Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Software Development

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-19-09, 01:27 PM   #25
Zhivago
*BANNED*

Default Re: Joining the Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor1182 View Post
I can't speak for others, but to me when I say C, I generally mean C++. I mean some of the times you are using straight C is when you are working at the embedded level, and even then most embedded compilers will take C++. The only time you are working with low level C++/C is with EE programming. Most other times you are working with OS commands of some sort.
Break the habit. C is not C++ and C++ is not C (no, not even a superset of C). The "C/C++" gibberish you see at times is also wrong since there is no such language.

What do you mean by OS commands?
Zhivago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-09, 11:45 AM   #26
thor1182
Spelling Expert?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhivago View Post
Break the habit. C is not C++ and C++ is not C (no, not even a superset of C). The "C/C++" gibberish you see at times is also wrong since there is no such language.

What do you mean by OS commands?
Yes there are differences, but they are minor enough to most people that only a few would be working at the level where you would know.

Most applications these days regardless of type are running on top of a OS layer. So either you are working with normal logic code, or calling OS commands to perform some system function. Very rarely are developers working straight to the metal.
-"Aqua 2": Water Cooled Intel i7 960, 12 GB DDR3 PC 12800, 3x Intel X-25-M 80 GB SSD RAID 0, SATA 1.5TB WD, EVGA GeForce GTX 470 Supper Clocked Water Cooled, ASUS P6X58D, Corsair 800D w/ Koolance cooling
thor1182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-09, 09:05 PM   #27
Marvel_us
FOOL!

Quote:
Yes there are differences, but they are minor enough to most people that only a few would be working at the level where you would know.
C++ is object oriented, C is not. That alone is a major difference.

60gb PS3 Owner
PSNid: Marvel_us
Marvel_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-09, 09:52 PM   #28
jcrox
Mahna Mahna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxion View Post
I really can't recommend to start with C at all, that's almost like telling someone to start with assembly. Don't get me wrong, C is nice, but not for starters. I'd recommend to start with C#, move to C++ after and if you are thinking C++ is nice you can try to look into C. I don't recommend to start with Java.
+1

Java is a lot easier after getting the basics down in a language like C# or VB.NET

Gaming

MSI MPower Z87 | 4770k | CNPS9900MAX-B | 8GB G.Skill 1866 | EVGA GTX760 |ThermalTake 850w | X-Fi Titanium | HAF | Asus PA248Q | Lycosa | Death Adder | Win8 Pro 64

Dev/Backup

MSI GD65 | 2500k | H50 | 8GB G.skill | GTX570 | Ubuntu 13.10

Laptop

17" Inspiron | i5 | 4GB DDR3 | 500GB HDD | Win7 Pro 64

jcrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-09, 10:21 PM   #29
Zhivago
*BANNED*

Quote:
With a line such as this, I trust you are misinformed about C, C++, or both.

Granted, if you (mis)-used C++ by treating it as basically a "better C" there might not be a great deal of difference at the surface, but you are failing to really exploit the true power of C++ (its object-oriented facilities).
Old 04-20-09, 10:28 PM   #30
Zhivago
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrox View Post
+1

Java is a lot easier after getting the basics down in a language like C# or VB.NET
Well Java is sufficiently similar to C# where I really wouldn't put one ahead of the other as to which one would be better to start off with. I suppose it would depend on other factors, such as whether you know a Java guru who can mentor you, local employers' needs, etc..

I would probably second the opinion that it is not optimal to start with C. C is a horribly primitive (or just plain horrible at times) byte-processing language and lacks many modern features found in more recent languages. When learning a first language, it would be preferable to spend your time thinking about problem solving, not fussing with obscure memory management issues.
Old 04-21-09, 08:16 AM   #31
thor1182
Spelling Expert?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhivago View Post
With a line such as this, I trust you are misinformed about C, C++, or both.

Granted, if you (mis)-used C++ by treating it as basically a "better C" there might not be a great deal of difference at the surface, but you are failing to really exploit the true power of C++ (its object-oriented facilities).
Lets go with misinformed, or forgot that bit from classes. No OO verse OO is a BIG difference, your right. Even still, few people have a reason to use straight C unless they are doing EE stuff... unless you are some sort of purist.
-"Aqua 2": Water Cooled Intel i7 960, 12 GB DDR3 PC 12800, 3x Intel X-25-M 80 GB SSD RAID 0, SATA 1.5TB WD, EVGA GeForce GTX 470 Supper Clocked Water Cooled, ASUS P6X58D, Corsair 800D w/ Koolance cooling
thor1182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-09, 09:40 AM   #32
lunix

Send a message via MSN to lunix

Learn to program.
Learn games programming.

Perhaps I'm old fashioned but I still think C is a great language to learn to program in. There is few keywords. You get to learn loops and decision constructs. Its closer to the wire and you get a sense of what is actually happening in the computer. Its also a good idea to understand procedural programming. Once you understand these basics you can start to learn the OO paradigm.

On windows the "Visual" studio IDE is what you want to get. If your thinking 3D games C++ is where you want to end up.

Old 04-23-09, 05:54 PM   #33
Dreamweavernoob
Desperate code

You guys knowledge is up here.

(a few galaxys here)

Mine is here.

Anyway, ive had an idea for a game that ive had for a few years now and with the advent of touch screen phones, it would fit one perfectly.

Obviously im not concerned with teh monies, but it would be nice to see it implemented after having it knock around in my brain for these past 6-7yrs.
Old 04-25-09, 06:28 PM   #34
jcrox
Mahna Mahna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamweavernoob View Post
You guys knowledge is up here.

(a few galaxys here)

Mine is here.

Anyway, ive had an idea for a game that ive had for a few years now and with the advent of touch screen phones, it would fit one perfectly.

Obviously im not concerned with teh monies, but it would be nice to see it implemented after having it knock around in my brain for these past 6-7yrs.
You need to look at what programming language you need for which phone. For example I believe the IPhone uses Objective C where Google's phone uses Java. I could be wrong on that but, I don't believe you can just program in any old language and distribute the app to any old phone.

Gaming

MSI MPower Z87 | 4770k | CNPS9900MAX-B | 8GB G.Skill 1866 | EVGA GTX760 |ThermalTake 850w | X-Fi Titanium | HAF | Asus PA248Q | Lycosa | Death Adder | Win8 Pro 64

Dev/Backup

MSI GD65 | 2500k | H50 | 8GB G.skill | GTX570 | Ubuntu 13.10

Laptop

17" Inspiron | i5 | 4GB DDR3 | 500GB HDD | Win7 Pro 64

jcrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-09, 09:36 PM   #35
Marvel_us
FOOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrox View Post
You need to look at what programming language you need for which phone. For example I believe the IPhone uses Objective C where Google's phone uses Java. I could be wrong on that but, I don't believe you can just program in any old language and distribute the app to any old phone.
Sounds right to me. Android uses java, you can't just code it in C++ and upload it to the phone.

60gb PS3 Owner
PSNid: Marvel_us
Marvel_us is offline   Reply With Quote