Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 7

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-27-09, 03:33 AM   #13
LovingSticky
plenty of work, no games

Default Re: Windows 7 will contain Windows XP (virtualized)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
That's a shame. Vista's bad rep is not deserved imo.
Most of Vista "bad rep" comes from two sources:

- people massively stealing Vista using cracks to activate it (these cracks were, due to much better antipiracy protection, highly unstable), screaming all over the net about "horrible experience" with their cracked version -> so they went back to XP, were cracks were more "mature", bashing Vista

- people with 5 year old PCs w/ 1GB of RAM, who experienced performance drops comparing to XP, do not taking into account Windows Search, Windows Defender and other services built-in into Vista, but not XP

People who purchased Vista and have decent PCs are extremely happy. Rock-solid OS, in SP1 with identical kernel to Windows 2008 Server.

I viewed Windows 7 as "Vista SP2", but there are some nice things, like virtualization, that make it a bit more. I have no problem with Microsoft selling "Service Packs". Apple is doing this for ages (10.3, 10.4, 10.5 OS X updates include very little new stuff, even less then you can freely download for Microsoft OSes - Windows Defender, excellent Windows Live Mail, Windows Live Messenger, Windows Live Photogallery, Windows Desktop Search, IE8, Microsoft Earth, Office 2007 compatibility packs for Office 2003, and myryads of other apps are available freely for Windows XP as well). Can you imagine Apple giving so much apps for free for 8 year old OS?

In fact, Microsoft is too generous most of the time
Old 04-27-09, 04:23 AM   #14
K007

Most people i think hated Vista because there old machine couldn't run it.
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-09, 08:16 AM   #15
Absolution
AbsoUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
Vista Second Edition basically.

best clue is the is Server OS.

Server 2008 based on Vista Sp1
Server 2008 R2 based on Windows 7

They basically had to change the name for consumer level OS because of rather lower intelligence* of general consumers, and initial bad publicity around vista.
They are actually just staying consistent with their naming conventions - it was the same way for Windows Server 2003.
Absolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-09, 08:23 AM   #16
bacon12

I think too it was the lack of stability in drivers when it was first released especially video.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-09, 08:56 AM   #17
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSticky View Post

- people massively stealing Vista using cracks to activate it (these cracks were, due to much better antipiracy protection, highly unstable), screaming all over the net about "horrible experience" with their cracked version -> so they went back to XP, were cracks were more "mature", bashing Vista
I never once pirated a copy of Windows Vista and I hate it. See below

Quote:
- people with 5 year old PCs w/ 1GB of RAM, who experienced performance drops comparing to XP, do not taking into account Windows Search, Windows Defender and other services built-in into Vista, but not XP

People who purchased Vista and have decent PCs are extremely happy. Rock-solid OS, in SP1 with identical kernel to Windows 2008 Server.
Even though I've always had a mid-range PC (aka up to date at least), Vista has always ran like poo. Until I got my latest rig (see sig) and set it all up the way I wanted it to with a x64 copy, things are finally at a decent speed. My workstation at work isn't the best PC in the world (2.2Ghz C2D, 2GB RAM, ATI 2400HD) but Vista is absolutely SLOWER than S***. I can't have more than about 5 apps open at one time without having to sit there and wait on everything; my 2GB of RAM got maxed out quite easily. The good thing is that people at my workplace have seen what Win7 can do and they want it on their machines as soon as it releases.

I did have Windows 7 on there a month or two ago and it was a night and day difference in speed. Can't wait to throw the final version on all of my machines!

Quote:
I agree that Vista has been a stepping stone no doubt. I just don't like the performance of Vista and never have. Windows 7 though is going to redeem MS of this one. I'm still impressed over the speed and new features of Win7. I just hope I don't come across the problem of not being able to find good drivers on my gaming rig lol.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-09, 09:53 AM   #18
Absolution
AbsoUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post

