Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-14-09, 11:39 AM   #13
Badboy_12345

Default Re: Sony DADC (SecuROM) Joins PC Gaming Alliance

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
pirates are funny bunch, first spread fud about protection that was most effective (starforce) until it pretty much it died out only active in eastern europe.

Now that starfoce is done with, pirates turn their attention to securom, next devil to slain.

Funny thing is that SPTD (part of Daemon tools) is probably the reason that kills optical drives, learned that myself when i noticed that SPTD was messing with my Blu-ray drive and few more months and it would slowly kill it.

People on DuplexSecure (developer of SPTD) and Daemon Tools forums some of them did realize that SPTD slows down optical drives and slowly kills them.
Yeah damn fud about starforce!
*wakes up from the dreamworld*

Starforce was the worst copy protection ever invented.
Even the developers of starforce later said to the game developers to release patches that removes it from the games!

I guess you are the one that thinks Sony XCP protection was good and nothing wrong with.. it was just the pirates that complained
Badboy_12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-09, 11:49 AM   #14
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK View Post
I haven't been involved in the scene for quite some time, but last I recall most release groups were very anti peer to peer. They tend to like to get credit for their releases from their "peers" so to speak, but peer to peer networks take away that personal side of piracy that they take pride in, so they don't like it.
I just wrote torrents there as that is the usual methods... it wasn't the lack of a torrent release they were complaining about, it was the lack of any real working releases anywhere.

Matter of fact I just saw someone complain the other day that you have to wade through 100 non-working Mass Effect downloads to find the one that actually works.

In short: anti-piracy measures work a lot better than a lot of people given them credit for. They in no way stop piracy, but they can delay it significantly or make it especially annoying to do.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-09, 01:28 PM   #15
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by K007 View Post
Copy protection still fails tho. it doesn't stop pirating, and it doesn't slow it down either. They need to come up with something that truly stops it, i mean full dead stop. Atm all these protections don't do anything to prevent pirating.
in the end it does fail, but few examples

starforce: Chaos Theory took about a year for a working crack
securom: bioshock stopped the dayone pirating for 1-2 weeks
tages: new rid**** game, still protected.

in the long run off course it will fail, but the long run really doesn't matter, right around the release day is what matters.
Old 04-14-09, 01:35 PM   #16
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badboy_12345 View Post
Yeah damn fud about starforce!
*wakes up from the dreamworld*

Starforce was the worst copy protection ever invented.
Even the developers of starforce later said to the game developers to release patches that removes it from the games!

I guess you are the one that thinks Sony XCP protection was good and nothing wrong with.. it was just the pirates that complained

When Blizzard or Epic removes cd/dvd checks from their games, oh my that means cd/dvd checks are evil?

My point was that that it really wasn't starforce that caused most of them problems, but people trying to go around it. Starforce did cause problems when you mess around against it with bunch of anti-starforce tools/utilities. When bunch of kiddos try to bypass it, it does cause problems.
Old 04-14-09, 03:34 PM   #17
Badboy_12345

Quote:
When Blizzard or Epic removes cd/dvd checks from their games, oh my that means cd/dvd checks are evil?

My point was that that it really wasn't starforce that caused most of them problems, but people trying to go around it. Starforce did cause problems when you mess around against it with bunch of anti-starforce tools/utilities. When bunch of kiddos try to bypass it, it does cause problems.
you just must agree that any protection that installs itself like starforce did is not good in any way.

It functions like the sony rootkit
Badboy_12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-09, 05:37 PM   #18
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badboy_12345 View Post
you just must agree that any protection that installs itself like starforce did is not good in any way.

It functions like the sony rootkit
Again, rootkit in general is not ok, but they are a lot more common then you think.

few examples
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=27491

Sony rootkit wasn't good, but that doesn't mean that every rootkit is automatically evil, almost all Anti-Virus software vendors use rootkit to hide themself from certain virues/trojans. Alcohol and Daemon Tools also use rootkit in a bad way, it screws with your optical drives.
Old 04-14-09, 06:47 PM   #19
Buio

Quote:
And you have come to this conclusion from, assuming all that reported problems are pirates and believing what Starforce said?
Buio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-09, 12:28 AM   #20
fizzelopeguss

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
I'm pretty sure many of the recent online activation games haven't been cracked until after release. I have been shown huge forum threads on pirate boards for games like Mass Effect where pirates complain back and forth over not finding a working copy of the game on torrents.
Which is all that matters in the end, games are notoriously front loaded when it comes to sales. Delay piracy for a week and PC games have a fighting chance. Didn't they end up removing all the activation **** later on?
fizzelopeguss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-09, 06:50 AM   #21
stefan9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzelopeguss View Post
Which is all that matters in the end, games are notoriously front loaded when it comes to sales. Delay piracy for a week and PC games have a fighting chance. Didn't they end up removing all the activation **** later on?
BioShock had its limited activations removed, the ea games have not had that done. All that EA has done is give us tools to manage the activations with after a year, still limited to 5 activations.
2x2 gig ddr 2 1200 mhz ocz reaper ram
250 gig and 320 gig sata 2 seagate baracuda h/d
intel core2duo e8500
evga geforce 260gtx
sound max dts card
zalman 9500at
windows 7 home premium
stefan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-09, 08:22 AM   #22
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
in the long run off course it will fail, but the long run really doesn't matter, right around the release day is what matters.
IIRC, games see something like 75-85% of their sales in their first three weeks at retail. Obviously, you have exceptions such as Steam when they do a weekend deal. The point still stands - if pirates can be held at bay during the critical first couple weeks after launch, developers and publishers should do just fine.

The main thing that bugs me about some copy protection schemes, namely SecuROM, is that some versions make it hard for drives to read the disc in the first place. I had to buy a new DVD-RW drive not once, but twice, because neither one would read the Crysis disc. No virtual CD software was installed as I don't use those programs.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-09, 06:20 AM   #23
glObalist
working as intended

Quote:
SPTD issues are harder to spot with DVD drive, but with BD drive it is very obvious, it turned my 6xBD drive to 3.3xBD drive.
So, how hard exactly are they to spot with DVD drives? I don't mean to jump on the SF=TEHEVIL badwagon (in fact quite the opposite, I think it was the best protection ever) but assuming that since SPDT crippled YOUR BD drive it also causes DVD drives to malfunction, and thus finding a quick scapegoat for the SF fiasco is kind of bold.
Quote:
All MMO's are now baby-school weak. The only good MMO's make your eyes bleed and force you to eat glass. In my day we had to walk uphill in the snow 5 miles *JUST* to log in.
glObalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-09, 11:05 AM   #24
Misfire

Quote:
Again, rootkit in general is not ok, but they are a lot more common then you think.

few examples
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=27491

Sony rootkit wasn't good, but that doesn't mean that every rootkit is automatically evil, almost all Anti-Virus software vendors use rootkit to hide themself from certain virues/trojans. Alcohol and Daemon Tools also use rootkit in a bad way, it screws with your optical drives.
Regarding the SPTD issue with crippling your speed, would MagicISO (Magic-Disc Addon) have the same effect? It doesn't use SPTD, whcih is why im using it with Win7 right now.

PowerISO also doesn't use SPTD but it runs slow as hell for me on Win7.
MSI Geforce 560 TI Twin Frozr 1024MB @ 950/1800/2100
2.3 TB of Total Hard Drive Space
2 x Seagate 500GB 7200RPM HD
1 x Western Digital Caviar Black 1.0TB 7,200 HD
1 x Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM HD
1 x Seagate 320GB 7200RPM HD
Misfire is offline   Reply With Quote