Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-16-09, 06:56 PM   #1
Dreamweavernoob
Desperate code
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 790
Default 2000 to spend on a cinema setup

Okay, before I start off, I know 2000 isnt that much, but im young, and I am paying half, and cant really afford much more.

Just wondering whats the best I can get for this cash?

I have a HTPC already built if needs be, so if a pc is part of the equasion, consider it bought. (has Blu-ray).

So what would you say my best bang for buck is? Im sick and tired of my crappy Z-5500 which has crap bass and have FAR to much treble (i actually think its giving me tinnitus )

cheers


P.s just any thoughts at all are cool. I am open to projector and Tv suggestions (bear in mind I need some speakers as well).

I can possibly go over my budget a bit but it would have to be worth it
__________________
If you attack a prostitute, is it rape or merely shoplifting?
Dreamweavernoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-09, 12:00 AM   #2
Toss3
.<<o>>.
 
Toss3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Finland
Posts: 4,763
Default Re: 2000 to spend on a cinema setup

I'd rather spend the money you have now on either a decent projector and screen setup or sound system - not both. The reason being that you're either going to end up with a crappy sounding system with great video or the other way around.

You could also go the regular TV route, but a 100 inch screen is just too gorgeous to pass up.

I'd just get a Sony VPL-HW10 coupled with a ~100inch screen(should go a bit over your budget but boy is that a good looking home theater setup!). Trust me - you're not going to regret it!
__________________
: :Asus Rampage II Gene : : Core i7 920 4011Mhz : : 6Gb 1600Mhz A-Data DDR3 : : Club3D Theatron Agrippa : : Intel 80GB SSD : : 2xSamsung F1 750Gb : : Sapphire 5850 @ 850/1225Mhz : :
: :Benq FP241W : : Optoma HD80 Projector + 92" Screen : : Genelec 8020B speakers : : Sony MDR-XB700 Headphones : : Razer Lycosa : : Razer Lachesis : :
Toss3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-09, 11:20 AM   #3
Revs
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 6,365
Default Re: 2000 to spend on a cinema setup

My advice would be to read some reviews; get What HiFi and What TV. Once you've seen what you can get for the money you're looking spend, go out and have a look/listen to the stuff you've been checking out in the mags.

It just happens that I've spent about 2000 over the last few months on my home cinema stuff. TV is a 46" LCD Samsung (1000), Amp/Receiver is a Denon AVR-1508 (200) and the speakers are the 5.1 KEF-1005 kit (300). I've recently added a pair of Q-Acoustics 1050i speakers too (350) for music. The KEF's sound awesome but are a little lacking in the woofer range for music on their own. Now I've got it setup as I like it, it sounds fooking amazing. The Denon amps are great value, I would never have thought a 200 amp could have so much kick with really crisp quality.

The point is, you should be able to get some really nice kit for 2k. Just take your time and don't buy anything without seeing/hearing it in action.

As for a projector, IMO you'd have to spent all the 2k and maybe more to get a satisfactory image. And then there's the problem of bulbs. 250-500 for a bulb every 6-18 (depending whether or not you smoke) months or so is enough to put me off.

How big is the room your setup is going in? This will be a major factor in choosing speakers. Anyone who knows there sh!t in a hifi store will ask you this.
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-09, 01:17 PM   #4
XDanger
Whaaat?
 
XDanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 5,716
Default Re: 2000 to spend on a cinema setup

http://www.google.co.uk/products/cat...g=p#ps-sellers

Have a look in the bargain bin...
http://www.richersounds.com/clearanc...rancebargains1

Are these your speakers Revs?
http://www.richersounds.com/showprod...id=KEF-KHT1005
__________________
2500K 4.4ghz,P8P67Pro,120gb Force3, 12gb Vengeance,R9290,TX850v2,W7HP,LaCie Blue 22" crt COMMODORE 64 Silver Label 1Mhz/128D 4Mhz(Z80)
XDanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-09, 05:14 AM   #5
Revs
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 6,365
Default Re: 2000 to spend on a cinema setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDanger View Post
Yeah that's them. They were replaced by the 1005.2's last year but there are still a couple of shops with the old ones in stock, as your link shows, for cheap cheap. The new ones are black and do look better, but the active sub isn't as good IMO (less x-over and phase options on the new one). They were over 500 when they came out and I would still have been happy if I'd payed that, but 200 is a steal! The satellites are superb quality, each weighing about 2kg and, although they don't look like it, they are 2-way (the silver dome in the middle is a tweater).

These are the Q's..



and this is the amp..



Although it has been replaced by a new model now.

BTW Richer Sounds is probably the best place to be looking for a bargain.
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-09, 07:54 AM   #6
Dreamweavernoob
Desperate code
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 790
Default Re: 2000 to spend on a cinema setup

my room measurements are 18ft wide x 12ft width x 8ft (height)




the green things are windows and the orange a door.
__________________
If you attack a prostitute, is it rape or merely shoplifting?
Dreamweavernoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-09, 07:57 AM   #7
Dreamweavernoob
Desperate code
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 790
Default Re: 2000 to spend on a cinema setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toss3 View Post
I'd rather spend the money you have now on either a decent projector and screen setup or sound system - not both. The reason being that you're either going to end up with a crappy sounding system with great video or the other way around.

You could also go the regular TV route, but a 100 inch screen is just too gorgeous to pass up.