Even though I've always had a mid-range PC (aka up to date at least), Vista has always ran like poo. Until I got my latest rig (see sig) and set it all up the way I wanted it to with a x64 copy, things are finally at a decent speed. My workstation at work isn't the best PC in the world (2.2Ghz C2D, 2GB RAM, ATI 2400HD) but Vista is absolutely SLOWER than S***. I can't have more than about 5 apps open at one time without having to sit there and wait on everything; my 2GB of RAM got maxed out quite easily. The good thing is that people at my workplace have seen what Win7 can do and they want it on their machines as soon as it releases.
Have you tried turning off superfetch? I find that it slows down my pc quite a bit - it doesn't index files when it should (aka when I'm not at my pc).
Absolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-09, 10:49 AM   #19
Zelda_fan

Windows 7 is a hell of a lot more than a service pack.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-09, 10:55 AM   #20
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSticky View Post

I viewed Windows 7 as "Vista SP2", but there are some nice things, like virtualization, that make it a bit more. I have no problem with Microsoft selling "Service Packs". Apple is doing this for ages (10.3, 10.4, 10.5 OS X updates include very little new stuff, even less then you can freely download for Microsoft OSes - Windows Defender, excellent Windows Live Mail, Windows Live Messenger, Windows Live Photogallery, Windows Desktop Search, IE8, Microsoft Earth, Office 2007 compatibility packs for Office 2003, and myryads of other apps are available freely for Windows XP as well). Can you imagine Apple giving so much apps for free for 8 year old OS?

- The crack doesn't make the OS run bad LMAO. Its an activation crack using SLIC bios to make the OS think it's a Dell or ASUS PC. It has nothing to do with performance. Wow to this - just wow. I didn't think people were that clueless. You should work for the MPAA or RIAA.

- 5 year old PCs with 1GB ram run Windows 7 beautifully. Vista was just a hog plain and simple. Stop defending the garbage. Netbooks runs Windows 7 beautifully too. Win7 still has Windows Search, defender and the "other services" you mentioned yet runs 100x better than Vista.

- the Vista kernal wasn't the same as Server 2008 until SP1 I believe.

- Vista SP2 vs Windows 7 - no contest. I'm running the believed gold code of SP2 on my machine and on another HD Windows 7 7100. Same hardware, same overclock on GPU and CPU, and it's no contest. Ram usage is far lower in Windows 7, everything is faster. Again, Vista is, was and will always be a resource hog - you can put lipstick on a pig all you want...

I think you were as far wrong on all points as anyone possibly could be. Teh internets have phailed you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-09, 10:59 AM   #21
pkirby11

Send a message via AIM to pkirby11

Windows 7 is amazing, plain and simple. They finally started listening again to what the consumer wants. Windows XP Mode (XPM) is going to be amazing for businesses that were leary of upgrading.

To some that were asking yes Windows 7 is bases off kernel 6.1, there was a stupid rumour floating around that they were going to rename the kernel to 7 but that's just a stupid rumour.

As for XPM, yes it's free but you do have to download the components. For those on MSDN/Technet sounds like we may get a beta to play with later this weekend. Thinking it will be on the 30th of April when the RC launches for MSDN/Technet. I did not see however were it was mentioned but XPM is only available for Business, Enterprise and Ultimate versions of Windows 7. Again this is mostly for business use.

Can't wait, Windows 7 RC is released to MSDN/Technet April 30th and I'm hoping the beta of XPM is too. For all of you waiting for a legit copy of RC build 7100 that aren't a member of MSDN/Technet it will be available May 5th for download.

PSN: pkirby11
pkirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-09, 03:42 PM   #22
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkirby11 View Post
For all of you waiting for a legit copy of RC build 7100 that aren't a member of MSDN/Technet it will be available May 5th for download.
lmao. you do know it's already out, right?

Quote:
Old 04-27-09, 04:08 PM   #23
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

I'm a little surprised that the RC wasn't out on my work's MSDN account. Oh well, the torrents only took a day to dl.

I put the RC on my netbook earlier this afternoon and it's quite nice. Can't say that there are many differences between the Beta and RC, but it's still running very well.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-09, 04:30 PM   #24
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
I'm a little surprised that the RC wasn't out on my work's MSDN account. Oh well, the torrents only took a day to dl.

I put the RC on my netbook earlier this afternoon and it's quite nice. Can't say that there are many differences between the Beta and RC, but it's still running very well.
Newgroups FTW. Had both x64 and x86 in 20 mins.

Quote: