Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: Should there be an option to disable Powermizer?
Yes! 114 95.80%
No! 5 4.20%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-14-09, 03:34 PM   #73
mooninite

Default Re: Should there be an option to disable Powermizer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantlivelong View Post
BUMP
If you want an educated guess or two as to why nVidia ignores this request, I'll give you one.

It may be that nVidia cannot provide an adjustable Powermizer feature because:

An OEM has explicitly requested Powermizer *not* be configurable.
or
Powermizer is controlled by the small microcode that is loaded upon driver initilization and cannot be altered unless an X restart is performed. This would explain as to why it is an xorg.conf setting and not a nvidia-settings setting.
mooninite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-09, 12:30 AM   #74
TheBlackCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooninite View Post
An OEM has explicitly requested Powermizer *not* be configurable.
It is configurable in windows, so this is very unlikely.

Quote:
Powermizer is controlled by the small microcode that is loaded upon driver initilization and cannot be altered unless an X restart is performed. This would explain as to why it is an xorg.conf setting and not a nvidia-settings setting.
There is no such xorg.conf setting, at least not one that works consistently. And even that is a hack using windows registry tweaks. If there was an xorg.conf setting that worked consistently then I don't think there would be anywhere near as many complaints.

And neither of those explains why Nvidia has told us nothing. Even if what you are saying is right, a simple "we aren't going to fix this" would make a big difference. But we haven't even been given that much. They have told us nothing.
TheBlackCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-09, 04:46 PM   #75
mooninite

BlackCat, your reply is of the same value as my own: none. Don't get into the mind set of "NVIDIA MUST ACKNOWLEDGE ME" because it's meaningless. You are a single "Joe Schmoe" in the world, which as a corporation, nVidia could really care less about.
Old 04-17-09, 04:28 PM   #76
GIDZzz
Plague Rat

Lightbulb Re: Should there be an option to disable Powermizer?

I wonder if there's a xorg.conf setting that will force a reply from someone related to NVIDIA... and it's more reliable than the PowerMizer ones... :/
GIDZzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-09, 11:44 PM   #77
TheBlackCat

Quote:
BlackCat, your reply is of the same value as my own: none.
No, it provides information. That alone makes it valuable. It may not be information I would like, but it is information nonetheless. It is better than nothing, which is what we have now.

Quote:
Don't get into the mind set of "NVIDIA MUST ACKNOWLEDGE ME" because it's meaningless. You are a single "Joe Schmoe" in the world, which as a corporation, nVidia could really care less about.
If this was just a problem for me, I would not be so concerned. But look at this thread, does it really look like I am the only one having a problem here?

And Nvidia does acknowledge individual users quite often. When people post a bug report here, they very often get a very quick response form an Nvidia representative. But not this bug, no matter how many people provide bug reports Nvidia says nothing. So this is not about Nvidia not acknowledging me, this is about Nvidia not acknowledging a problem with their drivers, one that a great many people have.
TheBlackCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-09, 10:58 AM   #78
ameza

Angry Re: Should there be an option to disable Powermizer?

Hi,

I am having I believe the same problem with some pretty expensive systems that I must build and deliver to my customers !!! I am getting a pathetic 75 Win/Sec on wm_torture benchmark utility from RasterMan.

However, based on my numerous testing on different gears, the Dell Precision T5400 Workstation w/ Quadro FX1700 is the one the less affected by the problem (cause it performs the best) Maybe specific code for that i5400 chipset variation !

My gear is: Tyan Tempest i5400XT, Dual E54XX CPUS, Quadro FX1700 and 9800GTX+

Here is my post for those interested: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=131730

St-Nvidia, please pray for us!
Old 04-21-09, 03:10 PM   #79
WladyX

voted yes. the xorg.conf hack does not work for me.
WladyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-09, 03:22 PM   #80
mooninite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameza View Post
I am having I believe the same problem with some pretty expensive systems that I must build and deliver to my customers !!! I am getting a pathetic 75 Win/Sec on wm_torture benchmark utility from RasterMan.

However, based on my numerous testing on different gears, the Dell Precision T5400 Workstation w/ Quadro FX1700 is the one the less affected by the problem (cause it performs the best) Maybe specific code for that i5400 chipset variation !

My gear is: Tyan Tempest i5400XT, Dual E54XX CPUS, Quadro FX1700 and 9800GTX+

Here is my post for those interested: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=131730
Your issue is not related to Powermizer.

For those of you with the speed of your cards "stuck" on minimum, why don't you edit your video BIOS to only have one speed - 100% - and reflash them. No, I'm not suggesting this as a permanent fix.

Old 04-21-09, 03:25 PM   #81
nkalkhof

Quote:

For those of you with the speed of your cards "stuck" on minimum, why don't you edit your video BIOS to only have one speed - 100% - and reflash them. No, I'm not suggesting this as a permanent fix.
I would be careful with that kind of suggestion. I've tried that with my 9600M GT and it didn't work. besides you'll loose warranty if you touch the video bios.
nkalkhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-09, 05:22 PM   #82
mooninite

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkalkhof View Post
I would be careful with that kind of suggestion. I've tried that with my 9600M GT and it didn't work. besides you'll loose warranty if you touch the video bios.
It will work. Laptops usually have the video BIOS embedded inside of the motherboard BIOS so you have to extract it first, edit the speeds, and re-embed the BIOS and flash it like you would a normal BIOS update for your laptop. I've done it on a 9650M GT.

Again, I am not suggesting this as a permanent fix. nkalkhof already ignored my warning.
Old 04-22-09, 02:17 AM   #83
nkalkhof

Quote:
It will work. Laptops usually have the video BIOS embedded inside of the motherboard BIOS so you have to extract it first, edit the speeds, and re-embed the BIOS and flash it like you would a normal BIOS update for your laptop. I've done it on a 9650M GT.

Again, I am not suggesting this as a permanent fix. nkalkhof already ignored my warning.
Please correct me if I'm wrong. But most of todays laptops are using MXM compatible GPU boards and to my knowledge the bios is on that board and not the motherboard. correct?
nkalkhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-09, 09:59 AM   #84
skektek

Quote:

That is an option. But it is rather ridiculous that a user would have to go to such lengths and risk voiding their warranty or worse bricking their card. Nvidia should just fix their drivers or at least offer an option to turn off Powermizer.
skektek is offline   Reply With Quote