I'd just get a Sony VPL-HW10 coupled with a ~100inch screen(should go a bit over your budget but boy is that a good looking home theater setup!). Trust me - you're not going to regret it!
Tbh I dont actually have much money. 2000 is around my upper limit and will be for the forseeable time. Recession and whatnot.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Revs View Post
My advice would be to read some reviews; get What HiFi and What TV. Once you've seen what you can get for the money you're looking spend, go out and have a look/listen to the stuff you've been checking out in the mags.

It just happens that I've spent about 2000 over the last few months on my home cinema stuff. TV is a 46" LCD Samsung (1000), Amp/Receiver is a Denon AVR-1508 (200) and the speakers are the 5.1 KEF-1005 kit (300). I've recently added a pair of Q-Acoustics 1050i speakers too (350) for music. The KEF's sound awesome but are a little lacking in the woofer range for music on their own. Now I've got it setup as I like it, it sounds fooking amazing. The Denon amps are great value, I would never have thought a 200 amp could have so much kick with really crisp quality.

The point is, you should be able to get some really nice kit for 2k. Just take your time and don't buy anything without seeing/hearing it in action.

As for a projector, IMO you'd have to spent all the 2k and maybe more to get a satisfactory image. And then there's the problem of bulbs. 250-500 for a bulb every 6-18 (depending whether or not you smoke) months or so is enough to put me off.

How big is the room your setup is going in? This will be a major factor in choosing speakers. Anyone who knows there sh!t in a hifi store will ask you this.
Thanks. Ive got a month or so to get some reviews down. Considering my current cinema setup is a Z-5500 and a 24" monitor, I think it wont take much to beat it.

Also, is there any way to semi cheaply sound insulate a room?
__________________
If you attack a prostitute, is it rape or merely shoplifting?
Dreamweavernoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-09, 08:43 AM   #8
XDanger
Whaaat?
 
XDanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 5,716
Default Re: 2000 to spend on a cinema setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamweavernoob View Post
is there any way to semi cheaply sound insulate a room?
http://www.ascott-dairy.co.uk/acatal...-egg-PY36.html

Fibre Egg Tray pack of 140 (30 egg) Ref: PY36
Pack of 140 fibre egg trays, each tray holds 30 hens eggs. Suitable egg size up to large.
Tray size 295 x 290 mm
Price: 14.49 (Including VAT at 15%)

They take PayPal
__________________
2500K 4.4ghz,P8P67Pro,120gb Force3, 12gb Vengeance,R9290,TX850v2,W7HP,LaCie Blue 22" crt COMMODORE 64 Silver Label 1Mhz/128D 4Mhz(Z80)
XDanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-09, 10:47 AM   #9
Dreamweavernoob
Desperate code
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 790
Default Re: 2000 to spend on a cinema setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDanger View Post
http://www.ascott-dairy.co.uk/acatal...-egg-PY36.html

Fibre Egg Tray pack of 140 (30 egg) Ref: PY36
Pack of 140 fibre egg trays, each tray holds 30 hens eggs. Suitable egg size up to large.
Tray size 295 x 290 mm
Price: 14.49 (Including VAT at 15%)

They take PayPal


cheeply indeed.
__________________
If you attack a prostitute, is it rape or merely shoplifting?
Dreamweavernoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-09, 02:17 PM   #10
Revs
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 6,365
Default Re: 2000 to spend on a cinema setup

It don't look too hot but it works

Just have as much fabric and carpet in your room as you can without it looking like a hippy den
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-09, 05:03 PM   #11
XDanger
Whaaat?
 
XDanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 5,716
Default Re: 2000 to spend on a cinema setup

And some really deep flock wallpaper...


The downside of eggboxes (aswell as the aesthetics) is they'll turn your room into a furnace given the chance.



Having all your speakers on the ceiling pointing downwards means the sound doesnt migrate, Or so Ive heard.
But that would be Sh*t.
__________________
2500K 4.4ghz,P8P67Pro,120gb Force3, 12gb Vengeance,R9290,TX850v2,W7HP,LaCie Blue 22" crt COMMODORE 64 Silver Label 1Mhz/128D 4Mhz(Z80)
XDanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-09, 05:40 PM   #12
Dreamweavernoob
Desperate code
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 790
Default Re: 2000 to spend on a cinema setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revs View Post
It don't look too hot but it works

Just have as much fabric and carpet in your room as you can without it looking like a hippy den
Oh, sorry , I thought you were making a pun on chickens and "cheaply (cheep). My bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDanger View Post
And some really deep flock wallpaper...


The downside of eggboxes (aswell as the aesthetics) is they'll turn your room into a furnace given the chance.



Having all your speakers on the ceiling pointing downwards means the sound doesnt migrate, Or so Ive heard.
But that would be Sh*t.
Do you mean its a serious fire risk? That and the asthetics would put me off. If it made the room warmer I would not complain .

I seem to remember reading once that you could get these shapely shapes you could put on the wall. Must be mistaken .

Also, there is a curious oddity to my room. If I step outside the room, I can actually feel bass, where as in the room there is no discernable bass.
__________________
If you attack a prostitute, is it rape or merely shoplifting?
Dreamweavernoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Personal Cinema not working on GeForce4 Ti 4600 MacGyver0013 NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series 5 02-08-03 11:54 PM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.