Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-31-09, 08:25 PM   #13
xbobmx
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 191
Default Re: Floating point exception with > 180.29

I have a very similar configuration with no issues. Do either of you have any special USE flags or kernel configurations?
xbobmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-09, 02:03 AM   #14
twisted_fall
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 12
Default Re: Floating point exception with > 180.29

Well, we most probably do But the same config works with 180.29
twisted_fall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-09, 12:10 PM   #15
xbobmx
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 191
Default Re: Floating point exception with > 180.29

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted_fall View Post
Well, we most probably do But the same config works with 180.29
So why does it work for me but not for you? I also have a machine running Gentoo ~x86 with the exact same gcc version and I've used both kernels 2.6.28 and 2.6.29 with the drivers that don't work for you.

Can you post your kernel .config file and /etc/make.conf, please?
xbobmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-09, 12:17 PM   #16
twisted_fall
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 12
Default Re: Floating point exception with > 180.29

Sure. Here they are:
Attached Files
File Type: txt config.txt (54.3 KB, 88 views)
File Type: txt emerge-info.txt (10.8 KB, 111 views)
File Type: txt make.conf.txt (2.9 KB, 92 views)
twisted_fall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-09, 08:32 AM   #17
kernelOfTruth
Gentoo Linux addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vienna, Austria; Germany; hello world :)
Posts: 202
Default Re: Floating point exception with > 180.29

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbobmx View Post
So why does it work for me but not for you? I also have a machine running Gentoo ~x86 with the exact same gcc version and I've used both kernels 2.6.28 and 2.6.29 with the drivers that don't work for you.

Can you post your kernel .config file and /etc/make.conf, please?
it's NOT a kernel-config problem

I've already asked other gentoo-users with a working kernel-config and made adjustments to my kernel-configuration, switched kernels away from zen to vanilla + reiser4 and 2 more other patches and still no change

it must have to do something with recent changes in toolchain or system parts in gentoo - OR nvidia (cause I have been using a hardened toolchain and compiler all the time and it worked without any problems) ...

to nvidia:
__________________
2.6.30-rc3-zen0+ w. compcache, reiser4 + ccreg40 (lzo-compression + checksumming)
gcc version 4.4.0-pre9999 built 20090425 (prerelease) rev. 146764 (Gentoo SVN)
gcc version 4.4.0 (Gentoo Hardened 4.4.0-r1, espf-0.2.1)
Ubuntu Jaunty/9.04 x86_64 Dell XPS M1330
kernelOfTruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-09, 06:10 PM   #18
kernelOfTruth
Gentoo Linux addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vienna, Austria; Germany; hello world :)
Posts: 202
Default Re: Floating point exception with > 180.29

status update:

*) updated gcc to gcc 4.4.0_pre (non-hardened) and re-emerged system -> still occurs
*) now re-emerging system with gcc 4.4.0_pre

summary:
*) it's kernel-independent (2.6.28, 2.6.29)
*) it's NOT dependent on pie / hardened toolchain (seems so)
*) it's NOT filesystem-dependent (reiser4 vs. ext4)
*) it's NOT x86_64 dependent (happens on i686 and x86_64 / intel64 / amd64)
*) it happens on core2 duo platform
*) it's NOT xorg-server 1.5.3-dependent (happens on 1.5.3 and 1.6.0)
*) it doesn't seem to be specific to 7xxx or 8xxx series (happens on 7600GT and 8600M GS)
*) it doesn't seem to be a problem with <4 GB (3 GB and 4 GB of RAM)
*) everything using acceleration (using libGL.so and libGLCore.so or linking to it) [gtk+; ksmserver / kde4 w. opengl acceleration, compositing] is affected (seems so)
*) it's NOT due to a permissions problem (also general protection / segmentation fault -> at least for me)


anomaly:
*) strangely 32bit-app googleearth is working -> probably due to compatibility apps driving that program (dunno how it works on gentoo)


uncertain / undecided:
*) pci msi
*) nopat / pat


please nvidia !

if you can tell me 100% sure that this will be fixed by going from 7600GT -> 9600GT I'll be glad to buy one (I need an upgrade anyways) but if there's so much uncertainty (including no response from you guys) I can't buy (there's no guarantee returning it afaik)
__________________
2.6.30-rc3-zen0+ w. compcache, reiser4 + ccreg40 (lzo-compression + checksumming)
gcc version 4.4.0-pre9999 built 20090425 (prerelease) rev. 146764 (Gentoo SVN)
gcc version 4.4.0 (Gentoo Hardened 4.4.0-r1, espf-0.2.1)
Ubuntu Jaunty/9.04 x86_64 Dell XPS M1330
kernelOfTruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-09, 12:13 AM   #19
twisted_fall
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 12
Default Re: Floating point exception with > 180.29

185.19 still bugs.

Quote:
*) everything using acceleration (using libGL.so and libGLCore.so or linking to it) [gtk+; ksmserver / kde4 w. opengl acceleration, compositing] is affected (seems so)
Actually it's not so in my case. glxgears runs just fine for example.
twisted_fall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-09, 05:35 PM   #20
sambo57u
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 52
Default Re: Floating point exception with > 180.29

This problem may be related to:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=131234

We are seeing nohup'ed runs crash as we are logging out of KDE
with effects enabled and no crash without the effects. Only the
applications which have their libraries stored outside of the system
library locations.
sambo57u is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-09, 07:57 PM   #21
jyavenard
MythTV developer
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 413
Default Re: Floating point exception with > 180.29

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedfall View Post
I'm running Gentoo on x86 and with recent NVIDIA driver versions I started to experience SIGFPE with some apps. For example:

$ mplayer
Floating point exception
$ amarok
Floating point exception
$ firefox
Floating point exception

This bug started in 180.35 and still present in 180.37 and 185.13. Downgrading to 180.29 resolves this problem. The culprit is libGL.so. Replacing it with version 180.29 also solves this problem.

Switching to xorg-x11 opengl implementation removes the problem too (as NVIDIA libGL.so is no longer used in this case)

I tried rebuilding all apps that have opengl use-flag, but that didn't help.

I can confirm that it is definitely the case.

Spent several hours tracking a segfault in mythmusic ..

Issue always ended up in libGL.so ...
And as there's no debugging symbol in there ; I can't say what's going on ...

drivers 180.44.
Tested on both Ubuntu 8.10 (2.6.27-11) and 9.04 (2.6.28-11).
32 bits
jyavenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-09, 04:12 PM   #22
kernelOfTruth
Gentoo Linux addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vienna, Austria; Germany; hello world :)
Posts: 202
Default Re: Floating point exception with > 180.29

confirmed !

@twisted_fall:

now I get the same crappy behavior like you described on my laptop with ubuntu 9.04

latest updates from today: 180.41 -> 180.44 made the difference:

default gtk-apps (still) seem to work but I get "Segmentation fault" at least for nvidia-settings, glxinfo, glxgears ...

I haven't restarted yet so after the restart it might not work anymore !

the system is:

Dell XPS M1330, amd64 version of Jaunty / Ubuntu 9.04
graphics chipset is: 8400 M GS


@nvidia:

now it's obvious that all of those problems are caused deep down at the heart of that blackbox - your driver

WE need an update NOW (or at least a status update WHY this is happening and that you got a fix for it in the pipeline)




thanks


update:

now THAT's strange: after a reboot everything seems to work fine again

so it was just a temporary problem due to mismatching libraries I guess ?

anyways:

I still need an update / fix for my 7600GT if it's NOT clear that an upgrade to a 9600GT would fix it - there's no way I'm gonna buy it so fast ...
__________________
2.6.30-rc3-zen0+ w. compcache, reiser4 + ccreg40 (lzo-compression + checksumming)
gcc version 4.4.0-pre9999 built 20090425 (prerelease) rev. 146764 (Gentoo SVN)
gcc version 4.4.0 (Gentoo Hardened 4.4.0-r1, espf-0.2.1)
Ubuntu Jaunty/9.04 x86_64 Dell XPS M1330
kernelOfTruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-09, 07:24 PM   #23
jyavenard
MythTV developer
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 413
Default Re: Floating point exception with > 180.29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
confirmed !

@twisted_fall:

now I get the same crappy behavior like you described on my laptop with ubuntu 9.04

latest updates from today: 180.41 -> 180.44 made the difference:

default gtk-apps (still) seem to work but I get "Segmentation fault" at least for nvidia-settings, glxinfo, glxgears ...

I haven't restarted yet so after the restart it might not work anymore !
There must be something wrong in your system quite frankly, other than the driver issue.

I do get a floating point exception in some cases in libGL.so ; but nowhere as frequently as what you're stating
glxgears never crashes for example.
Same for nvidia-settings.

if it did you would have everyone jumping back and forth.. This isn't the case

I get floating point exception when using libvisual in MythTV ; the bug is indeed in the nvidia libraries...

BTW, Segmentation Fault is not caused by a floating point exception ; and when it crashes it would give a different error.

You may see a genuine error in the nvidia libraries ; but based on your last post I think what you're experiencing is mainly a problem on your side ; a faulty RAM maybe?

That's a pity, because there is definitely an issue in the nvidia libraries, but you're clouding it with another problem which means nvidia people are likely going to discard it
jyavenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-09, 03:41 AM   #24
kernelOfTruth
Gentoo Linux addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vienna, Austria; Germany; hello world :)
Posts: 202
Default Re: Floating point exception with > 180.29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyavenard View Post
There must be something wrong in your system quite frankly, other than the driver issue.

I do get a floating point exception in some cases in libGL.so ; but nowhere as frequently as what you're stating
glxgears never crashes for example.
Same for nvidia-settings.

if it did you would have everyone jumping back and forth.. This isn't the case

I get floating point exception when using libvisual in MythTV ; the bug is indeed in the nvidia libraries...

BTW, Segmentation Fault is not caused by a floating point exception ; and when it crashes it would give a different error.

You may see a genuine error in the nvidia libraries ; but based on your last post I think what you're experiencing is mainly a problem on your side ; a faulty RAM maybe?

That's a pity, because there is definitely an issue in the nvidia libraries, but you're clouding it with another problem which means nvidia people are likely going to discard it
sorry for that noise - like I wrote at the end of that post:

Quote:
after a reboot everything seems to work fine again

so it was just a temporary problem due to mismatching libraries I guess ?
I think I'll keep on posting my problems in my other thread / move the stuff to there ...

thanks
__________________
2.6.30-rc3-zen0+ w. compcache, reiser4 + ccreg40 (lzo-compression + checksumming)
gcc version 4.4.0-pre9999 built 20090425 (prerelease) rev. 146764 (Gentoo SVN)
gcc version 4.4.0 (Gentoo Hardened 4.4.0-r1, espf-0.2.1)
Ubuntu Jaunty/9.04 x86_64 Dell XPS M1330
kernelOfTruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.