dumb arse here but sould comebody pleaee help me with these few questions.

1) Is this a full new game or a expantion to the origional?

2) how come the OP's screenshots are from the origional rid**** game?

Intel i7 920 D0(Ultra-120 eXtreme) - ASUS P6T iX58 - 6GB Corsair DDR3 XMS3 1600MHz - Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer - Corsair 120GB Force 3 SSD(Win7/apps) - Seagate Barracuda SATA II 500GB(storage/games) - LG W2452T 24" LCD 1920x1200 Monitor - MSI GTX 760 2GB - Windows 7 Ultimate X64 - Corsair 750W TX PSU - Antec 900 Case - Logitech G500 Mouse - Logitech G15 v2 Keyboard.
ATOJAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-09, 07:33 AM   #120
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATOJAR View Post
1) Is this a full new game or a expantion to the origional?

2) how come the OP's screenshots are from the origional rid**** game?

It's a full second game, but from what I have heard it's a bit shorter... can't say as I haven't finished it yet.

My pics were from the "enhanced" Butcher Bay because that is what I played through first... it comes with the new game. I posted Athena shots later, as did others.