Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-22-09, 12:58 AM   #25
openmedia

Default Re: 8200 (IGP) based motherboards not suitable for VDPAU?

You need to do the following
1. Set DISPLAY to the monitor you want to make your changes

2. Type
nvidia-settings -c :0.0

You should then pull up the settings for the locally attached display. This works well over X Forwarding when debugging display output with live tv.
openmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-09, 02:15 AM   #26
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by openmedia View Post
You need to do the following
1. Set DISPLAY to the monitor you want to make your changes

2. Type
nvidia-settings -c :0.0

You should then pull up the settings for the locally attached display. This works well over X Forwarding when debugging display output with live tv.
You can do it the other way too, by setting DISPLAY=:0.0 and running nvidia-settings -c localhost:10 (or whatever your SSH forwarded display is) on your local machine. It's a little quicker because the part you're interacting with is running locally and only the NV-CONTROL queries are going over the remote connection.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-09, 03:09 AM   #27
mulder77

OK, I did that like openmedia suggested and was confused that this shouldn't work.

I checked again if I did something wrong and saw that the 8200 was reported, so it worked (I only have one 8200 card).

I am still stuck to the problem which - from my point of view - is not related to the performance levels of the 8200 as there is only one.
Even more, the fact that runnig a CPU intensive application helps to have smooth video playback via VDPAU, indicates some timing problems.

I will now investigate into upgrading the kernel to 2.6.29 (never done this in Ubuntu), hopefully this will help.

Markus
mulder77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-09, 04:30 AM   #28
mulder77

There are two other things I noticed which might be affiliated with this problem:

- xrandr shows a display of 1280x720@50Hz. But it should be 1366x768@60Hz. It's a Samsung display with an HDMI input.

- XBMC runs in full screen. It renders at 30 FPS when VSYNC is enabled and the CPU isn't used.
When the CPU is at 100%, so that VDPAU runs fine then, XBMC renders at 60 FPS as it should. When VSYNC is disabled, it renders at higher rates.

So, bringing the CPU to 100% (even at 1.8GHz), will fix the VDPAU problem and XBMC renders correctly at 60 FPS.

This all might be connected to each other, but I still don't have an idea what this might be.

Markus
Old 04-22-09, 04:44 AM   #29
motd2k

I have several VDPAU capable machines and cards, and get this behaviour on only the 8200. There does seem to be something peculiar about this card's OpenGL performance.
motd2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-09, 06:48 AM   #30
mulder77

Quote:
Originally Posted by motd2k View Post
I have several VDPAU capable machines and cards, and get this behaviour on only the 8200. There does seem to be something peculiar about this card's OpenGL performance.
Hmm, as apaige is running his setup on a 8300, maybe there is something wrong with the 8200.
Which kernel do you run on your systems?

@ AaronP, Stephen Warren:
Is there something known regarding the 8200 as there seem to be many people having problems with the 8200?

Markus
Old 04-22-09, 07:04 AM   #31
motd2k

I've tried with Hardy, Intrepid, and Jaunty (with all versions of 180 and 185) - same problem. I actually made a patch for XBMC to fix this, it only occurs if you start the app in full-screen mode... starting windowed and then switching to fullscreen is fine. Not sure if that helps anyone tracking down the cause; to me it appears to be a problem between the NVIDIA driver's OpenGL implementation and SDLs fullscreen - weird that it doesnt show up on the other 8x00/9x00 iGPUs though!
Old 04-22-09, 07:39 AM   #32
mulder77

Quote:
I've tried with Hardy, Intrepid, and Jaunty (with all versions of 180 and 185) - same problem. I actually made a patch for XBMC to fix this, it only occurs if you start the app in full-screen mode... starting windowed and then switching to fullscreen is fine. Not sure if that helps anyone tracking down the cause; to me it appears to be a problem between the NVIDIA driver's OpenGL implementation and SDLs fullscreen - weird that it doesnt show up on the other 8x00/9x00 iGPUs though!
What are you referring to? VDPAU and/or the refresh rate in the XBMC app?

Can you explain the patch you've applied?

Markus

Old 04-22-09, 09:11 AM   #33
motd2k

The refresh rate, however I'm assuming they're both the same problem.
Old 04-22-09, 09:20 AM   #34
mulder77

Quote:
The refresh rate, however I'm assuming they're both the same problem.
From which revision on is this patch included?
Old 04-22-09, 10:17 AM   #35
mulder77

Quote:
BTW, I had the very same problem with the refresh rates on an older 7050 based motherboard.

I switched to the 8200 for VDPAU.
Old 04-22-09, 10:34 AM   #36
motd2k

there is a diff here, however its terribly hacky and so isnt included on SVN. A fix to make this unnecessary on the 8200s would be very warmly welcomed.

http://xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46783&page=14